Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1472 [525]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [206]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [33]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [13]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
nocilis wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(A) Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(B) Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

(C) Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

(D) Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

(E) Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and of these species, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “vanishing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "nearly 99 percent of them vanishing"; the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "vanishing" in this sentence)" construction incorrectly implies that five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and as a result, nearly 99 percent these species have vanished; the intended meaning is that five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and, as a separate action, of these species, nearly 99 percent have vanished; please remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “vanishing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "99 percent of five hundred million"; the omission of the word "the" incorrectly implies that more than five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and of a particular subset of these species, nearly 99 percent have vanished; the intended meaning is that a total of five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and of these species, nearly 99 percent have vanished. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "appeared" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "appeared" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present; remember, the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present, and the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past. Further, Option C uses the passive voice construction "Vanished are nearly 99 percent", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "Of five hundred million"; the omission of the word "the" incorrectly implies that more than five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and of a particular subset of these species, nearly 99 percent have vanished; the intended meaning is that a total of five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and of these species, nearly 99 percent have vanished. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "nearly 99 percent of them ", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice uses the phrases "Of the five hundred million" and "nearly 99 percent have vanished", conveying the intended meaning - that a total of five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, and, as a separate action, of these species, nearly 99 percent have vanished. Further, Option E correctly uses the present perfect tense verb "have appeared" to refer to an action that concluded in the past but continues to affect the present. Additionally, Option E is free of any awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

[spoiler=]

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [9]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I go for E

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
A is akward, use of ING for "vanishing" and no link between the 2 main clauses.B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
Suggest that there may be more than 500M different species
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
Akward construction
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
I have hesitation with this one but it is not clear if there exists more than 500M different species. It is just said "Of 500M" and not "Of the 500M"
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
Ok
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
i ll go with E

one problem, what i notice in B is the usage of "appeared" . it should be "have appeared" with the change in the sentence construction.

B- Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

the relative clause "that appeared on earth" modifies "living creatures"

living creatures is the whole group (100%) out of which 99% have vanished.
so-- "living creatures that appeared on earth"-- would suggest that not a single specie of the 500 million diff species EXISTS (appear) at present, but in fact 1% of them are still in existence.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sorry for the late reply. I've been meaning to re-work this question, but I've been bogged down with office work. Anyway, here are my thoughts on this question.

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
- A is wrong. 'have appeared on earth' suggests new creatures are still appearing today. 'nearly 99% of them vanishing' is also disjointed from the earlier part of the sentence.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
- 99% of the species that appeared -> correct, past tense suggests that the creatures have already appeared
- 'have vanished' suggests that the species are still dying out today.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
- 'Vanished are early 99%' -> sounds strange. Beginning with a verb (vanish) that does not modify anything.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
- same as for A (have appeared)

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
- same as for A (have appeared)

I'll take B.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
E it is
B's multiple prepositional structure is wrong. For instance, instead of saying "100 of X of Y that...", one should simplify things down to "100 of THE X of Y that...". This makes the sentence much more simple by removing degrees of reference.

D has the same problem as B but furthermore, we are not sure whether personal pronoun "them" refers to "species" or "creatures" and it also intrudes the flow of the sentence. The appositive form in E, at the end and without the superfluous "them", makes for a much better sentence flow.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [5]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ricokevin wrote:

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

OA: E

Ack! Please Explain.

Why can't B be the answer?

Here's my take -

The key is the use of the article "The" and the use of present perfect tense in choice E.

Choice B leaves open the possibility that more than 500 million diff species may have appeared on earth. E make is specific - only 500 mill diff species have appeared and 99% of these have vanished.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
E)

I agree with techjanson, the action still continues, so Pres. Perfect is required. In these type of questions, when you're doubting between 2 answer choices that both look correct, ALWAYS compare them with the original sentence to verify that they are not changing the meaning. Remember that in SC you could have 2 answer choices that are correct, but the one you have to select is the BETTER of them!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by Private Message. Apparently, it has appeared in three different threads, none of which have resolved. So I'm going to be adding this exact post to all three threads. Be aware if you see it repeated!

PROBLEM: First off "nearly 99 percent..." appears to be modifying "Earth," when we want it to modify "five hundred million different species." Secondly, "vanishing" is not correct on its own, as it is a present participle and we'd prefer some kind of perfect tense (because the vanishing started in the past and continues into the present).
Hope that helps!

-t

Hi tommy ,
Plesae consider the following sentence
He ran into the building,determined to save his puppy.
What is "determined"modifying ?
Also in the second bolded part ,Please tell me can a present participle be only used 1)as an adverbial modifier when it follows the comma after a clause
I crossed the pool,swimming with all my might.
2)as a modifier modifying the noun before it
The car going down the street is red
3)as a gerund
4) with "was/is/are/am" to indicate the progressive tense.
I was running.
I am running.

What is the function of the present participle in the following sentence
The leader came in a car,with his bodyguards following suit.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM