Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal ove [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
trangtran2402 wrote:
GMATNinja please explain why A is wrong. I am not satisfied with the above explanation that "and" should not be used to connect these two clauses. I can't find any problems with A. Thank you very much.

Dear trangtran2402,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I say that, while (C) is better, (A) is too close--there's not really enough wrong with it to be a definitively clear wrong answer. Both "launched" and "was launched" are valid uses of that verb: perhaps the former is slightly more direct and powerful because it's active. Similarly, linking the two long clauses with an "and" makes the whole sentence a little clunky: the semicolon divide in (C) is better. Having said all of this, (A) is not really "wrong" in the way that an incorrect choice would be wrong on the official GMAT SC.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal ove [#permalink]
Quote:
Dear trangtran2402,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I say that, while (C) is better, (A) is too close--there's not really enough wrong with it to be a definitively clear wrong answer. Both "launched" and "was launched" are valid uses of that verb: perhaps the former is slightly more direct and powerful because it's active. Similarly, linking the two long clauses with an "and" makes the whole sentence a little clunky: the semicolon divide in (C) is better. Having said all of this, (A) is not really "wrong" in the way that an incorrect choice would be wrong on the official GMAT SC.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

mikemcgarry
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! Do these types of answers happen in real tests? If yes, how often? To tell the truth your explanation left me more confused, since if I encounter these answers I have to rely on my sense to decide which is better, and as you said they are too close, it means depending on luck then.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
trangtran2402 wrote:
mikemcgarry
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! Do these types of answers happen in real tests? If yes, how often? To tell the truth your explanation left me more confused, since if I encounter these answers I have to rely on my sense to decide which is better, and as you said they are too close, it means depending on luck then.

Hi trangtran2402!

I'm happy to jump in for Mike :-) You should not see a question like this on the real test. As Mike said, there isn't really any that's definitively wrong about (A). That should not ever happen on the real exam -- the incorrect answers should always have a clear reason why they are incorrect. So you don't have to worry about making really subtle decisions like this one.

To develop this sense in general, though, I'd recommend reading as much as possible, as described in this post: How to Improve Your Verbal Score

I hope that's helpful! :-)
-Carolyn
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45 (Online)
Send PM
hazelnut VeritasKarishma VeritasPrepHailey

Can you please elaborate a little as to why 'was launched' is incorrect in A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shivam1809 wrote:
hazelnut VeritasKarishma VeritasPrepHailey

Can you please elaborate a little as to why 'was launched' is incorrect in A

It's debatable whether 'was launched' is incorrect. As I said in my previous post, my issue is with 'and'.

For Ralph, T was his professed ideal ... before the AE movement was launched with SS, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” ...

vs

For Ralph, T was his professed ideal ... before the AE movement launched with SS; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,”

There isn't a good reason to combine the two sentences. With the semi colon, it's much cleaner.

Also, I would choose 'launched' over 'was launched' because it wasn't a formal launching. With 'was launched', it seems that the movement was launched officially by someone with Rachel's book. But it might be a bit more appropriate to say that the movement launched with the book.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
sunny91 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

A. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
'was launched' is not appropriate here ...the portion after "and" is not parallel to the first part

B. launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
and outlined" makes it as if the movement outlined the beliefs...

C. launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
the second part of the sentence is written as an independent sentence, resolving all issues.. CORRECT

D. launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
'with' missing ,changing the meaning...

E. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
"was" and "in it" make the sentence incorrect
ans C

Hi Chetan2u,
Can you kindly explain why was launched is not correct here. whether the movement launched itself as in B or launched with something as in C or launched something as in D, all in active voice. Can a movement do such acts? Or is it better to say in passive voice that the movement was launched’. For me, the movement cant launch itself, someone needs to launch it.

chetan2u could you please help with this query?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31921 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

A. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
'was launched' is not appropriate here ...the portion after "and" is not parallel to the first part

B. launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
and outlined" makes it as if the movement outlined the beliefs...

C. launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
the second part of the sentence is written as an independent sentence, resolving all issues.. CORRECT

D. launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
'with' missing ,changing the meaning...

E. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
"was" and "in it" make the sentence incorrect
ans C

Hi Chetan2u,
Can you kindly explain why was launched is not correct here. whether the movement launched itself as in B or launched with something as in C or launched something as in D, all in active voice. Can a movement do such acts? Or is it better to say in passive voice that the movement was launched’. For me, the movement cant launch itself, someone needs to launch it.

chetan2u could you please help with this query?

Hi,
Here if you look at the complete sentence, launched is not a verb but a modifier modifying the movement, ‘ the environmental movement’.

The sentence already has a verb was in A was his B over a century before ??
Now before can be followed by just a noun, and that is what choice C says , the environmental movement (launched with ..)
OR before can be followed by a clause, the environmental movement was launched..,,
The main fault in A is the usage of AND, but I would say although both launched and was launched are correct, launched is direct and may a slightly more appropriate.
Of course, when you have such a minor difference, there would be some bigger error too.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
It took me 3min 30sec i was happy in the end that i could nail down the right answer the fact of the matter being we have to nail down the right tense the noun should refer to the right person keeping all that bottlenecks in mind let us figure out the answer
A) was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
arguing and accept are not in the same tense hence i eleminated

(B) launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
it was not the environment that had launched the argument isn't clear

(C) launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
The tenses are in sync there is a relative clarity in the tenses let us hang on to this one

(D) launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
Afain same problem as A

(E) was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
here too there is a tense problem for example arguing and offers are not in sync
Hence IMO C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2116
Send PM
Hello,

I have a query here.
I am confused on how to reject Choice A.

I see the sentence structure as below:
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before
the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson???s Silent Spring,
and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, ???Nature,???
arguing that man does not fully accept
nature???s beauty
and all that it has to offer.

'the contemporary...' and 'he outlined...' can be treated a sparallel here.

'the contemporary American environmental movement was launched' also does not seems wrong, since a movement can be launched.

Could you please explain where I am going wrong?

Thanks and Regards,
Ankit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
WE:Advertising (Health Care)
Send PM
I have one question.

"Nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer."

Nature's beauty - so beauty is the noun and nature is in possessive. So how can "it" (a pronoun) refer back to a possessive?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Schools: ISB '25 (A)
Send PM
To answer this within a few seconds, check the beginning of each option:
In B, ‘launched itself’ is incorrect since a movement can’t launch itself.
In D, ‘launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring..’ is incorrect because a movement cannot launch a book/essay.
Coming to E, the part after ; should exist as an individual sentence but the ‘it’ just after ; makes the option incorrect.
In A, the ‘and’ breaks the link between the cause and effect and makes it sound as if the movement and outlining of his beliefs are two different things.
Hence C is correct.

Hope it helps :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts