GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

For all their significant differences, these philosophers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: For all their significant differences, these philosophers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 08:04
Hi.. I think In states governed by consent of the governed imply that the author is talking about democracy in the first paragraph.
And thats how we can deduce the answer

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 13:10
goforgmat wrote:
Hi Mike,

I am still not able to deduce the answer through the passage given. We will need to bring outside knowledge to deduce this based on your explanation above. Please let me know if i have understood it otherwise.

Dear goforgmat

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I have a few things to say. First of all, if you look carefully, there's not a single statement I made in the explanation that isn't somehow supported by the text, although it's true that I paraphrased in many instances. This is a rich deep passage, dense with information, so there is a great deal to understand about it. Even for a native speaker, there is a lot to understand about this paragraph. For a non-native speakers, the challenges are that much greater.

I will also say that many GMAT students have misunderstandings about this idea of "outside knowledge." It's absolutely true that you don't need to have specific expertise in the particular topics that CR prompts or RC passages discuss--to understand this passage, it is not necessary that you have, for example, read the writings of Hobbes and Locke and Marx and can give details synopses of their positions. Yes, you don't need to have specific and detailed knowledge, but many GMAT students misunderstand this to mean that all outside knowledge is irrelevant. This is WRONG.

See: GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge

You need to understand basic facts about the world. You need to understand basic facts about economics, including economic history. You need to have some rough idea, say, of what communism is and know that Karl Marx is associated with communism. You need to know that for most of the second half of the twentieth century, the world was in the grip of a Cold War between the United States + Western Europe (capitalist) vs. the Soviet Union (communist). You need to understand that the US and Western Europe traditionally have been the advocates of liberty and personal freedom, that communism was understood as a totalitarian system opposed to individual liberty, and even today, the radical Moslem forces such as ISIL are seen as opposing the western understanding of freedom. For example, after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, one of the (lame) explanations given in the US for these attacks was "They hate us for our freedom." You need to understand the major political and economic forces over the past century, and have this a general framework, so that when you encounter any specific RC passage or CR prompt about a specific issue, you can understand it in terms of this larger narrative of history.

You are taking the GMAT to get an MBA. Once you get an MBA, you will get a job working the global economy. You need to understand the world in which you will be doing business--and the GMAT holds you responsible for that.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 07:13
Got 4/4 correct in 11 min including 5:30 min to read the passage!

Passage Map:
1) PT. Ideal vs Actual
2) WT
3) L increase, S decrease
4) WL, Gap, Recommendation (Main Idea)

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: For all their significant differences, these philosophers &nbs [#permalink] 01 Nov 2018, 07:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

For all their significant differences, these philosophers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap