It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Following several years of declining advertising sales, the

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 08:29
forgot about 'EXCEPT'. But yes, A was the obvious choice. That question would not help the evaluation.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 13:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
arshu27 wrote:

Hi,

GOing by the Official guide 12 the correct answer to this question is B not A.

As far as I know, this is a GMAT prep test question and the answer given is (A). If it is in OG12 too, kindly put up a snapshot with the solution.

I am also seeing an OG answer of B. The answer explanation from the OG says: (B) This statement provides another possible explanation for increased revenue of advertising sales, and so the answer to this question would help to clarify the reason for the increased revenue.

For A (incorrect) the OG says: this question concerns only increased revenue from advertising sales; the proportion of advertising revenue to total revenue is outside the scope of the question

I also picked A and I'm a bit confused as to why the answer is B... could you please explain?

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 136

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18108 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 22:11
nycgirl212 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
arshu27 wrote:

Hi,

GOing by the Official guide 12 the correct answer to this question is B not A.

As far as I know, this is a GMAT prep test question and the answer given is (A). If it is in OG12 too, kindly put up a snapshot with the solution.

I am also seeing an OG answer of B. The answer explanation from the OG says: (B) This statement provides another possible explanation for increased revenue of advertising sales, and so the answer to this question would help to clarify the reason for the increased revenue.

For A (incorrect) the OG says: this question concerns only increased revenue from advertising sales; the proportion of advertising revenue to total revenue is outside the scope of the question

I also picked A and I'm a bit confused as to why the answer is B... could you please explain?

As I suggested, please put up snapshot of the problem in OG. Does it have the word "EXCEPT" at the end? Is the question slightly different? Are the options exactly the same?

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 01:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 12:55
venmic wrote:
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force two years ago. Before the reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT:

A. Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Times’ total revenue was generated by advertising sales?
B. Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years?
C. Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last two years?
D. Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?
E. Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
hovv is A the right ansvver hovv does it help to evaluate vvhat is the reasoning behind it

Experts pls help

Option A would be relevant if it asked about the proportion of advertising revenues out of total revenues two years ago and this year, for instance.

However, this option is only dealing with the percentage at a concrete point in time, so we cannot derive any possible conclusion about the evolution of the different components of total revenues (i.e. advertising and non-advertising revenues, for instance).

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 33

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 20:43
EBITDA wrote:
venmic wrote:
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force two years ago. Before the reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be helpful to find out each of the following EXCEPT:

A. Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Times’ total revenue was generated by advertising sales?
B. Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years?
C. Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last two years?
D. Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?
E. Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
hovv is A the right ansvver hovv does it help to evaluate vvhat is the reasoning behind it

Experts pls help

Option A would be relevant if it asked about the proportion of advertising revenues out of total revenues two years ago and this year, for instance.

However, this option is only dealing with the percentage at a concrete point in time, so we cannot derive any possible conclusion about the evolution of the different components of total revenues (i.e. advertising and non-advertising revenues, for instance).

The answer here is (A). Check: following-several-years-of-declining-advertising-sales-the-136234.html#p1107121

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 97

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 20:43
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-73545.html

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 97

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Schools: Cambridge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 14:38
I understand the correct answer is A, but I still disagree, and would suggest E as the better answer, or at least equivalent in relevancy.. Here's my rationale.

A. Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Times's total revenue was generated by advertising sales?

Let's say before two years ago, the proportion advertising sales to total revenue was 1/100, after, it's 99/100. Bit drastic, but still valid. If I was analyzing the company as a potential investment, I would say the advertisement has had substantial effect. In other words, the question is relevant.

Does the economy really affect newspaper sales? Even in a bad economy, a few dollars a month for a newspaper subscription doesn't seem like such a big deal. The only relevance I from this option that I can determine, is that volatility increases viewership of financial news, and in periods of rapid growth (and decline), people are more interested in the news. However, that still seems like a far cry from the supposed information that A can give me.

I could be completely off, if that's the case, someone please correct me.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 11:21
Tourbillion wrote:
I understand the correct answer is A, but I still disagree, and would suggest E as the better answer, or at least equivalent in relevancy.. Here's my rationale.

A. Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Times's total revenue was generated by advertising sales?

Let's say before two years ago, the proportion advertising sales to total revenue was 1/100, after, it's 99/100. Bit drastic, but still valid. If I was analyzing the company as a potential investment, I would say the advertisement has had a substantial effect. In other words, the question is relevant.

Does the economy really affect newspaper sales? Even in a bad economy, a few dollars a month for a newspaper subscription doesn't seem like such a big deal. The only relevance I from this option that I can determine, is that volatility increases viewership of financial news, and in periods of rapid growth (and decline), people are more interested in the news. However, that still seems like a far cry from the supposed information that A can give me.

I could be completely off, if that's the case, someone please correct me.

Hi, good points. the question can catch one off guard, (A) seems relevant to the evaluation, but on closer inspection, it's irrelevant.

I think (A) is relatively irrelevant because the passage already told us that sales increased and we are more concerned about the effect of reorganization on sales, rather than revenue. It might be relevant to know the numbers 2 years ago and now, to compare. However, the passage already told us what we needed to know, i.e that sale increased.

E is still relevant as it can help deduce whether the growing economy increased the sales rather than the reorganization. Remember we are talking about advertising sales, so it is businesses rather than individuals that needed to patronize the newspaper.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 00:08
A is correct, as that information would not be sufficient because just knowing the proportion two years ago, will not give sufficient information to deduce whether the proportion is increased or not.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 11:26
I definitely understand that: A)We know there was an increase just because other divisions did better doesn’t preclude the fact that advertising did better also. However, if I am an executive at the company I would first want to know how ADV has done compared to other divisions. For instance, if total revenue went up a lot more in other divisions maybe the adv was just brought up by better economic conditions.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 23:23
IMO its A... Option C is poorly consturcted..

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 07:15
bigfernhead wrote:
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force. Before reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be most helpful to find out which of the following EXCEPT?

1) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

2) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

3) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

4) Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

5) Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

The answer is A

All other options except A somehow help to evaluate the veracity of the argument

Let us analyse option A
No we dot need proportion of the advertising sales to Total revenue because even if the revenue by advertising sales increase we can be certain that the increase was because of reorganisation.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2017, 07:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Following several years of declining advertising sales, the

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap