GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 437
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 11:27
Hi there, and thanks for writing! You have a really interesting background.

Freelancing and family business absolutely count as work experience. You'll want to make it clear on your resume and application the impact you've made in the roles you've had (whether qualitative or quantitative) and highlight how you've demonstrated leadership, teamwork, analytical, and communication skills. This will show the bschools your future potential.

Further, you'll want to make sure you explain fully what motivates the desire for a CBS MBA (based on its culture and resources) and why you want to enter consulting - what drives this goal, what made you realize that this is your path, and what transferrable skills do you bring to the table? Also, what do you want to do in the long term?

The application process is very competitive for CBS in general and especially for Indian male applicants, so even with your solid stats and unique background, if you're serious about this program I'd highly recommend applying Early Decision.

Hope that helps! :)

Taranveersingh93 wrote:
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Posted from my mobile device

_________________
Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Location: China
Schools: CBS '22
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.9
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 17:54
Would really appreciate a look at my profile, thx!

Background and nationality: Chinese male, age 26, spent 25 years in China but scored 29/30 on speaking of TOEFL.

Undergrad Information:
-Undergrad: Top2 university in China, double degree: BS in applied mathematics (GPA 2.8/4.0,) and BA in economics (GPA 3.3/4.0)
-Graduate: Top20 east coast graduate school in US, MA in applied economics (GPA 3.9/4.0)

GMAT: 740 (q50 v40 awa5 ir4), will take again soon.

Work experience and leadership: 2.5 yrs at the top investment bank in China, 3.5 yrs at matriculation. I started as a CDO manager and managed securitization projects. Since 2018 my role has been shifting to alternative credit investment. I currently focus on private non-standardized debt investment and CLO equity. It was a good combination for me, because private debt investment trains my soft skills in project management and communication, while CLO equity investment trains my hard skills in quantitative analysis. I also help the macro rates group on investment research projects.
Career highlights are listed as follows:
-Led one of the most complicated securitization deals in the ninth month of my career. Both VP and SVP were taking maternity leaves and the management responsibilities fell on my shoulder. I was in a position to make 80% of all the decisions and to manage lawyers, credit analysts, and interns. I wasn't able to close the deal due to regulation change, but it was still good experience and I learned a lot from it.
-With an intern and a colleague, I developed the investment analytical models and system for consumer credit asset class, opening out group to a trillion dollar market, which is very premature because so few people in China understand the quantitative technology behind it. I made a good impact by replacing traditional investment analytical methodology with 21st century data science. It was a changing point of my career because the project enlightened my ambition in FinTech.
-Did a bunch of digitalization and automation work since I decided to go into FinTech in the future. For example, I built a database wrote a small program to automate the non-standardized debt trading execution and paperwork drafting. It does not involve much leadership experience, but I'd like to think that I made some impact.

Community and others:
-Volunteered at a micro-loan non-profit in senior year of undergrad as a credit analyst.
-Volunteered at a social enterprise that provides consulting service to non-profits. Brokered a large amount of impact investment funding from a tech giant for a small institution based in the poorest town in Yunnan Province.
-Used to be an amateur athlete of 200m sprint.

Post MBA goals:
Long-term: FinTech - robo adviser, hopefully to start my own firm at some point down the road.
Short-term: Either traditional finance or tech firm would make sense in the short term, becasue a solid background in either finance or tech could help a career in FinTech.

Other info:
Low GPA: I'm aware that my undergrad GPA might be a deal breaker. I went to a school that happened to gather all the top mathematical geniuses in China. I enjoyed the challenge, but my GPA inevitably suffered because the courses and exams were specially designed for those guys. I hope my graduate GPA and my work could somehow prove that I'm fully capable of advanced learning.
5 months' gap: I came back to China in Sep 2016 but started working in Feb 2017. The gap was because Chinese firms don't usually do Skype interviews for students abroad and it is very common for Chinese students to attend campus recruitment after they come back from US to China. We actually have a law specifically saying that students who study abroad will maintain legal status of fresh graduates for one more year after they come back.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Feb 2019
Posts: 5
WE: Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 22:52
30, male, Indian.
Graduation: Mechanical Engineering graduate. GPA - 6.5
School: X - 82, XII - 84
GMAT: 680 (will be re-attempting in Nov)
Work experience: Full time - 9.5 years

Began my first startup(media production & artist management) right out of college (during final year, 2010). Incorporated from a proprietorship to a Pvt Ltd firm in 2015, and acquired a enterprise ISP provider in 2015. Positive exit from the ISP firm in sale to telecom arm of ADAG (Anil Dirubhai Ambani Group) in 2016. The parent media firm is currently a vendor to firms such as Allianz and a partner to a state govt. tourism ministry.

I started a NGO in 2016, focussed on child education and women welfare. Have conducted multiple medical camps, sponsored a dozen students in partnership with corporate CSR tie-ups, and conduct quarterly camps to collect study materials for children at orphanages.

Since Nov 2016, I have also been consulting with a niche/boutique management consulting firm, working on fundraising (investments, working capital) and sales strategy for startups and organisations.


I wish to get into media/finance post my MBA.

I wish to know how my profile stands w.r.t to eligibility for consideration at Columbia.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 15
Schools: Rotterdam School of Management
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 02:53
Hello - I'm looking into the CBS full-time MBA & Executive MBA and below my information. Happy to get some feedback on my profile, not I'm quite early in the process of applying for it.

I have solid working experience and an international profile having lived and worked in a few countries so not completely ticking all the MBA boxes at all so curious to get some feedback on this.

Background and nationality: 32 male white, Macedonian and Belgian National - having lived in the US, Netherlands, Belgium and now the United Kingdom.

Education: Faculty of Economics Skopje Macedonia (UKIM) - BSc. in Business Management GPA: 3.2; Postgraduate in Digital Marketing at Digital Marketing Institute.

GMAT: TBC - starting to prepare for it.

Work experience and leadership: 5 years in EMEA Marketing at UPS in Brussels, Belgium - promoted to manage a Marketing team, worked both on European country and Region level. 1 Year working as Marketing Manager for a Belgian IT Company, 2 years in London, UK working for two various Marketing startups focusing on Growth & Marketing both a proper seed level startup and now working for a startup that got acquired so helping to support Growth & Marketing worldwide.

Community and others: Have been part of AIESEC as a student and this is how I got my first internship job at UPS in Brussels, Belgium. Got involved with conferences and supporting young students.

Post-MBA goals: Move into an Entrepreneurial senior role focusing on Social enterprises & Tech. Reason for going for an MBA is gaining broader managerial skills and building a network to make an impact on a senior level for things that matter to me most - social enterprises, innovation, sustainability and eco.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Location: India
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GRE 1: Q167 V158
GPA: 3.6
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2019, 08:36
Background and nationality - Indian Age -25
Undergrad Information - Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences, Dubai - UAE B.E Mechanical Engineering GPA - 8.10/10
Grad Information - Rutgers University-New Brunswick M.S Industrial and Systems Engineering GPA - 3.146/4
GRE: 325 V-158 Q-167 AWA- 4.0
Work experience and leadership- Went for masters immediately after my undergrad. Finished masters in Oct 2017. Came back and joined my family business. Been working for the past 2 years. We are into real estate. Looking to pursue an MBA with real estate specialization. I also manage a couple of private equity investments I made in the past two years in the fields of F&B and Agritech. I also started a firm to do small scale projects and manage the investments on my own.
Community and others - As a family, we do a lot of community service and specifically work with an orphan and below poverty school by helping the kids with their education. We set up a library under the name of my grandparents recently. We spend time at the school organizing special lunches and sports for the kids on the birth and death anniversaries of my family members.
Sports - I represented my high school and undergrad school teams in Cricket and Volleyball. I was the captain of my U-13, U-15 and U-17 cricket team in middle school and high school.
Post-MBA goals - Join my family business and make a smooth transition of the business from my father to me. He is going to be 60 in a couple of years and wants to retire or at least just advice me on the business instead of running it.
Anything else?
I love cooking. I worked for free as an assistant to the head chef at a farm cooking school in new jersey so that I get to learn how to cook. I use to help him in the cooking classes, monthly dinners and weekend open market at the farm. They only use the ingredients produced by the farm in all their events. I learned to cook French, Italian, Mexican cuisines and basics techniques.
Travel - wildlife, nature and adventure enthusiast. Lived in 2 countries other than India for a period of more than 2 years. Traveled to around 12 countries including Galapagos Islands. I also traveled around 14 states in the USA including Alaska. I love hiking and trekking. I visited around 5 national parks in the USA.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 437
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 11:07
Based on your current GMAT, CBS would be a reach for you. I do recommend retaking - Indian applicants ideally need a 730+ to be considered by top US programs given the competitiveness of the demographic. Aside from that, make sure to highlight on your resume the impact you've made in each of your roles, and make a strong case for your career goals and why CBS in your applications. The schools may also be concerned with length of work experience (9.5 years is definitely on the upper end) so make it clear in your apps why now is the right time for an MBA.



nittchan wrote:
30, male, Indian.
Graduation: Mechanical Engineering graduate. GPA - 6.5
School: X - 82, XII - 84
GMAT: 680 (will be re-attempting in Nov)
Work experience: Full time - 9.5 years

Began my first startup(media production & artist management) right out of college (during final year, 2010). Incorporated from a proprietorship to a Pvt Ltd firm in 2015, and acquired a enterprise ISP provider in 2015. Positive exit from the ISP firm in sale to telecom arm of ADAG (Anil Dirubhai Ambani Group) in 2016. The parent media firm is currently a vendor to firms such as Allianz and a partner to a state govt. tourism ministry.

I started a NGO in 2016, focussed on child education and women welfare. Have conducted multiple medical camps, sponsored a dozen students in partnership with corporate CSR tie-ups, and conduct quarterly camps to collect study materials for children at orphanages.

Since Nov 2016, I have also been consulting with a niche/boutique management consulting firm, working on fundraising (investments, working capital) and sales strategy for startups and organisations.


I wish to get into media/finance post my MBA.

I wish to know how my profile stands w.r.t to eligibility for consideration at Columbia.

_________________
Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 437
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2019, 11:09
Since you want to move roles, I think the FT MBA makes most sense. Regarding career goal, I think that a short-term goal in tech marketing will make a more effective story, with social entrepreneurship long-term. Given CBS competitiveness, aim for a 720+ on the GMAT and, if it is your top choice, strongly consider ED. Hope that helps!


atanasovd wrote:
Hello - I'm looking into the CBS full-time MBA & Executive MBA and below my information. Happy to get some feedback on my profile, not I'm quite early in the process of applying for it.

I have solid working experience and an international profile having lived and worked in a few countries so not completely ticking all the MBA boxes at all so curious to get some feedback on this.

Background and nationality: 32 male white, Macedonian and Belgian National - having lived in the US, Netherlands, Belgium and now the United Kingdom.

Education: Faculty of Economics Skopje Macedonia (UKIM) - BSc. in Business Management GPA: 3.2; Postgraduate in Digital Marketing at Digital Marketing Institute.

GMAT: TBC - starting to prepare for it.

Work experience and leadership: 5 years in EMEA Marketing at UPS in Brussels, Belgium - promoted to manage a Marketing team, worked both on European country and Region level. 1 Year working as Marketing Manager for a Belgian IT Company, 2 years in London, UK working for two various Marketing startups focusing on Growth & Marketing both a proper seed level startup and now working for a startup that got acquired so helping to support Growth & Marketing worldwide.

Community and others: Have been part of AIESEC as a student and this is how I got my first internship job at UPS in Brussels, Belgium. Got involved with conferences and supporting young students.

Post-MBA goals: Move into an Entrepreneurial senior role focusing on Social enterprises & Tech. Reason for going for an MBA is gaining broader managerial skills and building a network to make an impact on a senior level for things that matter to me most - social enterprises, innovation, sustainability and eco.

_________________
Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 07:15
Hello,

Age:
22 (Plan to apply in 3-4 years)

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance

GMAT:
740 (2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 750+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
100% in the aerospace industry (internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 10:17
Profile:
Nationality and Gender– Indian Male
Age: 30 yrs
Profession: Indian Military officer (Squadron Leader in Indian Air Force)

Education: Bsc Physics. [GPA 3.3], Madras Christian College. Top 10 Arts & Science college of India. Represented my college as an exchange student (selected amongst 700 students) and studied a semester (6 months) at Flinders University Adelaide.

Work Ex: 10 years
Territory Sales Manager – Maruti Suzuki (Andhra Pradesh State) – 20 months- with expertise in Dealership handling and Business development. During the tenure, I acquired thorough knowledge pertaining to Channel Sales Management, Dealer Development and the business functions that are associated with Automobile Dealerships.

Regional Manager sales (Andhra Pradesh State) – 10 months - for Educational Initiatives (Edtech sector) helped me gain an understanding of direct sales and relationship management and being a bridge between company and the consumer.

Administrative/ Air Traffic Control officer of Indian Air Force – 7 and half years. It has helped me acquire an understanding of diverse fields. I have been able to serve as a commander and an officer in strategically critical bases and led teams to achieve various military objectives encompassing a vast spectrum of operations such as warfare, human assistance and disaster relief missions, air maintenance operations. I have also played various leadership roles in different portfolios executing missions, plans and large scale activities. Handled budgetary allocations and departments with expensive assets upto the tune of $5 million. Commanded multiple units of upto 70 men and officers at the most hostile and highest military bases on earth always maintaining the highest operational readiness and carrying out challenging security and air maintenance operations.

Extra curricular
a. Avid sports buff. Have led teams in sports such as cricket and soccer at multiple levels in school and college. Ultimate Frisbee fan and player.
b. Have participated in various activities ranging from quizzes to public speaking and event management and won multiple awards as a student and later on as a cadet.
c. National Cadet Corps volunteer – As Cadet Sergeant led a college contingent of 40 cadets. Represented my state directorate at National level camp as a pilot (chosen amongst 3500 cadets).
Awads and Honors :
1. Military services medals for working in counter insurgency, high altitude and counter terror operations.
2. Academy cadet captain of 480 officer cadets at Indian Air Force Academy – something akin to student body chairman at a B school.
3. Best in flying in my state (400 cadets) during NCC as a cadet.
I am seeking a profile evaluation for the 2 year full time MBA program. My post MBA career goal is to work in operations management, general management or Product manager roles which will help me in leveraging the skills that I gained in the military. My choice of sectors would be Aerospace, Aviation, Transportation, BigTech or Retail and Hospitality. It would be great help if I can be offered some advice on likely chances & areas of improvement.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 437
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 11:26
1
Hi, and thanks for writing! I think your GMAT score is fine - over the next few years, I would work on making as much of an impact at work as possible (including joining/leading any affinity groups, etc. if the opportunity presents itself) and becoming involved in a meaningful extracurricular pursuit, preferably in a leadership capacity). This will ensure that your application is well-rounded. Additionally, it's never too early to begin researching programs - to have a strong application, you'll need to make a case for why CBS is a good fit for you based on its culture, location, and resources within and outside of the classroom.
Hope that helps a bit! :-)


SimbaJSK wrote:
Hello,

Age:
22 (Plan to apply in 3-4 years)

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance

GMAT:
740 (2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 750+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
100% in the aerospace industry (internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.

Thanks in advance.

_________________
Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 437
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 11:39
Hi there, and thanks for writing. Have you taken the GMAT and if so, what is your score? Admission is very competitive for Indian applicants, so a 730+ is ideal. Also, are you involved in any post-collegiate extracurriculars?

With CBS, the school really wants to understand 1. the motivations behind your short and long-term goals, so you'll want to have these figured out 2. why CBS - what is it about the program's culture, location, and resources that attract you? They'll also want to understand why NOW is the right time for an MBA since you have over 10 years of work experience (the average is 4-6 years).

Hope this helps as a start - keep me posted on any other questions!


vikassinghvx wrote:
Profile:
Nationality and Gender– Indian Male
Age: 30 yrs
Profession: Indian Military officer (Squadron Leader in Indian Air Force)

Education: Bsc Physics. [GPA 3.3], Madras Christian College. Top 10 Arts & Science college of India. Represented my college as an exchange student (selected amongst 700 students) and studied a semester (6 months) at Flinders University Adelaide.

Work Ex: 10 years
Territory Sales Manager – Maruti Suzuki (Andhra Pradesh State) – 20 months- with expertise in Dealership handling and Business development. During the tenure, I acquired thorough knowledge pertaining to Channel Sales Management, Dealer Development and the business functions that are associated with Automobile Dealerships.

Regional Manager sales (Andhra Pradesh State) – 10 months - for Educational Initiatives (Edtech sector) helped me gain an understanding of direct sales and relationship management and being a bridge between company and the consumer.

Administrative/ Air Traffic Control officer of Indian Air Force – 7 and half years. It has helped me acquire an understanding of diverse fields. I have been able to serve as a commander and an officer in strategically critical bases and led teams to achieve various military objectives encompassing a vast spectrum of operations such as warfare, human assistance and disaster relief missions, air maintenance operations. I have also played various leadership roles in different portfolios executing missions, plans and large scale activities. Handled budgetary allocations and departments with expensive assets upto the tune of $5 million. Commanded multiple units of upto 70 men and officers at the most hostile and highest military bases on earth always maintaining the highest operational readiness and carrying out challenging security and air maintenance operations.

Extra curricular
a. Avid sports buff. Have led teams in sports such as cricket and soccer at multiple levels in school and college. Ultimate Frisbee fan and player.
b. Have participated in various activities ranging from quizzes to public speaking and event management and won multiple awards as a student and later on as a cadet.
c. National Cadet Corps volunteer – As Cadet Sergeant led a college contingent of 40 cadets. Represented my state directorate at National level camp as a pilot (chosen amongst 3500 cadets).
Awads and Honors :
1. Military services medals for working in counter insurgency, high altitude and counter terror operations.
2. Academy cadet captain of 480 officer cadets at Indian Air Force Academy – something akin to student body chairman at a B school.
3. Best in flying in my state (400 cadets) during NCC as a cadet.
I am seeking a profile evaluation for the 2 year full time MBA program. My post MBA career goal is to work in operations management, general management or Product manager roles which will help me in leveraging the skills that I gained in the military. My choice of sectors would be Aerospace, Aviation, Transportation, BigTech or Retail and Hospitality. It would be great help if I can be offered some advice on likely chances & areas of improvement.

_________________
Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Nov 2018
Posts: 33
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Other)
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2019, 08:41
Hi Everyone,
can you please evaluate my profile for columbia? It seems a bit of a stretch to even think about it , but its my dream and i am a very hopeful person.

Native: Indian , Male , 32
Back ground: Merchant Navy, started my career in 2009 at the rank of Trainee Marine Engineer, appeared for promotional exam conducted by DG shipping india , became 4 th engineer and now serving as 3rd
Engineer promoted based on the sailing experience, VLCC oil Tankers.
Current employer: wallem shipmanagement hongkong
International experience: 15 countries atleast; USA, china, Vietnam, Venezuela, Ukraine, Kuwait, Iraq, UAE, Southafrica,
Singapore, Turkey, south Korea, Indonesia, Netherlands,Egypt
Sailing experience: 5 years aprrox( our contractual sailing period lasts for 6+-1 months per year , so from 2009 to
2018 in 10 years we get sailing experience exactly half of it )
Academics: B.tech marine engineering (MIT,pune) 62%( ~2.3 gpa)
12th( CBSE,KV) 76%, topper in Math with 96 in school
10th (CBSE, KV) 75%, math 90/100, science 89/100, english 78/100
GMAT 710 (V39, Q49)
Extra curricular: Guitar player, performed on few stage shows
Worked with NGo back in 2011, In 2012 i reactivated my mothers dormant NGO and have been
contributing ever since
Hiker,Trekker(went on solo expedition to himalayas, mostly to places untouched by human
presence)
Working out to summit the Everest.
college Volleyball and Badminton Player.
MBA: Supply chain demand and logistics,
future goals: i want to enter in the procurement sector for Multinationals shipping and Non shipping sector. Also
i want to establish a regular logistic route to supply products available to every other part of world in
to remote places in countires such as,indonesia,india(north-
north east), and Some places in Africa and south america.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Apr 2019
Posts: 4
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 10:14
Hi Nisha,

Thanks for replying.

I would start with replying to the questions in an order.

a) I have taken the GMAT and its a 670 (V40,Q42). I would do my best to improve the score in my next attempt.

b) I am an Indian military officer and except for volunteering as a cadet for the National Cadet corps, I couldn't do much volunteering because I was most often in highly inaccessible places with very strict rules on movements and limited interaction with civil populace as I live in military cantonments.

c) I think MBA would be the best platform for me to transition into the corporate world post finishing my tenure as an Indian Air Force Officer. From what I know most military applicants are of my age group only.

d) I was hoping for an insight into my chances as an Under represented male with a below par GMAT score but a niche work profile( Military Air Traffic Controller) with significant leadership experience.

I have my answers to why NY and Columbia figured out.

Could you please advice me on the above?

Thanks in advance








mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hi there, and thanks for writing. Have you taken the GMAT and if so, what is your score? Admission is very competitive for Indian applicants, so a 730+ is ideal. Also, are you involved in any post-collegiate extracurriculars?

With CBS, the school really wants to understand 1. the motivations behind your short and long-term goals, so you'll want to have these figured out 2. why CBS - what is it about the program's culture, location, and resources that attract you? They'll also want to understand why NOW is the right time for an MBA since you have over 10 years of work experience (the average is 4-6 years).

Hope this helps as a start - keep me posted on any other questions!


vikassinghvx wrote:
Profile:
Nationality and Gender– Indian Male
Age: 30 yrs
Profession: Indian Military officer (Squadron Leader in Indian Air Force)

Education: Bsc Physics. [GPA 3.3], Madras Christian College. Top 10 Arts & Science college of India. Represented my college as an exchange student (selected amongst 700 students) and studied a semester (6 months) at Flinders University Adelaide.

Work Ex: 10 years
Territory Sales Manager – Maruti Suzuki (Andhra Pradesh State) – 20 months- with expertise in Dealership handling and Business development. During the tenure, I acquired thorough knowledge pertaining to Channel Sales Management, Dealer Development and the business functions that are associated with Automobile Dealerships.

Regional Manager sales (Andhra Pradesh State) – 10 months - for Educational Initiatives (Edtech sector) helped me gain an understanding of direct sales and relationship management and being a bridge between company and the consumer.

Administrative/ Air Traffic Control officer of Indian Air Force – 7 and half years. It has helped me acquire an understanding of diverse fields. I have been able to serve as a commander and an officer in strategically critical bases and led teams to achieve various military objectives encompassing a vast spectrum of operations such as warfare, human assistance and disaster relief missions, air maintenance operations. I have also played various leadership roles in different portfolios executing missions, plans and large scale activities. Handled budgetary allocations and departments with expensive assets upto the tune of $5 million. Commanded multiple units of upto 70 men and officers at the most hostile and highest military bases on earth always maintaining the highest operational readiness and carrying out challenging security and air maintenance operations.

Extra curricular
a. Avid sports buff. Have led teams in sports such as cricket and soccer at multiple levels in school and college. Ultimate Frisbee fan and player.
b. Have participated in various activities ranging from quizzes to public speaking and event management and won multiple awards as a student and later on as a cadet.
c. National Cadet Corps volunteer – As Cadet Sergeant led a college contingent of 40 cadets. Represented my state directorate at National level camp as a pilot (chosen amongst 3500 cadets).
Awads and Honors :
1. Military services medals for working in counter insurgency, high altitude and counter terror operations.
2. Academy cadet captain of 480 officer cadets at Indian Air Force Academy – something akin to student body chairman at a B school.
3. Best in flying in my state (400 cadets) during NCC as a cadet.
I am seeking a profile evaluation for the 2 year full time MBA program. My post MBA career goal is to work in operations management, general management or Product manager roles which will help me in leveraging the skills that I gained in the military. My choice of sectors would be Aerospace, Aviation, Transportation, BigTech or Retail and Hospitality. It would be great help if I can be offered some advice on likely chances & areas of improvement.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.25
WE: Law (Law)
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 11:13
Nationality / Age - Indian, 27, F
Undergrad - Graduated with a law degree from one of India's top 10 national law schools: My 66% grades would place me in top-20 of my batch of 100.
GMAT - 710 (V40/Q49/ IR5/ AWA6)
Work Experience - Total 4 years PQE at this date, with 5 years completed by the time of the MBA start: (i) 2 years in a tier 1 law firm (top-6 law firms in India); and (ii) currently in India's #1 law firm from the last 2 years. Recently promoted to Senior Associate (one of 3 promotions to partnership). Have extensive M&A/PE transactional experience from a legal perspective. Work exclusively with foreign clients, including global PE funds such as WP, BX, Brookfield and GS.
Leadership - (i) Have played the role of corporate lead or due diligence lead in multiple transactions. Have independently handled transaction documents, client management, execution, closings and even some negotiations. (ii) Notably - one of under 15 transactional lawyers in India with expertise in bank-NBFC mergers.
Recommendations - Will get recommendations from 2 partners in my law firm.
Post MBA goals - To shift into consulting (M&A strategy and management), and eventually transition into a senior leadership position (business expansion) in the banking sector.
Community experience after graduation - (i) Worked with a state government to design an awareness drive for rural women to encourage them to open sole bank accounts. (ii) Designed the CSR plan for a listed company in India for manufacturing and distributing low cost sanitary napkins to 3,000 rural women.
EC during college - (i) Coached and tutored aspirants for the Common Law Admission Test. (ii) Part of college cell that provided free legal aid to rural women in the villages around the campus.

How do I fare? I understand that my GMAT is weak and my undergrad could have been better, but despite these flaws, how do I fare? Do I stand a chance? I have already excluded top US schools like H/S/W/Sloan/Booth from my school list on account of these two flaws and would be concentrating on only Yale and Tuck among the US schools. If Columbia is a waste of my efforts for me, no matter how badly I would love to go there, I'd rather focus on schools where I stand a chance.

Would Columbia be willing to forgive my low GMAT/ low quant (especially as an Indian applicant) considering my non-engineering background? Any feedback would be much appreciated!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 437
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2019, 11:10
Hi, and thanks for writing! Given how very competitive the process is for Indian applicants, the 710 would make CBS a challenge (the quant score is fine, though - no worries there). For this program it would be ideal if you could score 730+. Your background is well-rounded otherwise, and your goals are a natural outgrowth of your work experience. If you can boost GMAT and put together a strong application that makes a solid case for why CBS is right for you, this will maximize your chances. Hope that helps!


LadyGaladriel wrote:
Nationality / Age - Indian, 27, F
Undergrad - Graduated with a law degree from one of India's top 10 national law schools: My 66% grades would place me in top-20 of my batch of 100.
GMAT - 710 (V40/Q49/ IR5/ AWA6)
Work Experience - Total 4 years PQE at this date, with 5 years completed by the time of the MBA start: (i) 2 years in a tier 1 law firm (top-6 law firms in India); and (ii) currently in India's #1 law firm from the last 2 years. Recently promoted to Senior Associate (one of 3 promotions to partnership). Have extensive M&A/PE transactional experience from a legal perspective. Work exclusively with foreign clients, including global PE funds such as WP, BX, Brookfield and GS.
Leadership - (i) Have played the role of corporate lead or due diligence lead in multiple transactions. Have independently handled transaction documents, client management, execution, closings and even some negotiations. (ii) Notably - one of under 15 transactional lawyers in India with expertise in bank-NBFC mergers.
Recommendations - Will get recommendations from 2 partners in my law firm.
Post MBA goals - To shift into consulting (M&A strategy and management), and eventually transition into a senior leadership position (business expansion) in the banking sector.
Community experience after graduation - (i) Worked with a state government to design an awareness drive for rural women to encourage them to open sole bank accounts. (ii) Designed the CSR plan for a listed company in India for manufacturing and distributing low cost sanitary napkins to 3,000 rural women.
EC during college - (i) Coached and tutored aspirants for the Common Law Admission Test. (ii) Part of college cell that provided free legal aid to rural women in the villages around the campus.

How do I fare? I understand that my GMAT is weak and my undergrad could have been better, but despite these flaws, how do I fare? Do I stand a chance? I have already excluded top US schools like H/S/W/Sloan/Booth from my school list on account of these two flaws and would be concentrating on only Yale and Tuck among the US schools. If Columbia is a waste of my efforts for me, no matter how badly I would love to go there, I'd rather focus on schools where I stand a chance.

Would Columbia be willing to forgive my low GMAT/ low quant (especially as an Indian applicant) considering my non-engineering background? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

_________________
Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 13:04
Hello Everyone,

I have an untraditional background and I don’t feel like I have a good chance getting into CBS.
I’m planning on taking my GMAT in a few weeks and have been getting 650's on my CATs. Here’s my background:

Male / 26 / White
I graduated high school in 2011 and left college after one semester to work full time and take care of my family.

Work experience:
5 Years in retail electronics/telecom in supervisory/manager positions
Voluntarily stepped down back into a sales role and returned to school full time.

Education:
In 2015 attended community college full time and graduated early with a associates in business administration and a 4.0 GPA.
Transferred to NYU on scholarship and graduated with my undergraduate degree in business management early with a 3.9 GPA.

Before graduating I took a banker job at a retail bank to get some experience in financial services. I have since obtained my SIE/Series 6/63.

I have now been in that position for just over year and I’m ready to finally make a move.

Do you think I have any shot? My profile doesn’t really jump off the page.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2019, 12:30
Please review my profile for CBS:

I am an Indian by nationality and completed my bachelor's in Computer Science Engineering from a State University (Punjab Technical University) with 74.93 %(Top 3% of my batch) and post which I worked for 13 months in a digital education startup. Fascinated by the Start-up world, and in order to learn the business side, I completed my MBA with Marketing majors from Symbiosis International University, which is a renowned Indian University. During my MBA I started two Startups, got angel funding of $75k which I used to scale those to a good level, but because of the shortage of personal funds had to sell those off. After that, I joined a durables start-up company in India and worked as a brand manager for 2 years. Right now I am working with a uber-luxury real estate brand, which is again a new well-funded startup, as a Brand Strategy lead.

Overall Work ex: 5 years(By Aug 2020)
Function of Work: Startup Strategy/ Marketing/ Brand Management
Industry: Durables/ Real Estate/ Education
GMAT score: 710 Q49 V 38
Why second MBA: To gain international exposure in the Start-up ecosystem which I couldn't get till now, preferably in Finance and join strategy/ Startup consulting. 10 years down the line I want to set up my own VC firm.
Undergrad Score: 74.93%(Top 3% of my batch)
Post Grad Score: 3.14/4( Top 2% of my batch)
Extra-Curricular:
1. Winner of 10 National level B Plan and Startup Accelerator competitions.Finalist in 5 competitions.
2. Founder of National Level NGO which is working towards women empowerment. Sponsored Study of 4k female children since 2010, in remote villages of north India.
3. National Level Technical Paper Presentation winner.
4. Winner of 'Best Student in the overall category, Award 2016 ( Given to only 2 students from the batch of 2000 students).
5. College-level winner of many debates and discussion competitions.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2019
Posts: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 07:15
Hi,

I wanted for you to please evaluate my options for CBS

Profile:

- 25 Y, Spain
- Gmat: (taken once) 700 (88%) Q-47 V-38 AWA-5 IR-5
- WE: 36 months, consultant at Big consulting firm (not tier-1). Got early promotion, before stipulated time. Many international projects.
-Education:
— very international background during school years.
— double major (Business administration and Law) in prestigious business school in Spain. GPA conversion from Spanish grading system around 3.1 (weakest point of my profile)
— London School of Economics Summer programme in managerial accounting and financial control

- Extracurricular activity:
— Community work in South America during high school
— Created an students club at my university for students to share materials among them (still working today after my graduation 3 years ago)
— Part of the board of directors of Investing Club at my university

- Short term goals: consulting at MBB

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 11:40
26 years old, white male (American)
- GMAT: (taken once) 760
- WE: 48 months of corporate strategy for F500
-Education:
— 3.5 GPA in math and Chinese from top 10 US university (Ivy)

- Extracurricular activity:
— Volunteer work in mentorship at work with younger colleagues, and outside of work in a community organization

- Short term goal: investment banking with a focus on tech (I'm worried this may appear weak given my pre-MBA experience doesn't tie neatly)
LT goal: PE with tech focus
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 563
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 13:42
Hi wabo22,

Thank you for your post. Qualitatively speaking, you are competitive for admission to Columbia. That said, you have not provided enough information to offer an in-depth review of your profile. Indeed, you must connect your past and future in some way - what propels you to want to work in Investment Banking? I would welcome hearing more about your background and professional aspirations so we see how we can help you tell a compelling story. If that is something that appeals, please reach out.

Good luck!



wabo22 wrote:
26 years old, white male (American)
- GMAT: (taken once) 760
- WE: 48 months of corporate strategy for F500
-Education:
— 3.5 GPA in math and Chinese from top 10 US university (Ivy)

- Extracurricular activity:
— Volunteer work in mentorship at work with younger colleagues, and outside of work in a community organization

- Short term goal: investment banking with a focus on tech (I'm worried this may appear weak given my pre-MBA experience doesn't tie neatly)
LT goal: PE with tech focus

_________________
Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2019, 13:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 186 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Zakyfish22






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne