It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 14:33
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
stoy4o wrote:
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

1. Please, explain your reasoning.
2. Is it proper to say "a movement was launched" in the absence of a subject/noun/person or still use "a movement launched"?

Source:Veritas quiz bank

Responding to a pm:

The thing that puts me off (A) is the use of 'and' to join two sentences which are different thoughts (though related). C improves it a whole lot with the use of the semi colon. It separates the sentences.

As for your question, 'which' does refer to the book. It's acceptable to say that the book/article/paper argues ..., (e.g. the idea could be that the particular written material presents an idea against an accepted notion)

c) launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

in the correct answer, how can it refer back to nature? can it refer to something in quotes? I thought GMAT does not allow a pronoun to refer to a possessive. Please clarify. Thanks

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17324 [1], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 00:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sruwan wrote:
c) launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

in the correct answer, how can it refer back to nature? can it refer to something in quotes? I thought GMAT does not allow a pronoun to refer to a possessive. Please clarify. Thanks

"it" refers to "nature's beauty". The noun is "beauty".

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 12:40
shanmugamgsn wrote:
launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

Guys why not D...

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

Both C and D seems similar...
Even D is more clear in expressing meaning....

In C, how can a pronoun "he" in independent clause refers back to Emerson ????

D is not correct because the 'contemporary American environmental movement' did not launch 'Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring'. A movement does not launch a book. Instead, a book launches a movement.

In the first part of the sentence, we are talking about 'Ralph Waldo Emerson'. 'he' is naturally referring to him.

Take another example:
I love my brother; he is witty and caring.

Who does 'he' refer to here? Obviously, it refers to 'my brother'.

I still dont buy this totally. If I change your example to I love my brother Jack while Jack loves James; he is really witty. Now who does he here refer to? my brother Jack or James?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 12:54
A. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

C. launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

The bold portions make C a better answer than A.

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
150688abhi wrote:
shanmugamgsn wrote:

Guys why not D...

Both C and D seems similar...
Even D is more clear in expressing meaning....

In C, how can a pronoun "he" in independent clause refers back to Emerson ????

D is not correct because the 'contemporary American environmental movement' did not launch 'Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring'. A movement does not launch a book. Instead, a book launches a movement.

In the first part of the sentence, we are talking about 'Ralph Waldo Emerson'. 'he' is naturally referring to him.

Take another example:
I love my brother; he is witty and caring.

Who does 'he' refer to here? Obviously, it refers to 'my brother'.

I still dont buy this totally. If I change your example to I love my brother Jack while Jack loves James; he is really witty. Now who does he here refer to? my brother Jack or James?

Note that in the original sentence, there is no ambiguity (unlike the example you have given). If "he" doesn't refer to Emerson, who does it refer to? There is no other possible person since Rachel Carson (a feminine name) is anyway used in possessive case only. Hence, it is quite clear that "he" refers to Emerson.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 04:43
daagh sayantanc2k

isn't option C incorrect?

Reason: The essay does not argue. The author of the essay does.

I guess there was a similar question regarding a certain thesis as the first lecture in which we agree upon the fact that the lecturer declares, the thesis does not.

Please please help!

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3278 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 11:33
hdwnkr wrote:
daagh sayantanc2k

isn't option C incorrect?

Reason: The essay does not argue. The author of the essay does.

I guess there was a similar question regarding a certain thesis as the first lecture in which we agree upon the fact that the lecturer declares, the thesis does not.

Please please help!

I remember that I saw in an OG one question in which "investigations prove" was in the correct choice.
(I could not find it out now, but if I come across it, I shall send to you.)

Kudos [?]: 3278 [0], given: 22

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 20:42
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In 1850, Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

(A) arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
(B) arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
(C) a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights
(D) a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights
(E) a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women

The above is an OG 12 question. The correct answer is E. It says that a treatise argued.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 21:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am referring to this one.

Originally delivered as the first William James Lecture at Harvard, in 1932, John Dewey in his major writing on aesthetics, Art as Experience, declares that through an expressive art, the artists and the audience commune together, an encounter that reminds man and mankind of their responsibilities towards each other

(A) Originally delivered as the first William James Lecture at Harvard, in 1932, John Dewey in his major writing on aesthetics, Art as Experience, declares that through an expressive art, the artists and the audience commune together, an encounter that reminds

(B) Originally delivered as the first William James Lecture at Harvard in 1932, Art as Experience, John Dewey’s major writing on aesthetics declares that through an expressive art, the artists and the audience commune together, an encounter that reminds

(C) Originally delivering Art as Experience as the first William James Lecture at Harvard in 1932, John Dewey in his major writing on aesthetics declares that through an expressive art, the artists and the audience commune together, an encounter that reminds

(D) Originally delivered as the first William James Lecture at Harvard in 1932, Art as Experience, John Dewey’s major writing on aesthetics declared that through such an expressive art, the artists and the audience communed together, an encounter that reminded

(E) When it was originally delivered as the first William James Lecture at Harvard in 1932, Art as Experience, John Dewey’s major writing on aesthetics declared that through an expressive art, the artists and the audience communed together, an encounter that reminds

The answer is C.

My doubt still remains. Please help - 20 days away from G Day.

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [1], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Oops! Between an individual’s opinion like that of Daagh and the Official Guideline, OG prevails.
VERITAS’ argument is in line with the OG. Therefore, we must take that.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [1], given: 363

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 144

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 06:02
Can someone explain whether " launched" is used as a verb or a verb-ed modifier in Option C.

If it was used a verb, it doesn't make sense as contemporary American movement didn't launch itself.
and if used as verb-ed modifier then the sentence is a run-on.
Please help @VertiasprepKarishma

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 144

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 12:14
man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

In all the options one thing is awkward....nature's beauty....here nature is in possessive form....
is it correct to use pronoun 'it' for possessive nature's ....and all that it offers.... ??

expert please reply??

Expert Post
G

Kudos [?]: 17324 [0], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 21:58
abhineetmanu wrote:

In all the options one thing is awkward....nature's beauty....here nature is in possessive form....
is it correct to use pronoun 'it' for possessive nature's ....and all that it offers.... ??

expert please reply??

"it" refers to "nature's beauty". The noun is beauty.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 01:26
IMO A
Option A places every modifier correctly

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Intern
Intern
B

For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 11:39
abhineetmanu wrote:

expert please reply??

please refer the part
" he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer"

as per the intended meaning ...man does not fully accept what nature has all to offer not nature's beauty ...what does nature's beauty has to offer to mam??

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 21:44
abhineetmanu wrote:
abhineetmanu wrote:

expert please reply??

please refer the part
" he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer"

as per the intended meaning ...man does not fully accept what nature has all to offer not nature's beauty ...what does nature's beauty has to offer to mam??

How about "a sense of pride", "a feeling of belongingness" and whatever else poets can think of?

Though I am not sure why you are questioning the non-underlined part. The question is not trying to confuse you by asking what you think the author means.

Also, though we do not use a nominative/objective case pronoun when the antecedent is possessive but GMAT will not ask you to decide based on this distinction alone. Check this post for more: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2016/0 ... -the-gmat/

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 21:16
Which vs commaing is actually not the main point.
At least it is sth. Hard to start with.

Split point
X was launched
3 choices left
Movement , launch, silent spring
What is the relationship

Movement did not launch silent spring
And movement did not launch itself

PS:
Essay

I am always confused about the subject of verb such as " declare" " require" "argue" "outline"
Which or comma+ing
I write an article.
I outline/ declare/ require/ argue or the article outline/ declare/ require/ argue?
The reason why I do not use comma ing:
outline/declare/require/argue is not additional info or consequence of write

I think I can say
I write an article declaring sth.
But no comma

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 15:59
Please help me in understanding that why C is the correct option,
Also please explain what is the antecedent for "it" in the lst part of the sentence
Regards
Sarab

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 23:13
My Answer is C

Reasoning:-

since the non-underlined portion mentioned the time line of events "a century before" past participle is ruled out hence A&E are ruled out. Now American Environmental movement neither can launch" itself "(B) nor can it launch” Rachel.”(D)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
I don't agree with the OA. The answer should be A, right?

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 42

Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2017, 10:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap