It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 17:42
rockroars wrote:
Should be C. Most logical and sequential sentence flow than the rest.

I dont think so as there is an "and" after a ",". I chose B. I dont know why B is wrong.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 07:50
very hard
the key here is again meaning analysis. but this meaning analysis here is hard

comparing or laying
which is before

very hard to realize that comparing in the content of the thesis anh happen before laying

in the test room. very hard though it is only meaing analysis.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 07:55
very hard
the key here is again meaning analysis. but this meaning analysis here is hard

comparing or laying
which is before

very hard to realize that comparing in the content of the thesis anh happen before laying

in the test room. very hard though it is only meaing analysis.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Schools: Kelley '19 (WL)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 10:58
Chose C and got it wrong :(

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17090 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 SC : First published in 1946, and comparing the ways [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 15:43
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible.

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both , Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17090 [0], given: 1963

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: #Top150 SC : First published in 1946, and comparing the ways [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 21:22
souravjhalani wrote:
??? more concise...Why not C

souravjhalani wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible.

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both , Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

If you chose C, you are too quick in reacting to the lead noun modifier (First published in 1946). We all think, ah ok after the comma, we need a book/article or whatever that can be published, and we tend to miss out on the other important clue (from the very early times to his days).

This phrase indicates that this happened in the past, so instead of using the present tense verb LAY, we should be using LAID. Go through the choices again and you will realise A is the correct answer, where First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible is one big modifier

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 36

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 870 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 04:23

laying the foundation is an action that happened in the past. It no longer happens now.
There is a split between the answer choices using
1. laid
2. laying
3. lays
Due to above reason laying and lays usage is wrong.

(I eliminated this choice for comparing used in parallel to published)

(Laying is improper here, Also the order of events is improper)

the work compares and lays the foundation is parallel
I chose this one for the same reason.
missed lays concept mentioned above

lays error repeated.

bolded portion here is improper in construction with misplaced words and redundant

can some explain how comparing is correct in usage here.
I got the explanation for the same
I thought to post it here so that it can be of help to someone like me. :-D

maheshmadala19 wrote:
Though C is gramatically correct, it alters the meanig of the sentence.
Original sentence says : BY COMAPARING, MIMESIS LAID FOUNDATION
Where as C states : MIMESIS COMPARES AND LAYS FOUNDATION

Put everything aside, In GMAT "conveying the intended meaning" takes first place, ahead of any other Grammar rule.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 870 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 09:10
why C is wrong? and A is correct? why comparing is true?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 475

Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 10:41
Someone needs to edit the answer choice A. The way I see it, there's no verb for 'Mimesis'.

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 475

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 44

WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 02:10
If A is the answer, I do not think there should be a "," after First published in 1946.

The question is wrong?

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 03:44
May be it is true that one does not have to use a comma when two short phrases are involved. But when a long modifier is involved, then it might be okay to use a comma. And the point to note here is that, the GMAC isn’t fastidious about comma in general, unless the intended meaning gets distorted. Does the meaning here get distorted because a comma has been used? I am willing to learn f, if my understanding of GMAT is deficient-- the original poster

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 05:29
daagh wrote:
May be it is true that one does not have to use a comma when two short phrases are involved. But when a long modifier is involved, then it might be okay to use a comma. And the point to note here is that, the GMAC isn’t fastidious about comma in general, unless the intended meaning gets distorted. Does the meaning here get distorted because a comma has been used? I am willing to learn f, if my understanding of GMAT is deficient-- the original poster

I tend to agree with you. But problems with A do not just stop there. Parallelism is lost between Published and Comparing. Published is what happened to the book and comparing is what it does. I am not too sure, but the sentence means that act of publishing of the book happened when the book was comparing something. Unless, I am completely muddled up I have reasonable confidence to believe there is something wrong with the option A.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 7934 [1], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anilisanil,
Hi
If that is your problem, then please look at these solid examples from OG.
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and root like tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

This has two modifiers namely ‘spawned’ and ‘extending’. The ‘spawned’ refers to how the filigree originated and extending refers to how far the filigree extends, two different contexts altogether. According to your reasoning, the correct OA “A” must be wrong, because the modifiers are referring to two different actions. Is that so?
Look at another solid case from OG;

Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to draw a soldier's pension, joined the Continental Army in 1782 at the age of 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become too ill to serve.

A. 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become
B. 22, was injured three times, while being discharged in 1783 because she had become
C. 22, and was injured three times, and discharged in 1783, being
D. 22, injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she was
E. 22, having been injured three times and discharged in 1783, being

The OA is A for a different set of reasons. But the modifiers at the start of the sentence “Dressed as a man’ and ‘using the name Robert’” are not even underlined. ‘Dressed’ is how she appeared and ‘using’ is what she did. Is this example incorrect according to you?
You may get plenty of such examples in the Official guide and the GMAT Prep data, if you search more. I know for sure that this basic confusion is what drives many away from the correct choice and GMAT would like exploit it to the hilt.
Please tell me if the given question is still wrong?

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 08:13
daagh I really appreciate your involvement in the discussion. No offence about the question. I should not have jumped to the conclusion on the veracity of the question. Please accept my apologies.

In the examples you have given, the action (verbs) is performed on the subject.

The mushroom was fertilized, the mushroom was extending for more than 30 acres.

Dressed ( is act of dressing) and using the name ( the act of using the name) both were performed by the same person.

However, we cannot say the same about published. The book got published ( it is an object here?); someone published the book.

But the act of comparison is done by the book or through the book ( here the book is the subject). Which is why I got confused. I may still be wrong. I am just trying to get things right here and will appreciate your views here.

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 08:25
No worry my dear friend. You are entitled to your view and I have no reason to change it. Best wishes

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: New Project - First published in 1946, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 10:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:

Let's understand the meaning first:
Mimesis - published in 1946 & comparing the ways the world appears both in X and Y
Mimesis is a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach

Mimesis laid the foundation for Unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his day.

Choice A looks good. Introductory noun modifiers are parallel thus published and comparing is correct. Both X and Y idiom correctly used. The verb laid correctly states that the foundation happened in the past.
Beginning from X to Y - correct idiom.

No meaning errors, no grammatical errors. The sentence is correct as is.

this one changes the meaning. It switches the focus from laying the foundation to comparing the worlds. Incorrect.

First, comparison of the world is no longer a modifier, and thus has the same importance as the laying the foundation. This is incorrect. Lays - is incorrect, as the foundation happened in the past

this might be tricky. The verb lays is incorrect. the rest looks good.

the comparison is between world in Odyssey and the world in Bible - thus incorrect.
Comparing X with Y - I don't think this is a correct idiom. Though, I might be mistaken.

By PoE, we are convinced that A is truly the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 184

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 48

GPA: 3.76
WE: Supply Chain Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 10:39
I end up with answer choice "C" though i failed to notice that "lay' is not correct form of verb for this particular SC.

Appreciate Kudos if the post seems worthwhile!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 01:20
Hi daagh,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, i didn't select option A because there is no verb for the noun Mimesis, it is only surrounded by modifiers (unless there is a comma missing before laid) and that would be considered fragment sentence, isn't it ?

Thank you.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 02:07
This post received
KUDOS
You are correct Swaroop; a comma is needed. Thanks for pointing. If I remember correct, I have already written about this, but can’t lay my hand on now.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 02:20
Hi daagh,

Thank you for the clarification.

P.S. Always found your analysis and explanations very helpful. Kudos for that.

Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2015, 02:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 88 posts ] 

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap