It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 72

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 07:38
That the past tense in A is the only element that differentiates the answer choice to D is debatable. I chose D because the book still exists and still lays out the foundation of a unified theory today. So the tense doesn't have to match the past "published”.

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 72

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Icecream87 wrote:
That the past tense in A is the only element that differentiates the answer choice to D is debatable. I chose D because the book still exists and still lays out the foundation of a unified theory today. So the tense doesn't have to match the past "published”.

Laying of foundation is an event that can happen only at a particular point of time; the action cannot be in simple present tense, i.e., something that regularly happens. Mimesis laid the foundation long time ago; it may still be an important book, but foundation laying was started and completed in the past. Hence past simple is the appropriate tense.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [2], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 424

Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 10:24
Was between C and D because those were the only ones that were not a sentence fragment regardless if 'lays' is not correct. I went with D but was very iffy on my answer choice. Choice A can not be the right answer without a comma after Auerbach or else it is a sentence fragment. Would have not eliminated A if I saw that comma. Someone should change the answer choice!

Last edited by alpham on 01 Jul 2016, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 424

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 13:25
alpham wrote:
Was between C and D because those were the only ones that were not a sentence fragment regardless if lays is not not correct. I went with D but was very iffy on my answer choice. Choice A can not be the right answer without a comma after Auerbach or else it is a sentence fragment. Would have not eliminated A if I saw that comma. Someone should change the answer choice!

Corrected the question and the option A. Thank you for pointing out.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Research (Computer Software)
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 09:31
How can A) be correct? There is no period at the end of the sentence!!!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 14:19
STEMBusiness wrote:
How can A) be correct? There is no period at the end of the sentence!!!

Valid "point".... corrected.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 11:54
Damnit. I choose for C, but it's A. Those mistakes are sooooo trickey, hehe!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 20:01
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days.

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible
It seems like 'his' is referring to Mimesis which is nonsensical. Thus, I eliminated this option.

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
The treatise was published in 1946 (past), and it laid the foundation of X beginning from very early times to the author's days. Mimesis compares the ways the world appears... is a fact and thus we can use the present tense, but present tense can't be used with foundation when a time period is mentioned. If we were to use present tense then the latter part of the sentence should look like this - and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature. I believe that although this version would have been grammatically correct, it wouldn't have the merit to qualify as the correct answer choice as a vital information - the time period - is missing

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
Commits the same mistake as C does. Lays -> Laid

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
This is not the intended comparison.

Left with Option A.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 00:14
The explanation given in the thread seems sufficient.
first-published-in-1946-and-comparing-the-ways-the-world-103321.html#p804901
first-published-in-1946-and-comparing-the-ways-the-world-103321-40.html#p1681067

In case there are other queries, please post here and click the "request expert reply" again....... closing the current request.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 13:00
Could you please explain? I thought it would be correct to have the subject after the comma.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 01:50
SourabhRoy25 wrote:
Could you please explain? I thought it would be correct to have the subject after the comma.

The subject "Mimesis" is after the comma. Could you elaborate your query? There are two opening modifiers in parallel (joined by "and") referring to the subject - the modifiers are:

1. First published in 1946
2. comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 04:14
Tricky question. C is wrong because verbs keep switching tense. I was going to go with B, but B completely changes the meaning of what the author is trying to say, thus, A is the only possible option.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 02:12
Thanks for the debrief. Although, 'C' seems logical here, but 'A' takes over all.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 03:37
sayantanc2k wrote:
SourabhRoy25 wrote:

The subject "Mimesis" is after the comma. Could you elaborate your query? There are two opening modifiers in parallel (joined by "and") referring to the subject - the modifiers are:

2. comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible

Hi sayantanc2k !

In the non-underlined portion, there is a comma (,) after 1946. Is it just a typo?

Can I eliminate option C because it joins two identities compares the ways... and lays the foundation... by comma + and (, and) ?

Many thanks for your response! :P

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 232

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 06:30
leanhdung wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
SourabhRoy25 wrote:

Hi sayantanc2k !

In the non-underlined portion, there is a comma (,) after 1946. Is it just a typo?

Can I eliminate option C because it joins two identities compares the ways... and lays the foundation... by comma + and (, and) ?

Many thanks for your response! :P

GMAT will never test on such small syntax errors. C is wrong as it doesn't have intended meaning. Laying happened in the past when the book was published , so the verb should be 'laid'. comma + and is used to join 2 independent clauses.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 11:37
daagh wrote:
Let us just get hold of the gist.

1. A book first - published - in 1946 – a past participle is rightly used.
2. A book is -comparing - something ( even as of today) so a present participle – comparing – is rightly used.
3. Comparison is between the way world appears in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible. Comparison is not between the whole books of Odyssey and Bible.
4. The book laid the foundation for something beginning from early times to his days. - To his days - is the key here, restricting the foundation as something of a past and not applicable at the moment. So the correct expression for this will be a simple past – laid -.

It may be seen that only A fits in

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach – laid - the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days –
Right choice

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible.
Wrong because, comparison should come first and then the laying the foundation

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
wrong

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
wrong

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
E – Compares Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible which alters the intent.

Thanks daagh for the explanation. However, I had a doubt. I am not convinced that 'laid' should be used rather than 'lays'. We are talking about a foundation here. Now, whether the foundation is for a period that has already ended or for a current period, it should ideally have no impact on whether it still continues to lay that foundation or now. It is a fact that the book lays the foundation.

E.g., The book lays down the history of events from 1882 to 1913 sounds correct to me.

Kindly correct if my understanding is wrong. Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 09:25
i chose A because of the word laid. and idiom both.. and...

Target gmat against the odds.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 05:12
daagh wrote:
Let us just get hold of the gist.

1. A book first - published - in 1946 – a past participle is rightly used.
2. A book is -comparing - something ( even as of today) so a present participle – comparing – is rightly used.
3. Comparison is between the way world appears in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible. Comparison is not between the whole books of Odyssey and Bible.
4. The book laid the foundation for something beginning from early times to his days. - To his days - is the key here, restricting the foundation as something of a past and not applicable at the moment. So the correct expression for this will be a simple past – laid -.

It may be seen that only A fits in

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach – laid - the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days –
Right choice

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible.
Wrong because, comparison should come first and then the laying the foundation

wrong

wrong

E – Compares Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible which alters the intent.

Daagh - question regarding the last bit of the sentence, which says that "The book laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from early times to his days.". I felt that the use of "his" was ambiguous. Since Auerbach sits within a non-essential modifier, and further, "laid" clearly references Mimesis, it sounds like "his" is also referencing Mimesis. Is there a grammar rule that allows us to definitely say that "his" points to Auerbach and not Mimesis?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 04:32
jy295 wrote:
Daagh - question regarding the last bit of the sentence, which says that "The book laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from early times to his days.". I felt that the use of "his" was ambiguous. Since Auerbach sits within a non-essential modifier, and further, "laid" clearly references Mimesis, it sounds like "his" is also referencing Mimesis. Is there a grammar rule that allows us to definitely say that "his" points to Auerbach and not Mimesis?

Hi,
I think "his" is not ambiguous because it cannot refer to Mimesis. Mimesis is not a person, it is name of a "treatise" as mentioned in the question.

[Still waiting for response from expert Daagh]

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Re: New Project - First published in 1946, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 05:58
New Project - Reviving the hardest questions on GMAT Club. Kudos for every reply with an explanation in the first 24 hours!

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days correct

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both , Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days change in meaning

Use of present tense of lay/laying is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Re: New Project - First published in 1946,   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2017, 05:58

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 87 posts ] 

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap