Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mayank221133 wrote:
EducationAisle Hi,

1) Can you help explain why "The" is necessary in option D.

2) If in option D "them" is not present, do we still need to include 'The" ?

for eg: if the sentence was : (D) Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished. Do we need 'The' here?

I really would not bother about the Mayank; GMAT doesn't test on the usage of articles (a/an/the). In other words, articles would never be the only differentiating factor between two options. So, would always suggest that you look for other splits between options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appear [#permalink]
nocilis wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(A) Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(B) Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

(C) Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

(D) Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

(E) Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

SC16020.02

Hello experts,

I have a few doubts in this question.

1. What is the role of "vanishing" in option A? Is it acting as a verb or a modifier? And why is A wrong because of vanishing?

2. What is wrong with option B? I was stuck between B and E.

ChiranjeevSingh GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AndrewN Skywalker18 AjiteshArun

Thank you in advance!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
nocilis wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(A) Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

(B) Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

(C) Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

(D) Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

(E) Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

SC16020.02

Hello experts,

I have a few doubts in this question.

1. What is the role of "vanishing" in option A? Is it acting as a verb or a modifier? And why is A wrong because of vanishing?

2. What is wrong with option B? I was stuck between B and E.

ChiranjeevSingh GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AndrewN Skywalker18 AjiteshArun

Thank you in advance!

Hello, ashmit99. It looks as if I have gotten to this query early enough not to be third in line. (I would still respond if I felt I had something new to add, other than to say that the other Experts had already done a fine job.) In (A), vanishing is indeed a problem. It seems to be filling the role of a verb, particularly if you examine the other answer choices. However, we cannot ignore the missing helping verb in to have or to be to make that interpretation stronger: nearly 99 percent of them are vanishing, for instance, leaves no room for interpretation. But, of course, that is not what we are dealing with. It seems that the word is instead modifying them, which itself refers to species, or, if you prefer the fuller version, different species of living creatures. A new issue arises when you consider what, exactly, vanishing may be modifying. Are the species vanishing from the face of the Earth, as the other sentences seem to imply in their own way, or are the species highly developed in the camouflage department, such that they can make themselves vanish (and be described as vanishing species of creatures)? Because the earlier usage of have appeared leads us to believe that some of these species may not exist in the present, we expect have vanished, an actual verb, to follow up on that idea. Vanishing as a modifier simply does not work in the sentence.

As for (B), the meaning of the sentence is open to interpretation because appeared within the embedded clause at the end—not have appeared—does not present a clear timeline. Are we commenting only on species from the past? (Choice (E), by contrast, extends into the present.) Did all five hundred million different species of living creatures co-exist? Were dinosaurs walking around with dodos and woolly mammoths? I know this sounds silly, but the simple past conjugation of the verb suggests as much, or at least we cannot argue that it does not. Choice (E) is a safer bet, in terms of the meaning it conveys.

I hope that helps clear your doubts. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
can somebody help me out? Plz

option D has "of them" in the dependent clause ", nearly 99 percent of them have vanished." Is this also problemetic?

p.s. is this grammer similar to ", some of which...(clause)" and ", some of them...(phrase)"?

Thanks in advance! :heart
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
GMATNinja Could you please explain how the use of present perfect tense both for 'appearing' and 'vanishing' works? Doesn't it indicate that the vanishing and appearing are both continuing presently?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
nocilis wrote:

SC16020.02

The sentence is telling us that nearly 99% of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth have vanished.

We need to use ‘the’ before ‘five hundred million different species’ to show that this is the total number of species that have appeared, not a subset of the number of species.

Take a simpler example:
Of the ten friends I have, four are coming tomorrow. (I have total ten friends)
Of ten friends I have, four are coming tomorrow. (Awkward! I may have more than ten friends but I am talking about ten only.)

Hence, options (B) and (D) are not correct.

The appearance of species is not complete. Many species appeared and more keep appearing. We are talking about the 500 million species that have already appeared on Earth as of now. Hence, the use of ‘appeared’ would be incorrect. It signals that the action happened in the past but is over now. We should use ‘have appeared’ to show that we are talking about the species that have appeared till now. Other species are appearing and will likely continue to appear in the future i.e. the time period is not over (discussed in ‘Simple Past vs Present Perfect’ section of the Tenses module). By the same logic, ‘have vanished’ would be correct since the period of vanishing is not over but many species have vanished (their vanishing is complete)

To take a simpler example,

I met him many times.
(means I don’t meet him anymore. I met him before he moved to another city etc.)

I have met him many times.
(means I have met him in the past and continue to do so in the present too)

Hence, options (A), (B) and (C) are not correct.
Option (A) uses present participle ‘vanishing’ as a modifier for the 99% of the five hundred million species which makes no sense. They have already vanished so we should use the verb ‘have vanished.’
Option (C) inverts the subject and verb. Though useful sometimes, this is not done routinely.

Option (D) is incorrect also because it repeats ‘of them.’

Note with an example that we can write it correctly in one of two ways:

Of the ten friends I have, four are coming tomorrow.
Four of the ten friends I have are coming tomorrow.

Can we say ‘Of the ten friends I have, four of them are coming tomorrow’? No. We should not repeat ‘of what.’ If we start with it as a prepositional phrase, we should not mention it afterwards again.

All good.

Answer (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
dwivedys wrote:
ricokevin wrote:

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

OA: E

Ack! Please Explain.

Why can't B be the answer?

Here's my take -

The key is the use of the article "The" and the use of present perfect tense in choice E.

Choice B leaves open the possibility that more than 500 million diff species may have appeared on earth. E make is specific - only 500 mill diff species have appeared and 99% of these have vanished.

Hi,I still confused about "the " usage. " Choice B leaves open the possibility that more than 500 million diff species may have appeared on earth" Why the is so important here? I think no difference here with or without "the". What's the special usage? Can an expert elaborate it and give more examples please? It makes no sense to a non-native person-like me. Need help. Thanks a lot.
sayantanc2k wrote:
umg wrote:
nocilis wrote:

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

VeritasPrepKarishma, mikemcgarry
Could you guys please help resolve the issue between B & E..

According to me, the Issue with E is

Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

We use Present Perfect to denote an Action/Event that started in Past and is still there in Present or its Effect is still there in Present. So, wouldn't the Sentence fragment - species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth - mean that those species appeared on Earth in past and new ones are still appearing. Here, present perfect cannot mean the other thing because sentence further says that - Nearly 99% of those species have vanished.

I do not see a problem with E; rather option E seems better than B:
The species appeared in the past and are still continuing to appear - till date five hundred million species have appeared. Hence past perfect is better than simple past.

A more detailed explanation can be found here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/five-hundred ... ml#p773666

sayantanc2k
Quote:
I do not see a problem with E; rather option E seems better than B:

^^ it means B is still good choice, right? But, if something is appeared in the past how it be vanish in present?
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Incorrect:
Of the marbles in the jar, three of them are green.
Here, the red modifier is redundant with the blue modifier.
Conveyed meaning:
Three of the marbles in the jar of them are green.
Correct:
Of the marbles in the jar, three are green.

imSKR wrote:
Quote:

Here -- as in the marble example given above -- the red modifier is redundant with the blue modifier.
Eliminate D.

Thanks for the nice explanation. Sir, can you help us by explaining the article issue ('the') issue in choice E, please?

Quote:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts