It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: New Project - First published in 1946, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 10:00
mvictor wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

Let's understand the meaning first:
Mimesis - published in 1946 & comparing the ways the world appears both in X and Y
Mimesis is a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach

Mimesis laid the foundation for Unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his day.

Choice A looks good. Introductory noun modifiers are parallel thus published and comparing is correct. Both X and Y idiom correctly used. The verb laid correctly states that the foundation happened in the past.
Beginning from X to Y - correct idiom.

No meaning errors, no grammatical errors. The sentence is correct as is.

(A) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days

(B and laying the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach compared the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible.
this one changes the meaning. It switches the focus from laying the foundation to comparing the worlds. Incorrect.

(C) Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, compares the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, and lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
First, comparison of the world is no longer a modifier, and thus has the same importance as the laying the foundation. This is incorrect. Lays - is incorrect, as the foundation happened in the past

(D) and comparing the ways the world appears both in Homer’s Odyssey and in the Bible, Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach, lays the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
this might be tricky. The verb lays is incorrect. the rest looks good.

(E) and comparing Homer’s Odyssey with the Bible and the ways the world appears in both , Mimesis, a philosophical treatise written by Auerbach laid the foundation for a unified theory of western literature beginning from the very early times to his days
the comparison is between world in Odyssey and the world in Bible - thus incorrect.
Comparing X with Y - I don't think this is a correct idiom. Though, I might be mistaken.

By PoE, we are convinced that A is truly the correct answer.

The reason why I eliminated A was that the structure of the sentence is as follows [Modifier][Noun][Modifier]. The basic sentence lacks a verb . Can you please explain what is wrong in the way i am thinking?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 73

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 00:26
Please help with this question.
It is really confusing

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 00:30
Does not option A requires a comma before laid?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 172

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
New Project - First published in 1946, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 03:35
I eliminated A because of lacking a comma before 'laid'.

Moreover, I don't see any problem with D. The given fact is true at present also. The laying of fundation of the theory is one time event. Later, the theory may be modified, but the matter of foundation is always same. So, if an event talks about a theory that is true for all time, it can be described using simple present tense.

Am I wrong?

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 172

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 08:47
I am not thoroughly convinced with the OA. Shouldn't C be the correct choice?

I don't understand this.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 317

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 08:04
"and" indicates a parallelism here.

but comparing the ways the world used as a modifier but starts with , and. how A is correct?

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 317

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 12:22
C seems most relevant but because of in coorect use of tense form of lays A is correct.........

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 20:23
C

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Re: First published in 1946, and comparing the ways the world   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2017, 20:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 88 posts ]