It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For any integer p, *p is equal to the product of all the int

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: For any integer p, *p is equal to the product of all the int [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 04:48
Using the rule => multiple + multiple = multiple
we can say that 7!+4,7!+5,7!+6 are all non primes.
hence A

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

Stone Cold's Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.06
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 00:57
gmatpapa wrote:
Baten80 wrote:
7!+3 to 7!+4
so 5043 to 5047 [5043, 5044, 5045, 5046 and 5047]
there is no prime numbers.
Ans. A
What others easy way?

The quick way is to realize that if a factor(or any of its multiples) is added to a multiple of that factor, the result will be divisible by that factor. For example: 3 is a factor of 9. If 3 is added to 9, the result will be divisible by 3. Is 5 is added to 25, the result will be divisible by 5.

Coming to the problem. You see, 7! will be divisible by all numbers from 1 through 7. In other words, all integers from 1 to 7 are factors of 7! So, if any number between 1 to 7 is added to 7!, the result will be divisible by the number that is added (if 3 is added to 7!, result will be divisible by 3. If four is added, the result will be divisible by 4 and so on..) Essentially, the numbers between 7!+3 and 7!+7, inclusive will be: 7!+3, 7!+4, 7!+5, 7!+6, 7!+7. All these numbers will be divisible by one or the other number between 3 to 7, hence making all of them non-prime.

Answer A.

Great Explanation!

let me add it up of my own explanation...

so the list is
(7!+3), (7!+ 4), (7! + 5), (7! + 6), (7! + 7)

Notice that 7! = 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 (there is 5 and 2 in there so the Unit Digit must be 0)

is one of (7!+ 4), (7! + 5), (7! + 6) a prime number ?

just focus on the unit digit ! a prime number is a number that is divisible only by 1 and its own number,

unit digit of (7!+ 4) is 4 (since unit digit of 7! is 0), so therefore it is divisible by 2 (because it is even) = NOT A PRIME NUMBER
unit digit of (7! + 5) is 5, so therefore it is divisible by 5 = NOT A PRIME NUMBER
unit digit of (7! + 6) is 6, so therefore it is divisible by 2 (because it is even) = NOT A PRIME NUMBER

There you have it !
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 05:17
gmatpapa wrote:
For any integer p, *p is equal to the product of all the integers between 1 and p, inclusive. How many prime numbers are there between *7 + 3 and *7 + 7, inclusive?

(A) None
(B) One
(C) Two
(D) Three
(E) Four

Here is how I did it.

If we interpret *p to be multiple of all prime numbers instead of all numbers, it might be a touch easy.

*7 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3 * 5 * 7 + 3 = 213
*7 + 7 = 1 * 2 * 3 * 5 * 7 + 7 = 217

214, 215 and 216 as we know are not prime.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 23:37
Hello Bunuel,

The "Similar problems" links are of great help. Is there any place where I can find a problem of a certain type and then similar problems so that I can practice all variations of that concept/problem type?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 04:57
makshinde wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

The "Similar problems" links are of great help. Is there any place where I can find a problem of a certain type and then similar problems so that I can practice all variations of that concept/problem type?

You can check categorised questions in our questions bank: https://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: For any integer p, *p is equal to the product of all the int   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2017, 04:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

For any integer p, *p is equal to the product of all the int

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap