Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1004 [193]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [103]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [31]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [7]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
shoonya wrote:
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

(A) a method to protect
(B) as a method protecting
(C) protecting
(D) as a protection of
(E) to protect

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that for members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment that protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Verb Forms + Grammatical Construction

• In the “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• The infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" – “to + protect” in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose or intent of an action.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses “a method to protect” to modify “items of military equipment”, illogically implying that the military equipment was a method for protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the military equipment itself protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears; remember, in the “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses “as a method protecting” to modify “items of military equipment”, illogically implying that the military equipment was a method for protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the military equipment itself protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears; remember, in the “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

C: Correct. The sentence formed by this answer choice correctly uses the phrase “protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears” to "items of military equipment”, conveying the intended meaning of the sentence- that for members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment that protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses “as a protection of” to modify “items of military equipment”, leading to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning of this sentence is that for members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment that protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears; remember, in the “noun + comma + phrase” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

E: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “to protect”; the use of the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" – “to + protect” in this sentence) modifies the verb “were”, illogically implying that the animal-hide shields were essential items of military equipment for the purpose of protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears; the intended meaning is that the animal-hide shields were essential items of military equipment that protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears; please remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" – “to + protect” in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose or intent of an action.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [3]
Send PM
Re: For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The sentence has modifier issue

(A) a method to protect (“military equipment” cannot modify “a method” – Eliminate it)

(B) as a method protecting (“military equipment” cannot modify “as a method” – Eliminate it)

(C) protecting (“military equipment” can modify “protecting” – Hold it)

(D) as a protection of (“military equipment” cannot modify “as a protection” – Eliminate it)

(E) to protect (“military equipment” cannot modify “to protect” – Eliminate it)

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

A. a method to protect
Shields are not methods....kung fu is a method :D
B. as a method protecting
Shields are not methods....kung fu is a method :D
C. protecting
they do not protect them now....it was in the 17th century.
D. as a protection of
Awkward use
E. to protect
Correct

lol...I got this correct earlier on...and forgot about my fundamentls...damn....here's the reasoing from my previous post...

"Honestly it took me more than a minute to answer this. Here's my reasoning

I chose C

D was the first option that i eliminated as

, as a protection of what?? warriors ??....well we never say as a protection of who...do we?? .....nonetheless both are not idiomatic...

A and B were out because weapons are forms of self - defense and not ways/methods of self-defense. We can say Karate is method but do we say knife/gun is a method??....errrr no...

I got stuck with E, cause 'to protect someone' is grammatically correct , such as 'I want you to protect him', but the issue now comes down to modifiers. So in our previous example we would not go about writing 'I want you, to protect him' but the usage of 'x, protecting him' where protecting modifies x is the right usage. Trust me the ',' makes the difference here.... "

Its C guys!!!

Originally posted by Ashwin_Mohan on 15 Jul 2008, 11:09.
Last edited by Ashwin_Mohan on 15 Jul 2008, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
To confirm:

so the participial phrase (protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears) in our case modifies the independent clause (its subject) (animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment) and not the noun (military equipment). Is that correct?

-> Would the following structure be incorrect then?
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment that protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears

What do you guys think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q37  V27
Send PM
Hi, could anyone please explain what participle phrases/clauses mean? I am not at all clear on that concept. It'll be great if anyone could help on this. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [3]
Given Kudos: 315
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 570  Q44  V25 GMAT 3: 590  Q48  V23
WE 1: 5.0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shoonya wrote:
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

A) a method to protect
B) as a method protecting
C) protecting
D) as a protection of
E) to protect

Guys, I need to know why the wrong choices are really wrong. Could you please explain your reasons of eliminating an answer choice in this case? I mean all the wrong choices.

I appreciate your inputs.

thanks

C, The sentence test word choice.
"animal-hide shields" is not a method => eliminate A,B
(D)" as a protection of" is wordy unessarilly
(E):"to protect" we are not talking about the purpose so to-inf is not appropriate here.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
prasforgmat wrote:
Is it universal rule that infinitives (to) cannot come just after comma?

No. There are certainly possibilities where this can be done.
"For lizards, organisms that inhabit the earth, to [X] is to [Y]."
"For lizards, organisms that inhabit the earth, to [die] is to [leave your remains for the rest of the ecosystem]."

In this example "to" is right after a comma.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [9]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q45  V47
Send PM
Kudos