GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 24 May 2020, 15:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2020, 10:47
Hi, and thanks for writing! You have a progressive career path, and I like that you have both India and U.S. experience. CBS is very competitive though, and especially for Indian applicants. While a 730 is at the average GMAT for CBS, I recommend taking it again to exceed the average and to help offset your GPA (though the CFA will help with that as well).

One thing you'll want to do before you proceed with CBS or any other programs, though - see if you are a valid candidate given that you already have a Masters of Business (unless your degree is not an MBA equivalent)? And in any case, you'll want to provide a very compelling reason for why you need an MBA on top of that degree in order to achieve your career goals. Further, you'll want to explain those goals: why you want to transition to banking or investment management? What drives these goals based on your observations and experiences to date, and what kind of mark do you want to make in your career? One thing to note is that at age 30, you are on the older side for both a full-time MBA applicant and for entry into these roles, which will pose a challenge.

I see that you were involved in extracurriculars in college - how about post-college? That would lead to a stronger profile.

Overall, based on the factors I mentioned, I think CBS would be a reach for you. But please don't hesitate to schedule a free consultation if you would like to discuss further.

HarryPotter112 wrote:
Hi

Please review my profile. I am looking for admission in the full time mba program of columbia 2021 intake.

Background and nationality : Indian Female, Age is 30

Undergrad Information : 3.2. Qualified Chartered Accountant from ICAI ( passed all exams at first attempt) - foreign equivalent of CPA. Passed all 3 levels of the CFA program at first attempt. Completed Masters of Business with majors in finance and accounting from University of Mumbai, India.

GMAT: 730

Work experience and leadership :
Corporate Finance:
Financial Controller with UBS for the Treasuries Division in USA (2 years)
Consulting:
Worked with Fortune 500 companies like FedEx group, Delta Airlines, Twentieth Century Fox, NewsCorp entities etc. managed a team of analysts and associates.
Deputy Manager -Tax Consulting - PwC India (2 years)
Senior Consultant - Tax Consulting - Deloitte India (3 years)

Community - Tutored students during undergrad

Post MBA goals - Investment Banking or Investment Managment

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2020, 01:58
Background and nationality: White Italian

Undergrad Information: BSc in Economics and Management, Italian public university, grade 3.79/4
Double Degree program, MSc in finance at Cattolica university, Msc in Global Finance at Fordham university in New York, respectively grade: 4/4 with honor, 3,87/4
Currently studing for CFA II level exam

Work experience and leadership: 36 months at matriculation; Second-tier Investment bank in Milan, Analyst in Capital Markets, fixed income and derivatives Sales

Community and others: I was previously engaged in a professional football career which saw me reach the Italian National Under 20 Football Team.

Post MBA goals: Hedge fund industry or TOP IB In Investment Management, Very interested in an opportunity to work in US which could potentially change my personal and professional life.

Applying for January Intake
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2020, 11:44
AndreawC wrote:
Hi @AndreawC, thanks for reaching out for a profile review-- and I hope you are safe from Covid. It is a good time to be studying for exams so I hope your CFAII goes well. I guess the big question is why do you want an MBA when you already have the MSc in finance? Be prepared to answer that question.
Undergrad Information: BSc in Economics and Management, Italian public university, grade 3.79/4
Double Degree program, MSc in finance at Cattolica university, Msc in Global Finance at Fordham university in New York, respectively grade: 4/4 with honor, 3,87/4

Work experience and leadership: 36 months at matriculation; Second-tier Investment bank in Milan, Analyst in Capital Markets, fixed income and derivatives Sales
This indeed could be the year to apply to CBS-- if you are not able to get her for the fall I still think you should apply now -- and even better than what I say-- why don't you reach out to CBS on this directly as they are scheduling 15 minute calls with applicants to decide when is the right time to apply. The link for that is here
Community and others: I was previously engaged in a professional football career which saw me reach the Italian National Under 20 Football Team.
That could be an interesting bonus in your profile to help you stand out.... back in the days when there were sports.... (trying to have a little humor here) It is definitely a plus to share your professional football info.
Post MBA goals: Hedge fund industry or TOP IB In Investment Management, Very interested in an opportunity to work in US which could potentially change my personal and professional life. This is your reason why then-- in part-- for MBA-- but I would also talk about leadership. When you approach your CBS essays-- think about what you need from CBS to help you reach your goals, reach out to students so that you can be as specific as possible about the hedge fund or IB Investment management group that interests you. And when you write about the leader you admire, give examples of what qualities you admire and how you have tried to build that into your own leadership style. If you want someone to challenge you as you write your essays, we would be glad to talk further in a free consult: link here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/consult/

B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 20:04
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
AndreawC wrote:
Hi @AndreawC, thanks for reaching out for a profile review-- and I hope you are safe from Covid. It is a good time to be studying for exams so I hope your CFAII goes well. I guess the big question is why do you want an MBA when you already have the MSc in finance? Be prepared to answer that question.

This indeed could be the year to apply to CBS-- if you are not able to get her for the fall I still think you should apply now -- and even better than what I say-- why don't you reach out to CBS on this directly as they are scheduling 15 minute calls with applicants to decide when is the right time to apply. The link for that is here
That could be an interesting bonus in your profile to help you stand out.... back in the days when there were sports.... (trying to have a little humor here) It is definitely a plus to share your professional football info.
Post MBA goals: Hedge fund industry or TOP IB In Investment Management, Very interested in an opportunity to work in US which could potentially change my personal and professional life. This is your reason why then-- in part-- for MBA-- but I would also talk about leadership. When you approach your CBS essays-- think about what you need from CBS to help you reach your goals, reach out to students so that you can be as specific as possible about the hedge fund or IB Investment management group that interests you. And when you write about the leader you admire, give examples of what qualities you admire and how you have tried to build that into your own leadership style. If you want someone to challenge you as you write your essays, we would be glad to talk further in a free consult: link here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/consult/

are they still diong 15 mins calls?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!   [#permalink] 02 May 2020, 20:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   [ 244 posts ] 

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: jeometricals