Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [48]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [37]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2100 [1]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to ris [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The issue with A, B and E is that these options can very well modify price of automobile insurance. So, essentially, A, B and E could as well be suggesting that the price of automobile insurance is free of damage claims and moving violations. If this is not entirely evident, consider the following equivalent sentence:

Price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even when the interest rate is high.

Now it will be clear that even when the interest rate is high is modifying Price of automobile insurance. Ditto with A, B and E.

However, the intention of the sentence is clearly to state that consumers are free of damage claims and moving violations. Hence, they is needed; since they is plural, the only noun it can modify is (most) consumers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1488 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to ris [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks a lot for the response mike.. Just 1 more question to get my thought together.
We say the THEY is not ambiguous because its agreeing in number with the only plural noun.
What if I tweaked the sentence to read
For most consumers, the prices of automobile insurance continue to rise annually, even if they are free of damage claims and moving violations.

In the sentence above is they ambiguous? since it could refer to consumers or prices?
would the right constrution be acheived by replacing the they with the noun consumers - ... continue to rise..,even if the consumers are free..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the response mike.. Just 1 more question to get my thought together.
We say the THEY is not ambiguous because its agreeing in number with the only plural noun.
What if I tweaked the sentence to read
For most consumers, the prices of automobile insurance continue to rise annually, even if they are free of damage claims and moving violations.

In the sentence above is they ambiguous? since it could refer to consumers or prices?
would the right constrution be acheived by replacing the they with the noun consumers - ... continue to rise..,even if the consumers are free..

Great question. Yes, if there were more than one plural noun, the sentence would be ambiguous, especially if a plural noun not intended as the antecedent were the subject of the main verb, as occurs in: "For most consumers, the prices of automobile insurance continue to rise annually, even if they are free of damage claims and moving violations." If that were the case, then we would have to replace the pronoun "they" with the noun "consumers", but that, in turn, makes the beginning prepositional phrase absolutely superfluous. Thus, the corrected sentence would be:

The prices of automobile insurance continue to rise annually, even if consumers are free of damage claims and moving violations.

or

The prices of automobile insurance continue to rise annually, even for consumers free of damage claims and moving violations.

Does that make sense? Please let me know if I can clarify anything else about this.

Mike :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
chihao wrote:
For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even if free of damage claims and moving violations.

(A) even if [who/what?]
(B) despite being [who/what?]
(C) even if they are
(D) although they may be
(E) even if remaining [who/what?]

Correct answer: C

A: Incorrect. "Even if" does not clearly attribute who is free of damage claims and moving violations. Given the appositive in the middle of the sentence, the sentence requires the pronoun "they" to clarify that the consumers are free of damage claims and moving violations, rather than the price of automobile insurance.
B: Incorrect. (B) is incorrect for the same ambiguity as (A) is, with the added complication of the problematic modifier "being." Further, "despite" changes the meaning slightly from what is implied by "even if."
C: Correct
D: Incorrect. "Although" changes the meaning of the sentence slightly, making the conditional construction ("even if") a negation ("although"). (D) also includes the awkward "may be" phrasing.
E: Incorrect. (E) is incorrect for the same reasons as (A) and (B) in that it creates ambiguity as to who/what is "remaining" free of damage claims and moving violations.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts