It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [3], given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User
For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 21:27
3
This post received
KUDOS
35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (00:47) correct 66% (00:58) wrong based on 828 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

A. For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

B. Considering all their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people, with 32 million unique viewers alone in the United States every month.

C. With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

D. Given all their financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people, nearly 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

E. Even considering their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 05 Sep 2017, 07:44, edited 3 times in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 53 [3], given: 31

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 276

Kudos [?]: 369 [4], given: 51

Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 21:52
4
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month . -->For is required to show the reason.Subject and verb agreement is proper.

Considering all their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people, with 32 million unique viewers alone in the United States every month.--> Subject verb agreement error

With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.---> changes the meaning .Placement of never is wrong.

Given all their financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people, nearly 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.--> Subject verb agreement error

Even considering their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.--> Subject verb agreement error
_________________

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 369 [4], given: 51

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 48

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 30

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 23:54
Please explain why Option C is incorrect:

With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.
_________________

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 30

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4273

Kudos [?]: 7616 [4], given: 360

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 23:59
4
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First, let’s get rid of the ungrammatical fluff; Choices B, D and E are out because of SV mismatch. Between A and C, the reversed sentence in A is more appropriate because it brings the contrast well by saying ‘for all its financial troubles’, meaning in spite of its financial troubles. Because of reversal, the modification may seem somewhat out of track, but that is a style of writing. C on the contrary by toeing the same direction rather than attempting to espouse the contrast, is an inferior expression, since, with carries a notion of physical carrying
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509


Last edited by daagh on 28 Oct 2016, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7616 [4], given: 360

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 156

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 67

Location: Poland
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2013, 04:51
saikarthikreddy wrote:
A For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month . -->For is required to show the reason.Subject and verb agreement is proper.


Does it mean that so many people read the Wall Street Journal because it has financial troubles?

saikarthikreddy wrote:
C With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.---> changes the meaning .Placement of never is wrong.


Why you say placement of "never" is wrong?
"With" is used here in the meaning of "despite". The only bad thing about this sentence is it does differ in meaning from the original A.
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 67

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 514

Kudos [?]: 945 [4], given: 630

Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2013, 10:45
4
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is the official explanation from Veritas

Answer A - Verb inversion (when the verb is put before the subject) is a common trick used by testmakers to make sentences confusing. In this example there is a good reason to invert the verb: “Never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people”conveys clearly that at no point in the past has it been read more. If you write “The Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people” it could mean the there is a new record for the number of people who have never read it!!!

(A) is thus correct – it starts with a structure “For all its financial troubles…” and follows with the inverted structure to show that even though there are financial problems, lots of people are reading it. (B), (D), and (E) are incorrect because the plural pronoun “their” has no logical antecedent.

(C) is more difficult to eliminate but contains two distinct errors. first, it does not invert the verb and thus suffers from the meaning ambiguity discussed previously. Secondly, there is not the necessary contrast in the beginning. It would need to say “Even with the financial problems…lots of people are reading it” Using “with” suggests that people are reading it because of the financial troubles. Answer is (A).

Kudos [?]: 945 [4], given: 630

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2014
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 12:50
Could you help me on this one as I have troubles interstanding the "for all" meaning : I thought it indicated the "cause" (because of, given...) but here it indicates the contraction (despite..)
Could you tell me if this is something usual/Right and what are the different meanings of "for" ?
Thank you

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2014
Posts: 117

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 475

Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 01:16
chetan2u , souvik101990 Can u plz help out to distinguish between A & C ?
My understanding is that in 'C' 'With all its financial troubles' means the Wall Street Journal is read alongwith its financial trouble. This is in contrast to the original intended meaning of the sentence. I fail to see how 'with.. troubles' is showing contrast.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 475

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2013
Posts: 50

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 5

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 02:11
Option A: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month - shows the contrast - For all it financial trouble means 'in spite of all its financial trouble'. This shows a contrast i.e. although WSJ had financial trouble, it was read by many...

Option C: With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month - This option does not show a contrast. 'With its trouble, WSJ was read by many people' changes the intended meaning of the sentence.

So, A should be correct!
_________________

Best Regards!

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 4912

Kudos [?]: 5248 [1], given: 112

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 06:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sytabish wrote:
chetan2u , souvik101990 Can u plz help out to distinguish between A & C ?
My understanding is that in 'C' 'With all its financial troubles' means the Wall Street Journal is read alongwith its financial trouble. This is in contrast to the original intended meaning of the sentence. I fail to see how 'with.. troubles' is showing contrast.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks!


hi styabish,
with the choices available, i too would go for A....
you are correct that 'with...' clause is not showing contrast and means exactly what you have mentioned and that is the reason why A should be the answer, although apart from meaning, part C is correct that the "with..." correctly modifies the wall street journal and in A, we have to make a link deliberately between 'its' in first dependent clause and TWSJ since the sentence is ...
Option A: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month..... never has separates TWSJ from comma...
reason is in A, there is nothing else the possessive 'its ' can refer to....
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5248 [1], given: 112

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 798

Kudos [?]: 822 [2], given: 5

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 15:04
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The pronoun issue here is one that would likely not be tested on the GMAT because in some areas of the world WSJ could correctly take "their" as a pronoun. The GMAC has stated they will try to stay away from issues like this...

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Kudos [?]: 822 [2], given: 5

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10170

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 04:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 924

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 13:16
I am still not clear as to what exactly is incorrect with option C.

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 79

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 202

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 508

Location: India
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 13:50
shouldnt 'for all its financial troubles' modify WJS? if yes then how is the primary clause starting with 'never has been the wsj.....'???? shoudnt the primary clause begin with WSJ because 'for its financial troubles' is a noun modifier and should be place next to the subject?? experts please clarify this!

thanks,
jon

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 508

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2016
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 11:03
KyleWiddison wrote:
The pronoun issue here is one that would likely not be tested on the GMAT because in some areas of the world WSJ could correctly take "their" as a pronoun. The GMAC has stated they will try to stay away from issues like this...

KW


But single noun should refer to single pronoun. This is a valid reason to eliminate B,D and E.
I do not understand why A is correct??
_________________

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2016
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 11:06
daagh wrote:
First, let’s get rid of the ungrammatical fluff; Choices B, D and E are out because of SV mismatch. Between A and C, the reversed sentence in A is more out appropriate because it brings the contrast well by saying ‘for all its financial troubles’, meaning in spite of its financial troubles. Because of reversal, the modification may seem somewhat out of track, but that is a style of writing. C on the contrary by toeing the same direction rather than attempting to espouse the contrast, is an inferior expression, since, with carries a notion of physical carrying


"For all its financial troubles" is not a modifier??

I eliminated A because it should modify the noun closed to it. Hence "Wall Street Journal" should be place after the "For all its financial troubles"
_________________

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2016
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 12:22
KyleWiddison daagh : Can anyone answer my post??
I did not understand why A is correct??? I selected option C...What is wrong in C??
_________________

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Posts: 55

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 49

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Other (Computer Software)
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 06:29
A is the correct answer

The argument is trying to say that

- The wall street journal has been read by millions of readers in US alone because of the financial troubles brewing in the team of journal.

The wallst. is singular so, all options with plural verbs are out.

Last edited by Spovil on 27 Oct 2016, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 49

CEO
CEO
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2589

Kudos [?]: 380 [0], given: 177

Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 08:10
akashaggarwal88 wrote:
For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month .

For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

Considering all their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people, with 32 million unique viewers alone in the United States every month.

With all its financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

Given all their financial troubles, never has the Wall Street Journal been read by more people, nearly 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.

Even considering their financial troubles, the Wall Street Journal has never been read by more people: 32 million unique viewers online in the United States alone every month.


it is clearly between A and C.
I went with A because of the opening modifier.
With all its financial troubles - changes the meaning

Kudos [?]: 380 [0], given: 177

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2016
Posts: 40

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 23:36
Spovil wrote:
A is the correct answer

The argument is trying to say that

- The wall street journal has been read by millions of readers in US alone because of the financial troubles brewing in the team of journal.

The wallst. is singular so, all options with plural verbs are out.


Yeah, we can eliminate B,D and E because pronoun issue as "their" is plural and wall street is singular.
But i do not understand how you would eliminate A?
_________________

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 23

Re: For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2016, 23:36

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

For all its financial troubles, never has the Wall Street

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.