Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [33]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [11]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [1]
Send PM
Re: For a certain pair of non zero numbers on the number line, is 0 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gvinay15 wrote:
Thanks

I over looked the question. Thought zero should be in middle of two numbers.

In this case the question would had been: is 0 halfway between the two numbers? And in this case the answer would indeed be A, because for (1) we would have a definite NO answer to the question.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Re: For a certain pair of non zero numbers on the number line, is 0 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
gvinay15 wrote:
For a certain pair of non zero numbers on the number line,is 0 between the two numbers?

(1) the sum of two non zero numbers is negative
(2) the product of two no zero numbers is negative

IMO

Please explain

Need to know if one of the numbers is positive or negative or if both have the same sign.

(1) the sum of two non zero numbers is negative
Not sufficient because both numbers could be negative or one could be negative and the other could be positive.
-7+-3= -10
7+-8=-1

(2) the product of two no zero numbers is negative
Sufficient because a negative number multiplied by a positive number is negative whereas if it were two negative numbers or two positive numbers the result would positive.

-2 * 5= -10
-2*-5= 10
2*5=10
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM
Bunuel VeritasKarishma
The OA is given as A. It should be B..
no ?
Please change the OA.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
Bunuel VeritasKarishma
The OA is given as A. It should be B..
no ?
Please change the OA.

Posted from my mobile device

Please check again. OA is given as B, not A.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
(1)
Case I: a=-2, b=1, then sum a+b=-1 and 0 IS between them
Case II: a=-2, b=-1, then sum a+b=-3, but 0 is NOT between them
Not Sufficient

(2) Either a or b has to be negative, but not both
0 MUST like between a,b
Sufficient

Answer: B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Since the numbers are non-zero, the numbers given are either positive or negative. If 0 is between the numbers, then one of them will be positive and the other will be negative. The question can therefore be rephrased as “Are the two numbers of opposite signs?”

From statement I alone, the sum of two non-zero numbers is negative.

This means that either both of the numbers are negative or one of them is positive and the other is negative with a greater absolute value than the positive one.
Therefore, 0 can be in between the two numbers or it can be on one side of the two numbers.
Statement I alone is insufficient. Answer options A and D can be eliminated.

From statement II alone, the product of the two non-zero numbers is negative.

This means that the two numbers are of opposite signs. ZERO is definitely in between the numbers then.
Statement II alone is sufficient. Answer options C and E can be eliminated.

The correct answer option is B

Hope that helps!
Aravind BT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
gvinay15 wrote:
Thanks

In this case the question would had been: is 0 halfway between the two numbers? And in this case the answer would indeed be A, because for (1) we would have a definite NO answer to the question.

Hope it helps.

Bunuel

To confirm, the use of "between" does not necessarily mean that zero has to be right beside the two numbers, correct?

Does "between" on the GMAT mean that it can be anywhere within the range as long as it is still limited by the constraints (that are defined in a given problem)?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gvinay15 wrote:
Thanks

Hope it helps.

Bunuel

To confirm, the use of "between" does not necessarily mean that zero has to be right beside the two numbers, correct?

Does "between" on the GMAT mean that it can be anywhere within the range as long as it is still limited by the constraints (that are defined in a given problem)?

Yes. For example, x is between 2 and 8 means that x can be any number between 2 and 8: 2.1, \(\pi\), \(\sqrt{11}\), 4, 5, 6.77, ...
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts