It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 08:28
Curiuos to see what you all think!

Background and nationality: White/USA
Undergrad Information: Ross/Kelley/McCombs degree in Accounting-- 3.0
GMAT: 770 (49Q/45V/6 IR)
Work experience and leadership: 4 years-- 3 years in F250 corp rotational program with broad experience (accounting/finance/operations; 3 different locations (HQ; acquired factory; East Asia) plus current roll-off roll (roadmap factory). No leadership or "upward trajectory" due to nature of program, but highlighted leadership in these roles of leading teams, initiating projects that were rolled out company wide. Also highlighted that the relocation is not part of the standard rotation program and I was awarded this as the top performer in my rotation class...only domestic assignment in 2nd role and one of 3 international placements in 3rd role.
Community and others" Light, but explained due to nature of constantly relocating and having to get settled in a new place and a new job. I do have some involvement in churches (playing on worship team, helping lead youth, social team for young adults) in the different locations to show that I'm still involved, but just due to the nature of such short chapters there's nothing clearly sustained and world-changing.
Post MBA goals: Management consulting. My story is I want to be a F500 CEO, and I've had a whirlwind of learning experiences the past 4 years and don't want to slow down. MBA serves as an intense 2-year academic learning opportunity that helps me transition to management consulting, where the fast pace and exposure to high level, strategic business problems will help further prepare me to be successful the rest of my career and achieve that goal.

Explained in optional essay that GPA was low because I wasn't as focused on academics as I needed to be (was focused on other things that challenged me more, tied it in with my passion which is learning), but that I've learned about balance and priorities since then.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 11:56
Background and nationality: 26, White male, US Citizen
Undergrad Information: Bachelors and Masters Degree's in Accounting from top NY state school. Undergrad GPA 3.7; Masters GPA 3.85... Licensed CPA
GMAT: 710 Q47,V40
Work experience and leadership: 48 Months at Matriculation; Financial consulting and Big 4 firm.
Community and others: Part of a NYC Mentor program where we meet with and mentor highschool students from the Bronx; part of multiple club basketball and softball teams
Post MBA Goals: To work in Consulting for a few years with the ultimate goal of working in the Media / Entertainment Industry. Either in business development or consulting
Anything Else: Debating whether to apply Early Decision or not.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 13:35
Background and nationality: Indian Male, 30

Undergrad Information: IIT Kharagpur | 5 years integrated Masters in Economics | 7.5 GPA

GMAT: yet to appear

Work experience and leadership:
Total 6 years of work experience:
- 2.5 years in M&A advisory
- 2.5 years in domestic PE fund
- 1 year in a startup in Strategy team

Community and others: Did an internship with an organization focusing on providing vocational training in rural areas - nothing much other than this. I come from rural background - used to teach poor kids mathematics when i was in school (no way of validating that though)

Post MBA goals: to continue to work in Investment industry (PE/ VC) - in long run would start my own fund

Hobbies: Writing and Dramatics. Working on my own book in native language. Maintain a blog where i publish my short stories. I was involved with dramatics club in my college. Also, I was dramatics captain of my hostel.

Thanks a lot in advance for reviewing my profile!!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 21:19
Hi Everyone, Really hoping to get a profile review here. I am about to apply for MBA, still preparing for my GMAT (3 months intensive study) Really appreciate your time. : )

Background

Sex : Male
Age : 30
Race : Asian (South East Asian)
Nationality : Malaysia

Undergraduate Info
Degree : Mechanical Engineering
School : University of Manchester (UK)
GPA : 2:1 (UK System) equivalent to 3.4 (US System)

GMAT info * Yet to sit for my GMAT * My current diagnostic test mark is about 700

Work Experience
- Started working as a mechanical engineer with the biggest utility company in Malaysia. Working in a coal fired power plant (maintenance section) - 3 years
- Then I became an operations engineer (overlooking commercial stuffs, making sure the payment, overlooking several contracts and also do the plant operation&maintenance planning), got my first promotion, basically same job but increased salary (2.5 years)
- Got another promotion, still working with the same company but transfered to the HQ, work as the Business Development Manager, looking for new projects to venture new business overseas. (1.5 years - present)

Co-Curricular activities
* Basically not much going on (recently) However, during my undergraduate time, I was very active with NGOs giving out humanitarian aids to refugees in the Middle East.
* I went to several refugees camps in Lebanon and Turkey to hand out the donations and follow up with few projects
* At the peak of my involvement, I was the chairman of our humanitarian group ~ for one term (my final year in uni.)

Goal of MBA
* Seeking for a career/location switch. Although I love my job now, I think it is time for me to get a better job in a better company with a whole new motivation
* I aspire to work in the consulting business or maybe in the finance industry.
* Seeking for a job with more 'international exposure'

Target Schools
* in order to get scholarship locally (it is no way that I will be able to finance my MBA myself, thus scholarship is a must!) I need to go to the top business school. Harvard is definitely out of my reach i think.
* Plan to apply for BoothColumbia.
* Is my profile fits for Columbia? Or could you suggest any other school?
* Is 700 GMAT marks good enough?

Thanks a lot!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Help me with my Evaluation Please - Not really motivated [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 01:17
Hey,

So
GMAT : Yet to Appear (aiming 700+)
GPA : 3.0 (Graduate in Commerce)
I am a Chartered Accountant & a CFA Charterholder
Location : India
Experience
3 Years Internship in a top international audit firm (Audit)
3 Years Experience in a top US Investment bank (Product Controller for Structured Products)
Currently employed with a top US bank (Treasury Risk - Structural Interest Rate Risk Management)

I am planning to apply for 2021, by the time will have 2 years experience in my current role

Extra Curricular :
NGO Activities
1 Year in a Rotaract Club
Currently part of an NGO that engages in Education for the underprivileged kids (working as a teacher & Center head)

Can someone give me an evaluation and whether I should do something more to better my profile.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 17:58
Background and nationality: white female
Undergrad Information: top 20 university in the U.S., major in social sciences, 3.6 GPA
GMAT: 710
Work experience and leadership: 2 years of non-profit experience at small environmental organizations, PhD in environmental science from a top 5 school, currently working as a research scientist
Community and others: ceramic artist, marathoner and triathlete
Post MBA goals: Renewable energy industry
Anything else? I have strong quantitative skills (statistical programming and big data analysis) and a deep interest in environmental issues. I have no business experience or coursework.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 737

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 22:03
tx-guy13 wrote:
Curiuos to see what you all think!

Background and nationality: White/USA
Undergrad Information: Ross/Kelley/McCombs degree in Accounting-- 3.0
GMAT: 770 (49Q/45V/6 IR)
Work experience and leadership: 4 years-- 3 years in F250 corp rotational program with broad experience (accounting/finance/operations; 3 different locations (HQ; acquired factory; East Asia) plus current roll-off roll (roadmap factory). No leadership or "upward trajectory" due to nature of program, but highlighted leadership in these roles of leading teams, initiating projects that were rolled out company wide. Also highlighted that the relocation is not part of the standard rotation program and I was awarded this as the top performer in my rotation class...only domestic assignment in 2nd role and one of 3 international placements in 3rd role.
Community and others" Light, but explained due to nature of constantly relocating and having to get settled in a new place and a new job. I do have some involvement in churches (playing on worship team, helping lead youth, social team for young adults) in the different locations to show that I'm still involved, but just due to the nature of such short chapters there's nothing clearly sustained and world-changing.
Post MBA goals: Management consulting. My story is I want to be a F500 CEO, and I've had a whirlwind of learning experiences the past 4 years and don't want to slow down. MBA serves as an intense 2-year academic learning opportunity that helps me transition to management consulting, where the fast pace and exposure to high level, strategic business problems will help further prepare me to be successful the rest of my career and achieve that goal.

Explained in optional essay that GPA was low because I wasn't as focused on academics as I needed to be (was focused on other things that challenged me more, tied it in with my passion which is learning), but that I've learned about balance and priorities since then.


Impressive profile and you seem like a good fit for Columbia as well so I would be surprised if you did not hear from them!

Good luck!

JL
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 737

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 22:04
MBAhrt10 wrote:
Background and nationality: 26, White male, US Citizen
Undergrad Information: Bachelors and Masters Degree's in Accounting from top NY state school. Undergrad GPA 3.7; Masters GPA 3.85... Licensed CPA
GMAT: 710 Q47,V40
Work experience and leadership: 48 Months at Matriculation; Financial consulting and Big 4 firm.
Community and others: Part of a NYC Mentor program where we meet with and mentor highschool students from the Bronx; part of multiple club basketball and softball teams
Post MBA Goals: To work in Consulting for a few years with the ultimate goal of working in the Media / Entertainment Industry. Either in business development or consulting
Anything Else: Debating whether to apply Early Decision or not.


Your profile has potential but in order to be able to evaluate your profile properly I would need to know more about your working experience and how you plan to reach your end goal/how an MBA will help you get there in particular. So feel free to get in touch with more details on that here: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

JL
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 737

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 22:12
Mostvehlasurd wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian Male, 30

Undergrad Information: IIT Kharagpur | 5 years integrated Masters in Economics | 7.5 GPA

GMAT: yet to appear

Work experience and leadership:
Total 6 years of work experience:
- 2.5 years in M&A advisory
- 2.5 years in domestic PE fund
- 1 year in a startup in Strategy team

Community and others: Did an internship with an organization focusing on providing vocational training in rural areas - nothing much other than this. I come from rural background - used to teach poor kids mathematics when i was in school (no way of validating that though)

Post MBA goals: to continue to work in Investment industry (PE/ VC) - in long run would start my own fund

Hobbies: Writing and Dramatics. Working on my own book in native language. Maintain a blog where i publish my short stories. I was involved with dramatics club in my college. Also, I was dramatics captain of my hostel.

Thanks a lot in advance for reviewing my profile!!


Missing quite a bit of information here as well, your final GMAT score and more detail about your work experience being the most important parts. Have you been promoted and/or had any leadership experiences at work? So I would highly recommend you get back to this thread or contact ARINGO directly at https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ once you have your final GMAT score, and get into more detail about that work experience at the same time. As it is, your profile has some potential as I like how your post-MBA goal connects to your working experience so far, and the post-MBA being great but due to the missing information I would still classify the profile as rather borderline.
JL
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 737

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 22:17
musaini1790 wrote:
Hi Everyone, Really hoping to get a profile review here. I am about to apply for MBA, still preparing for my GMAT (3 months intensive study) Really appreciate your time. : )

Background

Sex : Male
Age : 30
Race : Asian (South East Asian)
Nationality : Malaysia

Undergraduate Info
Degree : Mechanical Engineering
School : University of Manchester (UK)
GPA : 2:1 (UK System) equivalent to 3.4 (US System)

GMAT info * Yet to sit for my GMAT * My current diagnostic test mark is about 700

Work Experience
- Started working as a mechanical engineer with the biggest utility company in Malaysia. Working in a coal fired power plant (maintenance section) - 3 years
- Then I became an operations engineer (overlooking commercial stuffs, making sure the payment, overlooking several contracts and also do the plant operation&maintenance planning), got my first promotion, basically same job but increased salary (2.5 years)
- Got another promotion, still working with the same company but transfered to the HQ, work as the Business Development Manager, looking for new projects to venture new business overseas. (1.5 years - present)

Co-Curricular activities
* Basically not much going on (recently) However, during my undergraduate time, I was very active with NGOs giving out humanitarian aids to refugees in the Middle East.
* I went to several refugees camps in Lebanon and Turkey to hand out the donations and follow up with few projects
* At the peak of my involvement, I was the chairman of our humanitarian group ~ for one term (my final year in uni.)

Goal of MBA
* Seeking for a career/location switch. Although I love my job now, I think it is time for me to get a better job in a better company with a whole new motivation
* I aspire to work in the consulting business or maybe in the finance industry.
* Seeking for a job with more 'international exposure'

Target Schools
* in order to get scholarship locally (it is no way that I will be able to finance my MBA myself, thus scholarship is a must!) I need to go to the top business school. Harvard is definitely out of my reach i think.
* Plan to apply for BoothColumbia.
* Is my profile fits for Columbia? Or could you suggest any other school?
* Is 700 GMAT marks good enough?

Thanks a lot!


Your profile has a lot of potential, I love your career progression and the extra curriculars you mentioned especially, I think those will impress the adcom as well, if presented properly. What I am not sure of is if 700 would be enough as a GMAT score, so if I were you, I would aim slightly higher there.

You will also need to work hard on your essays in order to present all this in the best possible way, of course, for someone with so much going on in their profile as you this is even more important than for most, so make sure you make that a priority!

Last but not least, are you only applying to 2 schools? I would extent that list to 5 if at all possible, adding one or two “safety schools” in there as well.

Good luck!
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT ToolKit User
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 08:19
could really use some insigts:

Background and nationality : Indian
Undergrad Information : NIT college (college ranks 15 in country), Mechanical Engineer 7.41/10 grade
GMAT: 690 (Q34, V 49, IR 7, AWA 5)
Work experience and leadership : by the timing of joining will be completing 4+ year in FMCG sector, all Assistant manager position in production, operation and project ( mananged a team)
Community and others : various socities in college
Post MBA goals : strategy consulting in FMCG
Anything else?: took part in multiple national lavel competetion in college, school 10th and 12th: 92%

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2017
Posts: 22

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 09:25
Columbia has a very diverse class profile. It all boils down to showing that you will add value to the class

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.51
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 21:49
Background and nationality: Afrcan-American, Male, 26 Y.O. (will be 27 by the time I apply; applying next year for 2019 matriculation)

Undergrad Information: Emory University, BA in Economics, 3.51 GPA

GMAT: 700 Q48, V39, AWA-6, IR-8

Work experience and leadership: Obtained my series 7 and 63 and then worked for 2 years at an online brokerage firm as a trader. Currently work at BB investment bank doing both project management and business analyst work. Have been here for 2 years. In the process of moving to a more front office role.

Community and others: Co-founded an organization that provided free ACT, SAT, LSAT, GRE, GED and High School Graduation test tutoring, financial literacy, writing critique services, and assistance in filling out financial aid forms in Atlanta. Since leaving Atlanta, am currently involved in a local mentor program in the city of Jacksonville, serving as a mentor to young boys in underrepresented communities.

Post MBA goals: Short term is to pivot to strategy consulting. Ultimately, my career goal is to close the opportunity gap that exists for people who look like me and grew up where I did. The avenue through which I want to do this is by developing social impact businesses that solve development challenges and offer career opportunities that can change the wealth paradigm both in America and in Ghana.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 737

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 08:28
sefanana wrote:
Background and nationality: Afrcan-American, Male, 26 Y.O. (will be 27 by the time I apply; applying next year for 2019 matriculation)

Undergrad Information: Emory University, BA in Economics, 3.51 GPA

GMAT: 700 Q48, V39, AWA-6, IR-8

Work experience and leadership: Obtained my series 7 and 63 and then worked for 2 years at an online brokerage firm as a trader. Currently work at BB investment bank doing both project management and business analyst work. Have been here for 2 years. In the process of moving to a more front office role.

Community and others: Co-founded an organization that provided free ACT, SAT, LSAT, GRE, GED and High School Graduation test tutoring, financial literacy, writing critique services, and assistance in filling out financial aid forms in Atlanta. Since leaving Atlanta, am currently involved in a local mentor program in the city of Jacksonville, serving as a mentor to young boys in underrepresented communities.

Post MBA goals: Short term is to pivot to strategy consulting. Ultimately, my career goal is to close the opportunity gap that exists for people who look like me and grew up where I did. The avenue through which I want to do this is by developing social impact businesses that solve development challenges and offer career opportunities that can change the wealth paradigm both in America and in Ghana.


Love the post-MBA goal here, as well as your community work, so those are really your strengths. The part I am not completely sure of is your work experience, does the new role you mentioned mean you are getting promoted? Or do you have any other impressive achievements work-wise to add to your profile? (If you do, or there is anything else that could make a difference when it comes to the work part, feel free to be in touch at: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ and we can give you a new evaluation as that could change the situation. You could also try our free admissions chances calculator, as the more details you fill in about yourself, the more accurate even an automated evaluation becomes: https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/)

But as things stand now, assuming there has been no promotions or measurable achievements at work, I would say you are not a “clear admit” for Columbia, due to that part. So I really hope you have something to add that could make that part more attractive to the adcom!

JL
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.51
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 08:41
Aringo wrote:
sefanana wrote:
Background and nationality: Afrcan-American, Male, 26 Y.O. (will be 27 by the time I apply; applying next year for 2019 matriculation)

Undergrad Information: Emory University, BA in Economics, 3.51 GPA

GMAT: 700 Q48, V39, AWA-6, IR-8

Work experience and leadership: Obtained my series 7 and 63 and then worked for 2 years at an online brokerage firm as a trader. Currently work at BB investment bank doing both project management and business analyst work. Have been here for 2 years. In the process of moving to a more front office role.

Community and others: Co-founded an organization that provided free ACT, SAT, LSAT, GRE, GED and High School Graduation test tutoring, financial literacy, writing critique services, and assistance in filling out financial aid forms in Atlanta. Since leaving Atlanta, am currently involved in a local mentor program in the city of Jacksonville, serving as a mentor to young boys in underrepresented communities.

Post MBA goals: Short term is to pivot to strategy consulting. Ultimately, my career goal is to close the opportunity gap that exists for people who look like me and grew up where I did. The avenue through which I want to do this is by developing social impact businesses that solve development challenges and offer career opportunities that can change the wealth paradigm both in America and in Ghana.


Love the post-MBA goal here, as well as your community work, so those are really your strengths. The part I am not completely sure of is your work experience, does the new role you mentioned mean you are getting promoted? Or do you have any other impressive achievements work-wise to add to your profile? (If you do, or there is anything else that could make a difference when it comes to the work part, feel free to be in touch at: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ and we can give you a new evaluation as that could change the situation. You could also try our free admissions chances calculator, as the more details you fill in about yourself, the more accurate even an automated evaluation becomes: https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/)

But as things stand now, assuming there has been no promotions or measurable achievements at work, I would say you are not a “clear admit” for Columbia, due to that part. So I really hope you have something to add that could make that part more attractive to the adcom!

JL


Thank you for your response! I appreciate the time taken. The role would be a promotion into a Structured Finance role for the Aviation industry. I haven't gotten the role yet but am in the process of interviewing and if given the opportunity, I'd be in that role and will have 2 years to earn another promotion within the department. I was also accepted into the MLT program and so I think that will assist in making me a more well rounded candidate. I will definitely check out the links provided as well. Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 1081

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 08:21
mpriestly wrote:
Background and nationality: Mixed race (Japanese & White)
Undergrad Information: Public Ivy 3.25 B.S In Biological Sciences while working 20 hours/week
GMAT: 740 48Q|44VThat's a pretty impressive GMAT so kudos there!
Work experience and leadership: 36 months at matriculation; Enterprise Technology Sales (Analytics, Middleware & Infrastructure Products)
Community and others: College Coach with the Boys and Girls Club & iMentor & Design and Teach high school students engineering and design concepts through a non profit Interesting community service too! Would love to see you expand on some of this during your essays!
Post MBA goals: Healthcare Consulting into Healthcare eventually (Tied into an experience that I had with a traumatic injury)
Anything else?
Heavy extracurricular activities during college. Student Government & Leadership roles in Social and Professional Organizations
Applying Early decision
I think you will present well from what I see here- but then I also encourage you to think about WHY Columbia will help you reach your goals and is the right fit for you. Even if you have already gotten pretty far on this- we at Stratus would be glad to help wherever you are- we offer even hourly consulting or can do a mock interview with you to prepare for hopefully your CBS interview! To learn more about how we can help,
go to this link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/ and for just general tips on CBS, here is a helpful article also: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... -into-cbs/

_________________

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Image

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 08:26
Would appreciate some feedback on my profile.

Background and nationality: Russian, white, female - 25 years old
Undergrad Information: Bachelor - top Finance University in Russia (International Economic Relationships, GPA 3.12), MSc - HEC Paris (International Business, GPA 3.42)
GMAT: 710 (V42, Q46)
Work experience and leadership: 2 years in consulting in the top company (Dubai), several internships: internship in research department of the leading Investment bank (Russia); Internship in global payment and technology company (Paris)
Community and others: Volunteered at AIESEC; Collected, led and trained a team of 5 students that won 2 nd place out of 70 Russian teams in Cup Ural Case Challenge in 2012;
Performed as lead organizer of the graduation night for 45 students with the budget of USD 20,000; Organized a charity raffle to gather funds for Red Cross (+20,000 USD raised); Reported at conferences: FRANFINANCE 2013 (presented in french), Week of Science 2012 Philosophy 2 nd place, Week of Science 2013 Politology 3 rd place, Modern Problems of European Economic Integration and Collaboration between Russia and Europe 2012 at Russian Foreign Trade Academy.
Post MBA goals: I am interested in video gaming industry. My immediate goal after MBA is to get a strategy position into one of the big gaming companies. My long-term goal is to open my own company that will develop games.

Thank you!

Last edited by Iana__C on 07 Sep 2017, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Location: United States
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V46
GPA: 3.99
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 20:58
Would be much appreciated for advice on my profile.

Background and nationality: Asian, male, 27 years old
Undergrad: Big-ten, Finance major, GPA 3.99
GMAT: 730
Professional experience: 2.5 yrs in top 3 banks, 1 yr in FinTech intrapreneurship
Community: Tutored students on personal finance and career prep. for 100 hrs+
Post MBA: Personal Finance Product Mgr. Long term goal is to build out a personal finance product that people can use day in and day out.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 10:38
Background and nationality: White, UK, Male, 25 (26 at matriculation)
Undergrad Information: 3.7 GPA equivalent in Political Science at top London University (think LSE or UCL)
GMAT: 720 (Q: 47, V: 42, IR: 7, AWA: 6)
Work experience and leadership: Big Four M&A Tax (first promotion after qualifying as CA - not possible to be promoted sooner). Hold a leadership role at work amongst junior staff. Rated highly in performance reviews and have been involved with a number of high-profile client events and internal projects relating to the implications of politics (especially recent UK politics) on our services/work.
Community and others: Have an entrepreneurial background - co-founded a start-up at university and was successful as an investor whilst there. Was also a well-regarded player of a particular skill-based game that resulted in prizes and coached others in this game. Today, I continue appraising investments with my brother and also help out to manage the family business. Community-wise: more politically active than a charity person.
Post MBA goals: Investment banking in New York
Anything else? Applying round 2. Expect to produce strong essays and to focus on finance as groundwork towards a long-term goal as a FTSE100 CFO

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 12:22
Background

Sex : Male
Age : 23 (24 by the time of admission)
Nationality : Indian

Education Info
Degree : B.Tech-M.Tech.(Dual Degree), IIT Kanpur
Stream : Mechanical Engineering
GPA : 3.44 (UG), 3.72 (PG)

GRE : 332(170Q, 162V, 4AWA) (equivalent to 760 in GMAT)

Work Experience (total 2 years)
- Started working as a business analyst in a Fortune 500 company(Financial Analytics). – 1.5 years
- Then I switched to securities analyst in world’s largest (or one of the biggest) investment bank.- 6 months : I’d try for an promotion this year but seems difficult.

Co-Curricular activities
* Basically not much going on (recently) However, during my undergraduate time, I was part of college society, teaching under-privileged school kids from nearby villages.
* I was part of NCC(National cadet Corps) group of college during first year, where we carried out many awareness rallies in villages and plantation/cleanliness drives.
* I also taught kids from villages during my school for 3 years at my home in my town.

Goal of MBA
* Motivation is to get a job at a PE/VC firm just after the graduation or in a hedge fund as a trader.
* Aspire to be a hedge fund manager or start my own fund in long term.

Is this the right time for an MBA ? Is this even a correct way to achieve what I aim for ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 12:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 58 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.