GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For over 300 years, one of the most enduring beliefs among

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For over 300 years, one of the most enduring beliefs among  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 14:01
Hi Expert,

Request your help specifically for question 2; 3 & 4.

-> how to approach these kind of questions - i generally look for occurrences of either the idea OR the keyword mentioned in the question to pin down where to look for the answers. In some of these questions this approach does not help and I am forced to look for references of say 18th and 19th centuries in multiple paras. This easts up a lot of time.

-> I am not convinced with the answers of these questions; my answer to 2/3/4 was A/C/C. I would appreciate you help in clarifying the answers as well as towards helping me understand the trap I have fallen into.

Cheers,
Dhruva
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 13:43
Here are my 2 cents for question 5.

On analyzing the structure of the passage we can see that:

The first paragraph talks about the traditional historians view that states that the english society is shaped by the openness of its ruling elite.
The second pragraph questions this view. and points out that the credibility of the traditional view is questionable.
and the final paragraph begins to suggest that if stone's theory is true then ruling elite was not very open.

in essence the author is conveying that the assumptions about openness of ruling elite cannot be used with gurantee to explain the shaping of english society, by attacking the validity of the assumptions that the elite were open.

This is best summarized in option A.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 05:32
narmadadhruv wrote:
Hi Expert,

Request your help specifically for question 2; 3 & 4.

-> how to approach these kind of questions - i generally look for occurrences of either the idea OR the keyword mentioned in the question to pin down where to look for the answers. In some of these questions this approach does not help and I am forced to look for references of say 18th and 19th centuries in multiple paras. This easts up a lot of time.

-> I am not convinced with the answers of these questions; my answer to 2/3/4 was A/C/C. I would appreciate you help in clarifying the answers as well as towards helping me understand the trap I have fallen into.

Cheers,
Dhruva

Q.2 The passage states, "....the unique openness of its ruling elite to entry by self-made entrepreneurs (especially newly wealthy merchants) able to buy their way into the ranks of elite society... ". This part implies that SOME of the elite posts were allocated to business enterpreneurs, but option A wrongly indicates that ALL of the posts were allocated ("..were generally closed to most business entrepreneurs.."). Hence option A is wrong.

The part "..to explain England’s exceptional stability since the late seventeenth century (no revolutions, for example),.." indicates that the elite were able to maitain their power unchallenged. Hence D is correct.

Q.3 I do not agree with OA. It is not mentioned in the passage how the open elite was developed. The passage only indicates the results of the same.

Q.4 The part "...and proceeded via the ingenious route of .." indicates that the author considers Stone's approach ingenious, which means "characterized by cleverness or originality". Hence Option E is correct.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 19:35
Hi All,

Can someone please explain the answer for question number 2.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 20:44
2. The author suggests that which of the following was true of most European elites during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries?
(A) The ranks of these elites were generally closed to most business entrepreneurs.
(B) The elites generally dominated industrial development.
(C) Status within these elites was generally determined by the amount of land owned.
(D) These elites generally were able to maintain their power unchallenged.
(E) The power of these elites generally forestalled the development of a large class of self-made entrepreneurs.
D can be inferred from para 1 "allowed England to escape the clash between those with social/political power and those with economic power, a conflict that beset the rest of Europe during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries" this was a tricky question.. it took me 3 mins to go for D. I selected E first but that is never mentioned in or inferred from the passage.

This question is asking about most of the European elites and not just about the elites from England.Hence in para1 line 9 to 11 "a conflict that beset the rest of Europe during eighteenth and nineteenth century" -- Hence the correct answer should be option E
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 23:39
3. Traditional historians of England, as they are described in the passage, would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements regarding open elites?
(A) They develop more easily in agricultural rather than industrial societies.
(B) They develop in response to particular sets of economic conditions.
(C) They tend to unite some of the powerful groups in a society.
(D) They tend to reduce class distinctions based on income in a society.
(E) They tend to insure adequate distribution of material goods in a society.

I chose C but apparently the OA is B and i am not convinced with OA.

"This upward mobility, historians have argued, allowed England to escape the clash between those with social/political power and those with economic power, a conflict that beset the rest of Europe during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries."

These lines from para 1 indicate that social/political powerful groups did not clash with economic power group. So in a way they were united. So I don't understand how OA is B and not C

Please experts kindly reply.
Re: For over 300 years, one of the most enduring beliefs among &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jul 2018, 23:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

For over 300 years, one of the most enduring beliefs among

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap