Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Re: For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima [#permalink]
hi guys. in this sentence:
"....animal-hide shields with wooden frames [url]were[/url] essential items of military equipment, protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears."
we do not have action verb in preceding sentence (we have a "were". no action happen in this case , why we must use participle (-ing)???? I thought we use it just for causality relation or result of action ! I Choose E but wrong .
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
09173140521 The -ing modifier is actually quite versatile and can modify the preceding action in many different ways. In this case, the modifier clarifies in what way the shields were essential.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Pls explain what is the role of phrase "For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa". Is it a noun modifier modifying the nearest noun "animal hide shields".
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nannunanni007 The initial modifier is an adverbial modifier that modifies the main clause: "Shields were essential items." So we can read it as "Shields were essential items of equipment for members of the Ashanti nation."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi DmitryFarber
Can you explain it in detail How Prepositional Phrase "For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa" is acting as adverbial modifier.
From your suggest alternate formation of sentence "Shields were essential items of equipment for members of the Ashanti nation.", it appears that the prepositional phrase it modifying the object "essential items".

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
One more doubt DmitryFarber

I am referring Manhattan SC 4th edition for sentence correction. In modifiers chapter it is given that - Preposition + Simple Gerund is a verb modifier.
Ex. I lifted the weight by concentrating.
This modifier applies to both the verb and the verb's subject.
"by concentrating" is modifying the verb "lifted" and subject of verb makes sense with modifier - I was concentrating.

But I am unable to apply the above in ex - Mother keeps children from watching television .
"from watching television" is modifying the verb "keeps", but it does not make sense with subject "Mother".

Please explain.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nannunanni007 Unfortunately, we can rarely apply simple rules to grammar, especially in the case of modifiers. One could write a whole book on all the ways that adverbial modifiers can interact with other elements of a sentence. So if we see one case ("by concentrating"), we can't simply use that as the criterion for evaluating other cases. The fact is that in your second sentence, "from watching television" is an adverbial modifier. What else could it be? It can't be a noun modifier, or we'd be saying that the children are from a place called "watching television."

It may help to point out that when we use a noun modifier, it is modifying only the noun, and this modifier should make sense even in the absence of any action the sentence describes. So if "For members . . . " were a noun modifier, this would mean that the shields themselves were "for" members of the tribe. This doesn't have a clear meaning, and in fact I can't think of an example of an initial noun modifier beginning with "for." However, adverbial modifiers of this type are common:

For all I know, he is out of the country by now.
For many music fans, live concerts are more exciting than listening to music at home.
For a long time, I went to bed early.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

(A) a method to protect
(B) as a method protecting
(C) protecting
(D) as a protection of
(E) to protect

Considering the introductory prepositional modifier as a noun modifier modifying 'essential items' will land in a grave modification error, as a genuine noun modifier will always have to start with the modified noun
immediately after the comma. Therefore, it cannot modify the distant "essential items"

At least one may argue that animal -hide shields could fit in as the modified noun. However, per se, the meaning becomes incomplete unless one can explain why they were essential items. That is the reason it becomes necessary to add the action of 'protecting'. It therefore becomes clear that the introductory modifier in this case can only be adverbial and not adjectival.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
DmitryFarber GMATNinjaTwo, MikeScarn, GMATNinja, hazelnut, generis, egmat

Hi - I have gone through the forum discussion on choices C and E. I still have a few doubts. Can you please clarify.

1) My understanding of a comma + verb-ing modifier is that it modifies the preceding clause in 2 ways - a) by showing the how aspect b) by showing the result of the action. However, in this question, I am unable to understand how option C is fitting in (keeping in mind the 2 ways talked bwout earlier)

Option C reads - For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

2) For option E, a lot of the responses said that to protect cant be preceded by a comma. Is it a rule? It doesnt seem like it because in this thread, there are some correct OG sentences that have used to + verb after a comma. Is there another reason to reject this? I am also not clear on whether this sentence can use the to + verb format here because I dont think it menas to show intention.

Option E reads - For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears

In case, the sentence is written to show intention then would option E be correct if the comma wasnt there? The sentence would read - For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

Lastly, would we have 2 options present such as Option C and revised option E in the answer choices.

Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
kanikab ,

I am afraid you may be trying to get too technical with grammar rules.

Our structure is: Prepositional Phrase, Independent clause, underlined portion.

If you choose (C), you create a verb+ing modifier phrase that modifies "animal-hide shields." This makes logical sense.

If you choose (E), you create an infinitive verb phrase. I eliminated this answer choice due to the sentence construction.

I would say you're on the right track about if we did not use a comma in (E), but it still wouldn't be a very clean sentence.
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kanikab

1) As I stated above, there are actually many possible uses of an adverbial modifier such as ", protecting." We're certainly not limited to the two options you mentioned. However, we actually could see this as the HOW case, in that this protection shows HOW the shield were essential.

2) It's hard to create any general rule like "no comma before an infinitive." Nevertheless, here the comma doesn't make sense. It's not clear what the infinitive would be meant to connect or what that would mean. Your adjusted version (no comma) makes the intent a bit clearer, but "essential to protect" still doesn't work.

Normally, we'd say that an item is essential FOR something. We can use "essential to" followed by a noun, but then the "to" doesn't form an infinitive--it's just a preposition. "To X" simply modifies the preceding noun. Finally, we can use the infinitive "to protect," but only with the placeholder expression "It is essential" beforehand. "It is essential to do X" means the same as "To do X is essential."

An intuitive grasp of scales is essential for playing lead guitar.
An intuitive grasp of scales is essential to the mastery of lead guitar. ("to the mastery" is a prepositional modifier)
To master lead guitar, it is essential to achieve an intuitive grasp of scales. ("to achieve" is an infinitive that fills in our subject. It is what is essential.)

Finally, if we did have two valid answers, we wouldn't have a proper SC question. The four wrong answers are wrong!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos