Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
dear AndrewN
I have a question.

why provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly cannot modify cows?

honestly speaking, i picked up E, but I thought provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly modifies cows,

in this case, "For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool," is a preposition phrase, so I did not pay much attention, and I just focused on the provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly.... milk each per year., that's why I picked up E and eliminated A.

my interpretation is for a certain group people, cows provided with high energy feed and milked regularly can produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

Andrew, would you please clarify why provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly cannot modify cows?

I am not sure I understand your question, zoezhuyan. In a manner of speaking, those modifiers are modifying the cows. It is just that the pronoun them appears ahead of the noun it stands in for, Holstein cows. You can break down the correct sentence in the following manner if it helps:

1) For the farmer who takes care to keep [Holstein cows] cool...
2) provided with high-energy feed...
3) and milked regularly...
4) [the cows] will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

If you arrived at the correct answer, then good for you. Do not worry about the small stuff, whether a modifier belongs to a pronoun or the noun that that pronoun stands in for. As long as the pieces fit, you have done your job.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
Hi experts, this might be a silly question here but please help me in this:

Is it right to say - Farmers keep the cows provided with food?
It looks utterly awkward to me.

Farmers keep the cows cool and Farmers keep the cows milked - these two look perfectly fine. But the "Farmers keep the cows provided with food" is not sitting with me well.

Is there something I am missing?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
I will provide my reasoning behing the elemination
This is something that has happened in the past and keeping thatin mind either it should be providing with milking or provided with milked hence eleminating B and C
The is a useless distractor which is not required for Hollister cow hence D is out
between A and E tough call beacuse of the above stated conditioning and cows will produce i chose E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Attachment:
SC Cow.jpg

At first, none of the answers looks right - this is certainly a high level question. B) and D) cannot be correct, as mentioned above, because the sentence has a plural number of cows ('them') at the beginning of the sentence, and a singular number of cows at the end. A) doesn't look at all promising, because, if you interpret 'takes care', 'providing' and 'milking' to be a list of actions performed by the farmer, you expect parallelism; that is, you expect it to read: "takes care to keep them cool, provides them with high energy feed, and milks them regularly..." Unfortunately none of the answers is parallel in this sense, *so we can't interpret the underlined passage as part of a sequence of actions performed by the farmer*. The underlined passage isn't attached to the beginning of the sentence at all, in fact; it's attached to the end of the sentence. If we simply reorder the words, using what should be the correct answer (that's E), I assume), the meaning should become clear:

Provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year for the farmer who takes care to keep them cool.

Try to do the same rearrangement with answer A) and you'll see there's a problem.

HI! So, in E we have cool, provided---- and milked---- as parallel entities ? cool is an adjective and provided and milked are past participles. particles and adjectives can be parallel? Is this correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
I have a doubt , i marked the sentence as incorrect because the -ing modifiers providing and milking are between the two commas , which means they are modifying the noun 'cool' . So that does not make any sense . Is my understanding correct about the modifiers ?????
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
For the farmer, who takes care of the cows, Holstein cows produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.
The ways in which the farmer takes care of the cows must be parallel. The farmer takes care to keep them cool, to keep them provided with high-energy feed, to keep them milked regularly. The -ing/ participle forms in Option A break parallelism. Eliminate.

(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
The plural pronoun “them” does not agree with the singular noun “cow”. It also contains parallelism errors. Eliminate.

(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
"And milking" breaks parallelism. Eliminate.

(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
The plural pronoun “them” does not agree with the singular noun “cow”. Eliminate.

(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce
Correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

Attachment:
SC Cow.jpg

we need to look at 2 things:
- first the parallelism. The farmer does 3 things that do not depend on one another, "keep them cool"; "provided" and "milked".
Note: we could have "the farmer keep them cool, turning on the air conditioning and opening the door open." This would be parallel the "turning" and "opening" are not verbs, they are modifiers that are modifying the action "keep them cool".

- second, "holstein cows" VS "the Holstein cow". Since the last part of the sentence is "an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year", it doesnt make sense to say that "the holstein cow" produces on average.

a) it is parallel "providing" and "milking", but these 2 actions are not describing the act of "keep them cool"

b) "and milked" is not parallel to anything. "providing" is a modifier and "milked" is a verb

c) "and milking" is not parallel. "provided" is a verb and "milking" is a modifier

d) it is parallel, but has the problem of "the holstein cow"

e) correct. Is parallel as the 3 actions are not related and has "holstein cows"

egmat could you please see if you agree with my way of thinking?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

Attachment:
SC Cow.jpg

Hi IanStewart so my question is still same, what are the words cool, provided and milked acting as. I think adjectives. But what are they describing? Also, if in E, we would have providing rather than provided and same with milked, that would make it technically correct? right? because all 3 are adjectives (present participles). But when I tried to read it that way it didn't make any sense. "Manages to keep them cool, manages to keep them providing--- and manages to keep them milking"sounds absurd. Can you please comment on it?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Hi IanStewart so my question is still same, what are the words cool, provided and milked acting as. I think adjectives. But what are they describing? Also, if in E, we would have providing rather than provided and same with milked, that would make it technically correct? right? because all 3 are adjectives (present participles). But when I tried to read it that way it didn't make any sense. "Manages to keep them cool, manages to keep them providing--- and manages to keep them milking"sounds absurd. Can you please comment on it?

I broke this question down on the first page of this thread, and explained there why you can't replace "provided" with "providing" here -- as you correctly say, it doesn't make any sense when you do that. The words you're asking about are adjectives, describing the Holstein cows.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V20
Send PM
Kudos

we know that there is a pronoun, "them", and pronouns need an antecedent so the singular antecedent, cow, can not work. remove options B & D

now we can see the difference at end of the underlined portion between producing vs will produce, it is incorrect to say that cows are producing an average of *****milk each per year. The best tense would be - produce or will produce.

you have your answer, E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Akash,

Well, this question is certainly confusing and not written in the best possible manner. However let’s get into the logic of this sentence. The sentence is saying that for the farmers who takes care of the Holstein cows in certain ways, these cows produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year. Now here comes the tricky part. The ways in which the farmers takes care of these cows is that he takes care:
a. to keep them cool,
b. to keep them provided with high-energy feed, and
c. to keep them milked regularly.

1. From the original sentence, it is clear that the entities in the list are not parallel. While “cool” is an adjective, “providing…” and “milking…” are working as gerunds (nouns) in this sentence.
2. In case, if you could not figure out the correct parallel list to rectify it, look at the problem this way. “providing…” and “milking…” are the verb-ing modifiers preceded by comma. This means that they are modifying the preceding clause. However, it does not make sense to say that the farmer keeps the cows cool by providing them good feed and by milking them. So these modifiers do not fit here.
3. Also notice the inconsistent verb tenses. This sentence is providing general information about the Holstein cows. Using present continuous tense “are producing” does not make sense here.

POE:

a. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

b. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces: Incorrect.
1. The verb-ing modifier “providing…” does not make sense as in choice A.
2. The entities in the list are still not parallel.
3. The singular antecedent “the Holstein cow” does not agree in number with plural pronoun “them”.

c. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing: Incorrect.
1. Verb-ing modifier “milking…” does not make sense.
3. Use of “are producing” is incorrect.

d. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces: Incorrect. The singular antecedent “the Holstein cow” does not agree in number with plural pronoun “them”.

e. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce: Correct. The use of future “will produce” is correct because we have a causal relationship here. If the farmers take care of the cows in certain ways, then the cows produce certain amount of milk. The cause is written in the simple present. Hence, the effect can be written in either simple present tense or simple future tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

What are "Provided"and "Milked" verb ed modifier or verb itself,and justification for each
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Santanubarik wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi Akash,

Well, this question is certainly confusing and not written in the best possible manner. However let’s get into the logic of this sentence. The sentence is saying that for the farmers who takes care of the Holstein cows in certain ways, these cows produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year. Now here comes the tricky part. The ways in which the farmers takes care of these cows is that he takes care:
a. to keep them cool,
b. to keep them provided with high-energy feed, and
c. to keep them milked regularly.

1. From the original sentence, it is clear that the entities in the list are not parallel. While “cool” is an adjective, “providing…” and “milking…” are working as gerunds (nouns) in this sentence.
2. In case, if you could not figure out the correct parallel list to rectify it, look at the problem this way. “providing…” and “milking…” are the verb-ing modifiers preceded by comma. This means that they are modifying the preceding clause. However, it does not make sense to say that the farmer keeps the cows cool by providing them good feed and by milking them. So these modifiers do not fit here.
3. Also notice the inconsistent verb tenses. This sentence is providing general information about the Holstein cows. Using present continuous tense “are producing” does not make sense here.

POE:

a. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

b. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces: Incorrect.
1. The verb-ing modifier “providing…” does not make sense as in choice A.
3. The singular antecedent “the Holstein cow” does not agree in number with plural pronoun “them”.

c. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing: Incorrect.
1. Verb-ing modifier “milking…” does not make sense.
3. Use of “are producing” is incorrect.

d. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces: Incorrect. The singular antecedent “the Holstein cow” does not agree in number with plural pronoun “them”.

e. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce: Correct. The use of future “will produce” is correct because we have a causal relationship here. If the farmers take care of the cows in certain ways, then the cows produce certain amount of milk. The cause is written in the simple present. Hence, the effect can be written in either simple present tense or simple future tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

What are "Provided"and "Milked" verb ed modifier or verb itself,and justification for each

Hello Santanubarik,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "provided" and "milked" are both past participles acting as noun modifiers. We can tell that they are modifiers, as they are in a list with the adjective "cool".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
if the official answer is not perfect, we have hard problem. the official answer could be incorrect if there is a better choice.

in choice e, "for farmer..." work as adverb of the main clause and so, should be near to the main clause and ,so, should be at the end of sentence. but there is no choice in which "for farmer ..." is at the end. so, choice e is best.

in choice e, the best, "for farmer..."stand before another adverb "provided with..." 2 advers should be at the begining and at the end of the main clause to make the sentence clear. but we dont need perfect choice, we need only the best choice, choice e.

we dont find the perfect choice, we find the best choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
This question can be solved without looking at the parallel or modifier errors
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
kittle

True--others have noted above that if we work from "them" in the modifier, we need a plural subject, and only one sentence core works. However, the other issues are good exercise, and they might be what someone spots first!

thangvietnam

We actually have a lot of flexibility in the placement of adverbial modifiers, and the placement in E is not problematic at all. It's really a matter of emphasis. Do we want to say "This will happen IF YOU DO THIS" or "IF YOU DO THIS, this will happen." The author is choosing to emphasize the sufficient conditions rather than the result.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stern '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Kudos
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

Attachment:
SC Cow.jpg

As with most good GMAT SC questions, this question can easily be answered if one concentrates on the meaning. The farmer can't keep the cows cool by providing them with high-energy feed. Thus, A and B are out. D has the number agreement issue, and C has a parallelism issue.
E is free of all the above-mentioned errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Send PM
Hi IanStewart,
Great Explanation!!!
Can you please help me understand the structure of the correct answer choice a little more?
"For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool,"- is this a prep phrase and what is it modifying?
This part is followed by "provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly," which I suppose is modifying the Cows. But I could not understand if its structurally okay to have a prep two modifiers in a row 'for the farmer.... and provided with....' before the main subject?
Thank you!!!

IanStewart wrote:
GMATMadeeasy wrote:

Attachment:
SC Cow.jpg

At first, none of the answers looks right - this is certainly a high level question. B) and D) cannot be correct, as mentioned above, because the sentence has a plural number of cows ('them') at the beginning of the sentence, and a singular number of cows at the end. A) doesn't look at all promising, because, if you interpret 'takes care', 'providing' and 'milking' to be a list of actions performed by the farmer, you expect parallelism; that is, you expect it to read: "takes care to keep them cool, provides them with high energy feed, and milks them regularly..." Unfortunately none of the answers is parallel in this sense, *so we can't interpret the underlined passage as part of a sequence of actions performed by the farmer*. The underlined passage isn't attached to the beginning of the sentence at all, in fact; it's attached to the end of the sentence. If we simply reorder the words, using what should be the correct answer (that's E), I assume), the meaning should become clear:

Provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year for the farmer who takes care to keep them cool.

Try to do the same rearrangement with answer A) and you'll see there's a problem.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts