It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five years ago, the town of Bayside, in the Katontic River

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1160 [2], given: 325

Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Five years ago, the town of Bayside, in the Katontic River [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:37) correct 59% (01:49) wrong based on 409 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Five years ago, the town of Bayside, in the Katontic River Valley, had catastrophic flooding one spring, and consequently, most insurers now refuse to write flood insurance for houses in Bayside. The town of Dryadia, in the Phemptic River Valley, is much like Bayside in its proximity to a similar river at an almost identical point in the river valley. We can conclude that the only reason the same insurers do not write flood insurance for houses in Dryadia either is its similarity to Bayside in terms of where it is situated in the river valley.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously undermine the argument?

A)A small number of independent insurers will write flood insurance for at least some houses in each of the two towns. I
B)It is hard for an homeowner to buy flood insurance if a large proportion of other houses in the same town have been flooded in recent years.
C) In many other towns in the Katonic River Valley, it is hard for home-owners to buy flood insurance.
D)The town of Dryadia has some flooding most springs.
E) Flooding from spring surges in rivers is only one of the ways in which a home can become flooded.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by guerrero25 on 23 Nov 2013, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1160 [2], given: 325

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Re: Five years ago, the town of Bayside, in the Katontic River [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:44
IMO D ...Please provide the OA ... D gives another reason for not writing flood insurances

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 349

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 01:54
IMO - D, as no other option seems to be a possible explanation for the argument of insurance givers. Kindly provide the OA.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

4 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1664 [4], given: 116

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 04:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The argument says that insurers do not write flood insurances for houses in Dryadia ONLY BECAUSE of its similarity to Bayside in terms of where it is situated in the river valley.

Or in other words

There is no other reason other than the fact that Dryadia is similar to Bayside in terms of where it is situated in the river valley for insurers refusing to write flood insurances.

Or in other words

Dryadian houses are refused flood insurance because of Dryadia's location.

Choice D gives another reason. It pretty much says straightforward that "Dryadia has some flooding most springs". So Dryadia's location is not the only culprit.

Answer is D

E is wrong because it is too general. We are concerned only about Dryadia.

If E had been something like "There are factors other than spring surges in rivers that cause flooding in Dryadia most springs" it could have been a strong competitor.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Kudos [?]: 1664 [4], given: 116

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 02:46
Could we not analyze this CR as below?

Premise 1: Bayside faced catastrophic floods 5 years ago and insurers are refusing to write flood insurances.
Premise 2: There is similarity between Drydia and Bayside in terms of where is it situated in river valley.
Conclusion: Insurers do not write flood insurances for Drydia because of its similarity in location in the river valley.

ASSUMPTION: Insurers fear that due to similarity there can be floods in Drydia just like Bayside.

With this assumption D in fact strengthens the argument. Am I wrong in analyzing this way?

Now E is the only choice left which says flood due to spring surges can be one reason and there could be other reasons as well. Thereby weakening the argument.

Any thoughts?

MacFauz wrote:
The argument says that insurers do not write flood insurances for houses in Dryadia ONLY BECAUSE of its similarity to Bayside in terms of where it is situated in the river valley.

Or in other words

There is no other reason other than the fact that Dryadia is similar to Bayside in terms of where it is situated in the river valley for insurers refusing to write flood insurances.

Or in other words

Dryadian houses are refused flood insurance because of Dryadia's location.

Choice D gives another reason. It pretty much says straightforward that "Dryadia has some flooding most springs". So Dryadia's location is not the only culprit.

Answer is D

E is wrong because it is too general. We are concerned only about Dryadia.

If E had been something like "There are factors other than spring surges in rivers that cause flooding in Dryadia most springs" it could have been a strong competitor.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 09:25
dear gmatprav.....

i would take your querry in this manner.................

1. the town of Bayside had catastrophic flooding one spring 5 years back................

2. another town Dryadia has similar geographical location , and consequently, same insurers do not write flood insurance there also......

THE INSURERS ONLY BASED ON A FLOOD IN BAYSIDE 5 YEARS BACK AND SIMILAR GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION DO NOT INSURE DRYADIA TOWN....

ITS A FACT THAT INSURERS DONT INSURE DRYADIA..... BUT WE HAVE TO COUNTER THE REASONS.........

D) The town of Dryadia has some flooding most springs.....BAYSIDE HAD FLOODING 5 YEARS BACK.......DRYADIA HAS IT EVERY SPRING....WHY SHOULD I INSURE IT....I WILL BE AT A LOSS...INFACT I HAVE A STRONGER REASON THAN BAYSIDE......LOCATION IS ALSO NO MORE IMPORTANT... IF IT WAS THAN BAYSIDE ALSO SHOULD HAVE FLOODING EVERY SPRING.... HENCE ALTERNATE REASON ....CORRECT....

E) Flooding from spring surges in rivers is only one of the ways in which a home can become flooded......IN HOW MANY WAYS CAN A HOME BE FLOODED IS NOT THE ISSUE ... WHETHER IT DOES AND THE INSURER TAKES COGNIZANCE OF IT IS IMPORTANT.....

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 00:59
Hello Semwal, Thanks for the explanation. I agree with the logic (I highlighted) below in your argument. But with E also there is a strong alternate reason isn't it? In fact not one, it states there are more than one alternate reasons. So E seems very clear that there are alternate reasons. no?

semwal wrote:
dear gmatprav.....

i would take your querry in this manner.................

1. the town of Bayside had catastrophic flooding one spring 5 years back................

2. another town Dryadia has similar geographical location , and consequently, same insurers do not write flood insurance there also......

THE INSURERS ONLY BASED ON A FLOOD IN BAYSIDE 5 YEARS BACK AND SIMILAR GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION DO NOT INSURE DRYADIA TOWN....

ITS A FACT THAT INSURERS DONT INSURE DRYADIA..... BUT WE HAVE TO COUNTER THE REASONS.........

D) The town of Dryadia has some flooding most springs.....BAYSIDE HAD FLOODING 5 YEARS BACK.......DRYADIA HAS IT EVERY SPRING....WHY SHOULD I INSURE IT....I WILL BE AT A LOSS...INFACT I HAVE A STRONGER REASON THAN BAYSIDE......LOCATION IS ALSO NO MORE IMPORTANT... IF IT WAS THAN BAYSIDE ALSO SHOULD HAVE FLOODING EVERY SPRING.... HENCE ALTERNATE REASON ....CORRECT....

E) Flooding from spring surges in rivers is only one of the ways in which a home can become flooded......IN HOW MANY WAYS CAN A HOME BE FLOODED IS NOT THE ISSUE ... WHETHER IT DOES AND THE INSURER TAKES COGNIZANCE OF IT IS IMPORTANT.....

Practice makes Perfect.

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 149 [2], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
dear gmatprav.... all that "e" says is that flooding in homes can occur in a variety of ways ..... agreed ...... But where does it relate to flooding in dryadia.....does it say "it flooded in dryadia in a number of ways" ?
IT DOES'NT .... we all know that flooding can be in a number of ways....

now LOOK at " d".....The town of Dryadia has some flooding most springs...CLEAR EVIDENCE OF ALTERNATIVE...........

i hope it helps......please further read my previous comments .....

kudos if you please..............

Kudos [?]: 149 [2], given: 70

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2014, 11:07
Yes! that is what I missed! E does not connect the reason with Drydia. So D is better. Good explanation.

Kudos to you :)

semwal wrote:
dear gmatprav.... all that "e" says is that flooding in homes can occur in a variety of ways ..... agreed ...... But where does it relate to flooding in dryadia.....does it say "it flooded in dryadia in a number of ways" ?
IT DOES'NT .... we all know that flooding can be in a number of ways....

now LOOK at " d".....The town of Dryadia has some flooding most springs...CLEAR EVIDENCE OF ALTERNATIVE...........

i hope it helps......please further read my previous comments .....

kudos if you please..............

Practice makes Perfect.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 50

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 05:58
Can someone please give me an explanation why "C" is wrong

C) In many other towns in the Katonic River Valley, it is hard for home-owners to buy flood insurance.

As "C" states that home owners in many other towns situated in the valley have problems to buy insurance, while at the same time it might also be true that the physical location of these towns might not be the same as that of the Bayside. Thus this gives us another point of reasoning.....

Experts need your help....

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 50

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 07:40
BIGBULL wrote:
Can someone please give me an explanation why "C" is wrong

As "C" states that home owners in many other towns situated in the valley have problems to buy insurance, while at the same time it might also be true that the physical location of these towns might not be the same as that of the Bayside. Thus this gives us another point of reasoning.....

Experts need your help....

Because the argument only deals with the towns of Bayside and Dryadia. Other towns in the Katonic River Valley are out of scope. Buying flood insurance in these other towns may be hard for other reasons, or the location of these towns may not be like those of Bayside and Dryadia.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 22:11
This post received
KUDOS
I wrongly interpret the option B => D is correct because B talks about the homeowner, not the insurance writer.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 865

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:26
the weaken the argument, test takers should find the option that gives an alternative cause.
Here, the flood, not the similarity in location, is the reason why insurer refuses to write.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Re: Five years ago, the town of Bayside, in the Katontic River   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2017, 08:26

Five years ago, the town of Bayside, in the Katontic River

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap