It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five hundred million different species of living creatures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Five hundred million different species of living creatures [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 14:58
Well even I selected E at first, but after carefully scrutinizing the answer choices, chose B.
Reasons:
In option B, appeared is in simple past suggesting that the event of appearing happened earlier. (they no more appear). While the present perfect verb 'have vanished' suggests that the action of vanishing started somewhere in the near past and continues in the present. Hence proper verb sequencing.

However, in E, usage of present perfect tense in both the verbs illogically suggests that the action of appearing and vanishing continued simultaneously. I mean how can both happen together. They first appeared and then vanished.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 11:39
Between B and E i chose B for two points ,for one B is concise (Wouldn't reject it for the missing 'the' ) and the second is the presence of have in E suggests that vanishing and appearing happened at the same time which doesn't present the correct chronology of events.
hope i made sense.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 05:37
ricokevin wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Can anyone please explain why 'B' is not the answer?

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5458 [0], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 05:58
Divyadisha wrote:
ricokevin wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

The main FLAW is the tense that is used..
the new species are still appearing so we cannot limit them by usage of PAST tense..
it should have been 'that have appeared on earth'-- an ongoing process

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5458 [0], given: 112

Director
Director

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 08:33
chetan2u wrote:
Divyadisha wrote:
ricokevin wrote:

The main FLAW is the tense that is used..
the new species are still appearing so we cannot limit them by usage of PAST tense..
it should have been 'that have appeared on earth'-- an ongoing process

Thanks chetan2u .

Helpful, as always! :)

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 546

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 09:57
[quote="Divyadisha"][quote="chetan2u"][quote="Divyadisha"][quote="ricokevin"]Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

hi,
experts, kindly explain the usage of THE in a sentence and a sentence without the usage of THE.
Can a answer be solely correct on use of THE?
say example D and E
thanks

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 546

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 02:04
Celestial09 wrote:

hi,
experts, kindly explain the usage of THE in a sentence and a sentence without the usage of THE.
Can a answer be solely correct on use of THE?
say example D and E
thanks

Usage of "the" is not the reason that distinguishes E from D as the correct option. Option D is wrong because of redundant use of "of them". The sentence starts with "Of five hundred million different species ". Subsequent use of "of them" makes the sentence wrong.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 04:35
ricokevin wrote:

OA: E

Ack! Please Explain.

Why can't B be the answer?

Wrong:- Tense (Vanishing) is wrong

Wrong :- Subtle Meaning change:- Seems like origin of species was a finite fixed event. As If 500 million species appeared on earth at one time and then started vanishing one by one. Remember appearance off species is a continuous process. Some vanish, while simultaneously other reappear due to mutation.

Wrong:- So perfect in grammar, but it is in PASSIVE VOICE. not preferred on GMAT

Wrong :- Reduntant use of "of" makes the sentence awkward

Correct:- Correct Meaning- Implies that species appeared at different time. "Have" implies a continuous seamless act.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 09:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 59

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 03:06
nocilis wrote:

The OA provided is wrong. I checked from the source, it is a kaplan question.
OA is E.
also B cannot be right as "blah blah blah.. of creatures that appeared on earth" is wrong as that cannot be used with creatures.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 59

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 102

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 11:58
nocilis wrote:

VeritasPrepKarishma, mikemcgarry
Could you guys please help resolve the issue between B & E..

According to me, the Issue with E is

Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

We use Present Perfect to denote an Action/Event that started in Past and is still there in Present or its Effect is still there in Present. So, wouldn't the Sentence fragment - species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth - mean that those species appeared on Earth in past and new ones are still appearing. Here, present perfect cannot mean the other thing because sentence further says that - Nearly 99% of those species have vanished.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 09:20
umg wrote:
nocilis wrote:

Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

We use Present Perfect to denote an Action/Event that started in Past and is still there in Present or its Effect is still there in Present. So, wouldn't the Sentence fragment - species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth - mean that those species appeared on Earth in past and new ones are still appearing. Here, present perfect cannot mean the other thing because sentence further says that - Nearly 99% of those species have vanished.

I do not see a problem with E; rather option E seems better than B:
The species appeared in the past and are still continuing to appear - till date five hundred million species have appeared. Hence past perfect is better than simple past.

A more detailed explanation can be found here:
five-hundred-million-different-species-of-living-creatures-16579-60.html#p773666

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 05:11
sayantanc2k wrote:
umg wrote:
nocilis wrote:

The species appeared in the past and are still continuing to appear - till date five hundred million species have appeared. Hence past perfect is better than simple past.

five-hundred-million-different-species-of-living-creatures-16579-60.html#p773666

I did read Tommy Wallach's comment before but it couldn't resolve my doubt.

Anyways, what I have understood from your comment and all others' before you is that the number of species included in E is more than that in B. While B says that about 500 mil species appeared in past, E says that 500 mil species include even those species that appeared/were discovered today.

Did I get it right?

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 08:07
umg wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

I did read Tommy Wallach's comment before but it couldn't resolve my doubt.

Anyways, what I have understood from your comment and all others' before you is that the number of species included in E is more than that in B. While B says that about 500 mil species appeared in past, E says that 500 mil species include even those species that appeared/were discovered today.

Did I get it right?

Yes, that is what the posts convey. Here is an alternative take on this:

Case 1. A species X no longer lives:

1.1 A species X appeared and have vanished. (Here the appearance has no effect in the present since it has already vanished - the effect of vanishing is though still there.)

1.2 A species appeared and vanished. (Here the appearance has no effect in the present since it has already vanished - the effect of vanishing is also not there.)

Case 2. A species Y still lives:

2.1 A species Y has appeared. (Here the appearance has effect in the present since the species still lives.)

Now out of all the species, some appeared and have vanished (OR vanished), and the others have appeared and are still living - in this case since at least some effect of the appearance is there (because at least some species are still living), present perfect would be appropriate:

Out of all the species that HAVE appeared, some have vanished (or vanished). (The others are still living.)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 21:27
A is out because of an incorrectly placed modifier. Earth, nearly... - Earth is not vanishing.
D is out due to the redundant use of the pronoun them.
C is out due to two reasons; chose the one that suits you. 1. "Vanished have" would have been a better option compared to "Vanished are". 2.An unspoken bias towards active voice rather than passive voice.

Between B and E, I chose B. While E sounds grammatically correct to me, I chose B as it demonstrates the GMAT approach of retaining the diction of a statement with fewer words.

Hence, B

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 165

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 19:07
Hi sayantanc2k,

Could you please advise why E is preferred over C?

Thanks
RzS

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 111

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheRzS wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k,

Could you please advise why E is preferred over C?

Thanks
RzS

Two problems:

1. The passive construction X is vanished implies that the act of vanishing was performed on X by someone else - this usage is not correct. The creatures vanished, not that they are vanished (by someone else).

2. Starting a sentence with a verb is not a standard practice. Option C has a more standard construction: starting with a prepositional phrase modifier, then the subject and finally the verb.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 18:27
B changes the meaning of the sentence because "have appeared" is changed to "appeared".
I thought A is correct because "nearly..." is absolute phrase, but now I know that the clause must be included in the sentence because "nearly..." is not a modifier.
the article "the" will not be tested in real GMAT. D is wrong because "them" is unclear; it is hard to tell whether "them" refers to "species" or "living creatures".

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 11:07
nocilis wrote:

A -> Wrong construction -> Out
B -> Looks interesting -> Keep it for now
C -> Weird construction -> Out
D -> Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished. -> Redundant use of "OF" -> Out
E -> Looks interesting -> Keep it for now

Compare B and E now:
B -> Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished. -> Appeared -> Past , Have vanished -> Present Perfect.
Implies 5M of the species once appeared in the past.
99% of them vanished in the past and is still vanishing now.
E -> Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
Have appeared, have vanished -> Both present perfect.
Implies the process of appearing and vanishing started and is still continuing. Makes better sense.

N.B: On the first glimpse B seemed better choice to because of its simple construction. Giving it a 2nd thought E seems the right one.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 22:15
Here is my take.
a) Modifier issue. Ing modifier when following a clause imply that the action is happening at the same time. How can you have appearing and vanishing together. Also, the other usage of ing modifiers is to indicate a consequence- again something which is nonsensical in this case.
b) This can't be right. If 99% of the species that appeared have disappeared, then it means that some species still appear because not all of them have disappeared(not the best way to represent what I mean, but hope this will do :D). How can you then use Past tense "appeared". It should be have appeared as the species still continue to show up.
c) A blunder .
d) redundancy- of 500 million and of them again later in the sentence
e) No obvious errors

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 33

Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2017, 22:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 142 posts ] 

Five hundred million different species of living creatures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap