Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [49]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools:Chicago b.
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [14]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
 Q48  V32
Send PM
Re: Following the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, investigato [#permalink]
IMO E too.

A,b,c are out because its not overtime that causes ..... its the practice so D,E

in D, potential for is not idiomatic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Following the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, investigato [#permalink]
Kudos
Clearly the case of resumptive modifier. hence E and D are left. D is unidiomatic. Hence E.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

There's been plenty of good discussion on this one, but just to put it all in one place, I'm stepping in. Also, lots of people mentioned concision on this one. There is not a single concision issue here. Concision is a SHOCKINGLY rare issue on the GMAT. Only fall back on it as a last resort.

300.Following the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, investigators concluded that many key people employed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and its contractors work an excessive amount of overtime that has the potential of causing errors in judgment.

(C) overtime that potentially can cause
PROBLEM: Same as above. The adverb "potentially" is okay, though the placement is incorrect. We need to place it after "can" if we don't get any commas. Consider these examples: "He is potentially the greatest boxer of all time" is better than "He potentially is the greatest boxer of all time."

-t

Hi tommy ,
Please Consider the sentence that you have given as an example.
In
1)"He is potentially the greatest boxer of all time" is better than
2)"He potentially is the greatest boxer of all time."
In sentence 1, potentially is an adverb and needs to modify a verb .There is no verb after potentially in sentence 1
In sentence 2 potentially modifies "is" verb
So how can sentence 1 be better than sentence 2?
I must be missing something.Tommy can you resolve this issue
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Munda,

I think the issue you're having is that a modifier should come before the thing it modifies, but this is actually the opposite of the case. Most modifiers come after. For example.

The man in the house. [in the house]
The man running from the law. [running from the law]
The dog, a purebred, is pretty. [a purebred]

See? In general, modifiers come AFTER the thing they modify. This isn't a hard and fast rule or anything (For example "By the time you read this, I'll be gone. [by the time you read this]", but it CERTAINLY doesn't make a sentence wrong if the adverbial modifier comes after the verb/adverb/adjective being modified.

-t
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
but Tommy what I dnt understand is that when we say overtime, is that not sufficient? Why do I have to clarify the practice? Also in C if the potentially were to be correctly placed would you pass it?

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

There's been plenty of good discussion on this one, but just to put it all in one place, I'm stepping in. Also, lots of people mentioned concision on this one. There is not a single concision issue here. Concision is a SHOCKINGLY rare issue on the GMAT. Only fall back on it as a last resort.

300.Following the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, investigators concluded that many key people employed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and its contractors work an excessive amount of overtime that has the potential of causing errors in judgment.

(A) overtime that has the potential of causing
PROBLEM: The relative pronoun "that" is opening up a modifier on "overtime" which is problematic from a meaning perspective. What the sentence wants is for the modifier to modify "an excessive amount of overtime", but right now it reads as modifying "overtime". In other words, the sentence sounds like the contracts are working an excessive amount of a SPECIFIC (essential) kind of overtime, the kind that has the potential of causing errors in judgment. This is incorrect. Also, "of" is the wrong idiom with potential.

(B) overtime that has the potential to cause
PROBLEM: Same as above, though it fixed the idiom issue.

PROBLEM: Same as above. The adverb "potentially" is okay, though the placement is incorrect. We need to place it after "can" if we don't get any commas. Consider these examples: "He is potentially the greatest boxer of all time" is better than "He potentially is the greatest boxer of all time."

(D) overtime, a practice that has the potential for causing
PROBLEM: Now we are using an appositive modifier (modifying a noun with a noun "a practice..."), which is clearer. The "practice" is the entire phrase "work(ing) an excessive amount of overtime". Unfortunately, the idiom is correct after "potential" (should be "to").

(E) overtime, a practice that can, potentially, cause
ANSWER: People don't like picking things with too many commas. BUT COMMAS ARE GREAT! Commas are not bad or wordy. They are how we separate ideas in English. The more commas, often, the better. "potentially" is modifying "can cause", and we often set off modifiers with commas on either side.

Hope that helps!

-t

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey All,

2 issues. First Mainhoon's.

The problem is that it isn't overtime on its own that is causing problems, it's the practice of WORKING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT of overtime. This is why we need to add the stuff about practice.

I was also asked a different question by PM, printed here:

With respect to the below sentences
1)"He is potentially the greatest boxer of all time" is better than
2)"He potentially is the greatest boxer of all time."

Can you please tell what is the adverb potentially modifying in sentence 1) and 2)

Really, it's modifying the same thing, but it's a question of how we say it. Consider an adjective use.

I have a green house.
I have a house green.

The second one is just wrong, because we don't write it that way. Technically, I suppose, it's still modifying the "house", but who cares? It's wrong. Sames goes with example 2 up above.

-t
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8530 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Tommy, can potentially is not redundant?
I think I have read that in Manhattan SC...
Thanks.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Noburu,

Well, I'd agree with you, but there's no better choice. Remember, any issue relating to concision/redundancy should be the ABSOLUTE LAST thing you think about on the GMAT. Those issues are always secondary to GRAMMAR and even CLARITY.

-t
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V40
GPA: 7.7
WE 1: Engineer
Send PM
Kudos
Option - E is wrong
because 'can potentially' is redundant.

Refer to Q-159, OG-10
--------------------------------------

While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for home-owners. whose equity--in many cases representing a life's savings--can plunge or even disappear.
(A) they are potentially devastating for homeowners, whose
(B) they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their
(C) for homeowners they are potentially devastating, because their
(D) for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their
(E) it can potentially devastate homeowners, whose
----
Explanation - "... can potentially is redundant in B and E. ..."
--------------------------------------

Its an OG-10 Solution.

Experts please reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Following the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, investigators concluded that many key people employed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and its contractors work an excessive amount of overtime that has the potential of causing errors in judgment.

Incorrect: "That" modifies overtime, when really "overtime" isn't what causes the error, its the act of working excessive overtime that causes it. It's a little tricky, but the modifier should be modifying the entire clause rather than just the noun. In other news, "potential for" is not the correct idiom.

Incorrect: Proper idiom usage, but again "that" modifies" overtime," which is incorrect

Incorrect: Again wrong modifier usage

Incorrect: "Potential for" is not the correct idiom

Correct: Not a great answer because the "potentially" part seems redundant, but it's the best answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Here is my thought for this.

Overtime by itself does not have potential to cause any damage. It should be used as a adverb to the verb cause. So A, B, D are straight out.

Left with C and E, again, overtime itself does not have potential, we must use a appositive modifier (a practice) so E is correct answer.

Ayrish wrote:
Following the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, investigators concluded that many key people employed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and its contractors work an excessive amount of overtime that has the potential of causing errors in judgment.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
farukqmul wrote:

Will go with E ...

A,B,C is indicating overtime itself is causing some thing ...
Between D and E ..E is best ..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Following the destruction of the space shuttle Challenger, investigato [#permalink]
What is the purpose of having potentially in option E when it is already mentioned "can, ,cause"?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
RS2747 wrote:
What is the purpose of having potentially in option E when it is already mentioned "can, ,cause"?

Hello RS2747,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "potentially" does not play a practical role in Option E; it is, in fact, redundant.

However, you must remember that redundancy is not a deal-breaker on the GMAT; an answer choice can feature redundancy and still be perfectly correct.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts