GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Following the merger of two well-known corporations, the CFO

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Following the merger of two well-known corporations, the CFO  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 01:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:14) correct 55% (01:28) wrong based on 361 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Following the merger of two well-known corporations, the CFO of the larger of the two has been charged with reporting the earnings of the employees of both companies, and however he may choose to do so, he will have to abide by relevant state tax laws.

A. however he may choose to do so
B. he may choose to do so in many ways
C. in whatever ways he is choosing to do this
D. regardless of how he chooses to do this
E. irrespective of the ways in which he is choosing to do so

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Following the merger of two well-known corporations, the CFO  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 01:59
aragonn wrote:
Following the merger of two well-known corporations, the CFO of the larger of the two has been charged with reporting the earnings of the employees of both companies, and however he may choose to do so, he will have to abide by relevant state tax laws.

+1 for A

B, D and E are changing the meaning of the sentence.

In C and D, 'this' doesn't have a antecedent.
Hence, A
B
Schools: Schulich "22 (A)
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 09:09
aragonn wrote:

The answer should be D.

The other options are either grammatically incorrect or bring about awkward breaks/sentence constructions. Regardless of the fact that he must report the earnings, he will have to abide by relevant laws. Regardless conveys the meaning correctly in this case.
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 12:30
I was debating between A and D and went for A, because of "this" in option D.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 19:06
GMATNinja IS THE OA D
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 22:43

Official Explanation

This question explores the original correct but now neglected meaning of the word “however.”

Choice (A) uses the original meaning of “however” correctly. This is problem-free.

Inside Choice (B) looks good, but it’s an independent clause, and after the comma is another independent clause. Two independent clauses need to be joined by a conjunction, not separated by only a comma—this mistake is called a “comma splice.” This choice is incorrect.

Choice (C) is wordy and awkward. The use of the present progressive is unjustified in context. This choice also uses a pronoun, “this,” to refer to the action of the previous clause: pronouns can’t refer to actions of a clause. This choice is incorrect.

Choice (D) is a little causal and it repeats the pronoun mistake in (C). This choice is incorrect.

Choice (E) is very long-winded and excessively wordy. The use of the present progressive is unjustified in context. This choice is incorrect.

Choice (A) is the only possible answer.

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 02:40
Thank you for the explanation

However, doesnt A seem awkward in conveying the meaning? usage of 'however he may choose to do so' in conjunction with 'he will have to'

For the usage 'he will have to' shouldnt that be prefixed with something such as regardless - in order to convey the meaning that, no matter which option he decides, he will still have to to abide by the state laws?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 03:21
It is really very tricky SC problem as however has two meaning.
1. Despite all things ..
2. In whatever way ...

Here we are using 2nd meaning of however.

A is correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 10:15

A. however he may choose to do so- Correct
B. he may choose to do so in many ways- Many ways is too wordy
C. in whatever ways he is choosing to do this- incorrect verb - Choosing
D. regardless of how he chooses to do this- use of the word regardless does not go with the meaning i.e. he may choose any option but he will have to abide by relevant state tax laws.
E. irrespective of the ways in which he is choosing to do so- wordy and awkward
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 11:05
Shrutisehgal I'd caution you against relying on "wordy" or "awkward" to dismiss an answer unless all else fails. The OG itself sometimes uses those terms (talk about awkward!), but the wrong answers will generally be clearly wrong in terms of grammar and/or meaning, and the right answer is sometimes the most wordy and awkward choice of the bunch!

B is wrong because it starts an independent clause ("he will do so") that connect simply have another independent clause ("he will have to abide") attached to it with a comma. The "however he may" in A fixes this by making that first clause dependent: however much X may happen, Y still must happen. (As gvij2017 has pointed out, this is a usage of "however" that not everyone may be familiar with.)

E, like C, is incorrect because of the present continuous: "he is choosing"

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 06:27
Is it ok use 'However' as conjunction? I have never seen its usage in GMAT.

DmitryFarber
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2020, 07:22
avinashiitp wrote:

DmitryFarber
Hi avinashiitp,

However is never a conjunction. In this sentence, and is what joins the two clauses.

... X has been charged with Y, and however he may choose to do so, he will have to Z

Within however he may choose to do so, he will have to Z, however is a relative adverb.
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2020, 22:30
AjiteshArun wrote:
avinashiitp wrote:

DmitryFarber
Hi avinashiitp,

However is never a conjunction. In this sentence, and is what joins the two clauses.

... X has been charged with Y, and however he may choose to do so, he will have to Z

Within however he may choose to do so, he will have to Z, however is a relative adverb.

Within however he may choose to do so, he will have to Z.

I was concerned about the underlined part, which seems to me Independent clause without any conjuction.

AjiteshArun
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2020, 00:58
avinashiitp wrote:
Within however he may choose to do so, he will have to Z.

I was concerned about the underlined part, which seems to me Independent clause without any conjuction.

AjiteshArun
Hi avinashiitp,

I should not have made my earlier reply so absolute. A better answer to your question is that some people do consider however a conjunction when it means ~"no matter how" or ~"in whatever way". Have a look at what the Cambridge Dictionary has to say about this:
1. The main UK entry "in whatever way": adverb
2. The main US entry "in whatever way": adverb
3. Entry in the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary "in whatever way": conjunction

I am not familiar with (3), but I probably should not have dismissed it entirely. However, the question you must ask yourself here is whether it would help you to think of however as a conjunction. The broader point we need to remember is that the structure in the question is possible when we use however to say that the way in which something is done doesn't matter.
Following the merger of two well-known corporations, the CFO   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2020, 00:58

Following the merger of two well-known corporations, the CFO

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics