Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618908 [8]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618908 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: Following the best project management practices is believed to improve [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Following the best project management practices is believed to improve project success. However, even after training the entire project team on the best project management practices last month, the monthly project deliverables were late. Obviously, our project team failed to learn from training.

Which of the following,if true, would most weaken the conclusion above?

A. Effects of following the best project management practices often show up after a few months of application.
B. Projects team that have undergone the best management training often miss monthly deadlines.
C. The monthly project deliverables last month were later only by 2 days, an insignificant duration that could not really have impacted project success.
D. Although the best project management practices generally improve project success, there are exceptions.
E. The delay was because of external dependencies and the project team did not have any control over those factors.

This is a CR Butler Question

Experts' Global Video Explanation:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Re: Following the best project management practices is believed to improve [#permalink]
Kudos
wadhwakaran wrote:
Conclusion: The training did not help the employees because the project was delivered late.

To weaken the conclusion we need to prove that the reason for the delay was not the employees but something else. In that sense, the training would not have failed.

Option E

Posted from my mobile device

I eliminated E because the issue is wether the team learned the practices or not, and E is focused just in the delay of the project. So there is the possibility that even though the delay was caused by factors that the team has not control over, that they did not learn the practices. (A) focus in the possibility that the team did learn the practices
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
C. The monthly project deliverables last month were later only by 2 days, an insignificant duration that could not really have impacted project success.

I think, 'later' is a typo. It should be 'late'. That is also how it appears in the official solution.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Sorry, but there is something more that I find amiss here. The answer option (E) is as under:-

E. The delay was because of external dependencies and[b] the project team did not have any control over those factors.[/b]
I guess it is safe to assume that 'the project teams' are the ones that have undergone the training...

Whereas, in the official explanation it is worded differently, as under:-
"Delay in project deliverables is sometimes because of external dependencies that project teams have no control over."
Which project teams? Have these teams undergone the said training?

Not only is it worded differently, but also the option is eliminated in the official explanation based on the word "sometimes" which does not appear in the Question's answer choices.

I have some more queries on this Question, but I guess I 'll have to hold on till there's some clarity on this issue..

Am I missing something?
Bunuel, Pls help.
CR Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 558
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Nielgmat wrote:
Sorry, but there is something more that I find amiss here. The answer option (E) is as under:-

E. The delay was because of external dependencies and[b] the project team did not have any control over those factors.[/b]
I guess it is safe to assume that 'the project teams' are the ones that have undergone the training...

Whereas, in the official explanation it is worded differently, as under:-
"Delay in project deliverables is sometimes because of external dependencies that project teams have no control over."
Which project teams? Have these teams undergone the said training?

Not only is it worded differently, but also the option is eliminated in the official explanation based on the word "sometimes" which does not appear in the Question's answer choices.

I have some more queries on this Question, but I guess I 'll have to hold on till there's some clarity on this issue..

Am I missing something?
Bunuel, Pls help.

I am no expert, but here is my understanding of the question:
The conclusion of the argument is that the team did not learn anything from the training and the task is to weaken this argument, therefore we must find a choice that shows that maybe, in spite of the delay, the team still did learn something from the training. E does not provide that effect. It provides a reason why there might have been a delay, but when you compare it to choice A, E falls short. A clearly casts doubt on the conclusion: If the effects of the training only appear after 2 months, how can we say that, after only 1 month, that the team did not learn anything? This is a much stronger choice than E, which does not,in my opinion, impact the argument.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
sumit99kr wrote:
Since the question is about MOST WEAKEN - the answer option should include a strong, narrow, and specific reason. It should not be a general weakening statement or something that weakens only partially.

Conclusion- project team failed to learn from training.

We need to bridge the gap between learning and output. The project team could have learnt from the training but the results might take some time to show up.
Also, the argument says that it's been a month since the training was given ( "last month" ). Clearly one month might be too short a duration to expect the results.

This thought process is captured by option A. Hence, I would go with A.

This is Totally Wrong. Think this way..
The argument says that it's been a month since the training was given ( "last month" ). Clearly one month might be too short, but suppose they finished the training on January 1st and then they taking the actual project on February 28, then its last month but actually two months time. Then obviously two months is sufficient, as we don't know what does it mean by the word "FEW", whether it is one, two, three or 12 months timeline.

Therefore answer is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Think this way Bunuel
The argument says that it's been a month since the training was given ( "last month" ). Clearly one month might be too short, but suppose they finished the training on January 1st and then they taking the actual project on February 28, then its last month but actually two months time. Then obviously two months is sufficient, as we don't know what does it mean by the word "FEW", whether it is one, two, three or 12 months timeline.

Therefore answer is E
CR Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 558
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Vibhatsu wrote:
Think this way Bunuel

Therefore answer is E

The issue with your reasoning is that there is no indication that the periods are set up in the way you said, one could make the exact opposite assumption and the reasoning would not hold.

Moreover, the core of the argument is "the project team failed to learn from training". Even if they had a delay, which was not controllable, why would this show that they actually learned from training? There is no reason to believe that. It is entirely possible that there was a delay, which was caused by factors that the team could not control, and that the team did not learn from the training. Statement A undermines the assumption that the argument is making - the argument is assuming that because there was a delay, the team did not learn from the project. However, if learning from the project requires a few months time, but the project was undertaken a month later, then clearly that assumption is undermined. E only shows the nature of the delay (that it was something external) but this does not help to determine if the team learned or not. A shows that clearly, there is still a good chance that the team learned in spite of the delay.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts