GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Five hundred million different species of living creatures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Five hundred million different species  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 22:47
This question is a typical example of choosing the best among the worst.

Original Sentence - Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

Have appeared does not go with vanishing- Tense or parallelism issue

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared
on Earth have vanished.- The meaning of the sentence is that 99% of 50000000 species just vanished, i.e. they vanished at once in the recent past. The intended meaning is that the 99% of 50000000 species have vanished from the beginning of time till now. - Incorrect

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living
creatures that appeared on Earth. - Poor Structure - Non-necessary passive voice construction

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth,
nearly 99 percent of them have vanished- Same meaning issue as in choice B. The meaning of the sentence is that 99% of 50000000 species just vanished, i.e. they vanished at once in the recent past.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth,
nearly 99 percent have vanished. - Though the opening clause modifies nearly. This is a bit disconcerting but at least the meaning is clear because have is used properly and is in a parallel form. So E seems to be the best choice
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 11:39
sannidhya wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent
of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99
percent of them vanishing.
B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared
on Earth have vanished.
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living
creatures that appeared on Earth.
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth,
nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth,
nearly 99 percent have vanished.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99
percent of them vanishing.

I do not like 'vanishing'. It seems a bit strange to use such a verb that is one complete action, rather than a continuous one, in -- ing participle form.

on Earth have vanished.

Some of these species still exist, so 'appear' seems to be imprecise.
Also, 'that' might modify the whole phrase '99 percent ... creatures'; this seems illogical because it says that of these 99 percent ... of creatures, those that appeared on earth (and not those that did not appear on earth!) have vanished.

creatures that appeared on Earth.

Seems terrible!
Also the same problem as in B

nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

Redundancy

nearly 99 percent have vanished

Correct!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 07:58
E is the correct answer because of proper sentence construction.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 22:39
msuyash wrote:
E is the correct answer because of proper sentence construction.

Great!

Suyash, could you give reasons as to why the rest of the choices are wrong? Errors that are present in them?
Queens MBA Thread Master
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Five hundred million different species  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 07:53
asaar wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
E. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Meaning :
500 Million different Species have appeared on earth and 99% have vanished .( We are among lucky 1 % :P)

Error In original sentence.
Sentence construction - " them vanishing" Second part does not have verb "vanishing" is not verb.
Two ideas Appeared and vanished are not connected through proper connection word.
Them in second part does not sound proper and illogically refer to 500 million number (not sure if this reason is wrong to eliminate them)

POE
A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
Incorrect - Reason explained above

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
Caluse 1 - Nearly 99 percent (Fluff) have vanished - Correct
Clause 2 - that (species) appeared on Earth - Species appeared and effect is still on ( we are still on earth). Hence present perfect have appeared is right.

Incorrect

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
Incorrect structure - Vanished are something. this is not correct. we wanted to say something is vanished.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
clause 1 - Of five hundred million different species of living creatures, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished
Them doesn't not have antecedent.
Incorrect.

E. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished
Removes the error introduced in option D.
Creatures have appeared - Correct
Of five hundred million different species of living creatures,nearly 99 percent have vanished - correct

Correct answer - E

asaar does it help.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 22:04
Hi VishwaPrakash,

I am torn between B and E.

I found B more correct. Please could you highlight the subtle error in the B.

In E.., the two present perfect tenses are wrong ( I mean.., the appearance of the 500 living creatures is currently ongoing and also vanishing is ongoing).

A similar explanation was provided by Manhattan GMAT sentence correction guide. ( The boy has drawn a square and the ocean has erased it- As wrong). I feel the same happening in this question. please could you highlight where I am going wrong.

vishwaprakash wrote:
asaar wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

E. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Meaning :
500 Million different Species have appeared on earth and 99% have vanished .( We are among lucky 1 % :P)

Sentence construction - " them vanishing" Second part does not have verb "vanishing" is not verb.
Two ideas Appeared and vanished are not connected through proper connection word.
Them in second part does not sound proper and illogically refer to 500 million number (not sure if this reason is wrong to eliminate them)

POE

Clause 2 - that (species) appeared on Earth - Species appeared and effect is still on ( we are still on earth). Hence present perfect have appeared is right.

Incorrect

Incorrect structure - Vanished are something. this is not correct. we wanted to say something is vanished.

clause 1 - Of five hundred million different species of living creatures, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished
Incorrect.

E. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished
Of five hundred million different species of living creatures,nearly 99 percent have vanished - correct

Correct answer - E

asaar does it help.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Queens MBA Thread Master
Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 00:18
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Hi VishwaPrakash,

I am torn between B and E.

I found B more correct. Please could you highlight the subtle error in the B.

In E.., the two present perfect tenses are wrong ( I mean.., the appearance of the 500 living creatures is currently ongoing and also vanishing is ongoing).

A similar explanation was provided by Manhattan GMAT sentence correction guide. ( The boy has drawn a square and the ocean has erased it- As wrong). I feel the same happening in this question. please could you highlight where I am going wrong.

vishwaprakash wrote:
asaar wrote:

Meaning :

POE

Incorrect

Incorrect.

Correct answer - E

asaar does it help.

Hi shriramvelamuri,

Let me try again :)

We use present perfect for the situation whose effect are still continued in present. Say for example, i met with Person X simple past since event happened in past and stayed in past. I have won a world cup - Present perfect I won in past and effect is still ON.

Species appeared and effect is still on. So Present perfect is appropriate (In my view)

Option B :
Clause 2 - "Species appeared on Earth " - That means something appeared in past say 1 billion Yrs ago and then it stopped. But in reality species are still on earth, effect is still On. I think Past tense is not valid.

That is why i rejected Option B.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 05:33
Thank you very much! It helped!
My dilemma in choosing the right answer was primarily caused by the choices D & E. I was under the illusion that "...99% of them" (them) was necessary to pinpoint what exactly vanished. Hence, I ended up treating them as a suitable reference pronoun to the 500 million. Having said that, I am not totally convinced that them is wrongly used.

Would it be correct if the sentence started with "Five hundred million...." instead of "Of five hundred million...."
Doing so would make the Five hundred million different species the subject, have appeared the verb, of them the correct pronoun

The devil lies in the details & I'd be doomed if I skip the details. Thank you very much. I appreciate your help!

vishwaprakash wrote:
asaar wrote:

Meaning :

POE

Incorrect

Incorrect.

Correct answer - E

asaar does it help.
Intern
Intern
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 10:28
People argue that the main flaw in "B" is its Past tense. "Appeared"

But I highly think that it should be "appeared" and not present perfect " have appeared". The reason is that the sentence already gave out a number - "500 million different species". The "500 million different species" is past, and 99% of those species have vanished. If new species are given birth by mother earth, it would exceed the 500 million counts, perhaps reaching 600 million in the future, and It doesn't make any sense to conclude that 99% of those future species will vanish. So the sentence must mean that the 500 million species existed on earth sometime in the past and vanished/extinct.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 11:15
enigma123 wrote:

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Any idea what will be the correct answer guys? I am confused between D and E.

IMO:

In Answer Choice D,While intended meaning of them is referring to five hundred million different species ,logically it could refer to living creatures too.So Choice D is Ambiguous

But answer Choice E successfully eliminated the concern raised in Answer Choice D and also made the subject specific(Of the five hundred million different species)

So, Correct Answer E

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 03:38

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished

Why do we want present perfect in this sentence "Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth" and not past tense. Appearance of those 500 million species we are talking about - is one time event in the past. It's like saying "I was born". Expert pl clarify.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 10:21
Top Contributor

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth nearly 99 percent of them vanishing. ----This choice says that the verb+ing modifier of vanishing is a result of the earlier action of appearance or the impact of it. This is absurd.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished. --- 'That appeared' implies that all of the five hundred million species appeared at the single time. This is weird. In Evolution, species keep on generating and keep on dying.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth. --- Same problem as in B.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished. ---- 'of them' is redundant since five million species are already stated. However, the allegation that 'them' ambiguously may refer to either species or creatures may not be sustainable, since the reference is about the different species of living creatures and not about different species dead creatures.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished ... error free.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Five hundred million different species of living creatures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 17:22
"in worth" creates a problem that the sentence is missing a verb. Also, a comparison of "in worth" between 2 groups sounds weird. => C and D are wrong.
in B, not sure about the the comparison because a verb or an adjective is missing
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 17:35
amit2k9 wrote:
worth of the goods is being compared here.Not the goods themselves.

worth is singular and that clearly refers to this as in A.

I will prefer A over E here.

A is incorrect because of "that remain"; it is obvious
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 09:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 09:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Five hundred million different species of living creatures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap