GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 13:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular deli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2011, 09:00
acdbe2003 wrote:
Anyone can help me to clarify why A waken the conclusion???

option A says that traffic congestion has been increasing from past five years,as the average trip time is 80 it means today it will take more than 80 minutes.This can be understood by following details
Year Time taken( in mnt.)
1 60
2 70
3 80
4 90
5 100
Average time 80 mnt., thus it needs 100 minutes today for the round trip and hence weakens the conclusion
Intern
Intern
Schools: NUS
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2011, 09:06
kotela wrote:
I will go with B, it says courier vehicles takes approx 80 min and says passeger vehicles are faster than courier vehicles so 80 min should be sufficient for the trip

Plz correct me if i am wrong and also please share the OA?

The conclusion is that approximately 80 minutes are needed for the round trip...neither less nor more.Option B says that it will take less than 80 minutes and thus weaken the conclusion.
OA please!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 01-28-2012
GPA: 3.46
WE: Business Development (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2011, 13:18
I selected "C" here. The option on questions like these (weaken except) will often have a neutral effect on the conclusion. In saying that the heavy trucks have a lower speed limit, you can't truly assume that the passenger cars will be able to move at a much higher speed. For all we know, the traffic may force everyone to go 35 MPH, versus the posted speed limit. It doesn't weaken his conclusion that the trip should take 80 minutes. It is merely a neutral statement that could contribute to his reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 19:39
kotela wrote:
I will go with B, it says courier vehicles takes approx 80 min and says passeger vehicles are faster than courier vehicles so 80 min should be sufficient for the trip

Plz correct me if i am wrong and also please share the OA?

After clear examination i will go with C, but what is the OA?
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 19:50
ruturajp wrote:

I am still confused..please explain it more in detail

Which choice are you confused? Please show your reasoning up? I will try to help you :D
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 23:15
+1 C

The average for the company considers the last five years; that's the key to understand this question.

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: Do you agree with MGMAT's answer choice on this CR?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2011, 06:41
As the packing, loading, and delivery time is not taken into account for calculating the average time that John uses as a reference, option (C) should be the correct choice. Option (C) refers to the packing, loading, and delivery time which is irrelevant to the calculation, and so does not call John's conclusion into question.

All of the other choices create a chance that the time taken as reference by John is not correct due to various factors.

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2011, 08:05
vbetanabhatla wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I was struggling to make up my mind between B and E and they I saw the answer C which surprised me. I appears from your responses that you are dead sure C is a good choice. So I am thinking my approach towards CR questions is wrong.

"Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?"

I read this as asking, which of the below if true would leave John with enough time to complete the trip?

Answer choice B suggests that John can travel faster in his personal vehicle and hence will complete the trip in shorter amount of time

Answer choice E suggests that the 5 year average of 80 mins is more constraining than what it takes now (since the freeway was built 2 years ago)

Am I completely out of my mind for thinking that way, or (though highly unlikely :( ) anyone else out there read this question like me

Thanks
Vijay

Your paraphrase into this question "I read this as asking, which of the below if true would leave John with enough time to complete the trip?" is incorrect.

"Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?" maybe become STRENGTHEN or NOT WEAKEN. The best way with this kind of question is use POE, eliminating all answer that call John's conclusion into question? Mean find all choice WEAKEN the conclusion.

Your reasoning in choice B and E is correct. Both of two choice WEAKEN the conclusion. So, eliminate.

Note: "Not attack" does not mean "defense". It maybe both "defense" and "stay".

Hope that helps.
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2011, 08:34
vbetanabhatla wrote:
Here is a MGMAT question that I got in my CAT test. I want to believe MGMAT knows (way!!!) more about CR than I do. But I can't understand their logic on this question. Can someone please enlighten me?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular delivery trips between Town A and Town B. The average time taken by the company’s drivers to drive the round trip between the two towns, excluding the time taken for loading, unloading, and delivery, over that period has been 80 minutes. John, a driver for XYZ, needs to make a personal trip between the two towns; he figures that he should allow approximately 80 minutes for the round trip.

Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?

A) The route between Town A and Town B has been plagued by increasing congestion over the last five years, as the area's population has doubled during that time.

B) Most of XYZ’s courier vehicles are heavy trucks, for which speed limits are lower than for passenger vehicles.

C) Many of the packages carried by XYZ between Town A and Town B are large, high-security packages, for which the processes of loading, unloading, and delivery can take up to half the length of the trip itself.

D) John will make his personal trip at an hour when XYZ does not make delivery trips.

E) Before a freeway was built between Town A and Town B two years ago, the only routes between the two towns were state highways with multiple traffic lights and reduced-speed downtown zones.

John's conclusion - it should take same amount of time for his personal trip as it does for the deliveries.
Question - Which one does NOT WEAKEN John's conclusion.

A) The average time taken over the past five years has been 80 minutes. The population and congestion also has increased over the past five years. Worst case scenario - population stayed the same over 4 out of 5 years, but doubled just last year. So, say it used to take 40 minutes before and now takes about 120 minutes to deliver. Then it may weaken John's estimates that he can complete the trip in 80 minutes.

B) Delivery trucks are heavy and slow. Then they take more time than John's car to reach the destination. John would make the trip in less than 80 minutes. This strengthens his conclusion.

C) We know that the time taken for loading and unloading is not taken into consideration while calculating average delivery time for the company. This neither strengthens, nor weakens John's conclusion.

D) We don't know for sure what the consequences of this is going to be. If John is making personal trip at a busier hour, he would need more time, if not, he may complete the trip in less than 80 minutes. This can be viewed as an outside the scope option.

E) This means it used to take more than 80 minutes the first three years of the last five years, now it takes less. So, John would be able to complete the trip in less than the average time of 80 minutes.

Only (C) does NOT WEAKEN the conclusion and hence the right answer.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Re: For the last five years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2012, 07:42
For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular delivery trips between Town A and Town B. The average time taken by the company’s drivers to drive the round trip between the two towns, excluding the time taken for loading, unloading, and delivery, over that period has been 80 minutes. John, a driver for XYZ, needs to make a personal trip between the two towns; he figures that he should allow approximately 80 minutes for the round trip.

I would have to go with C.

a)The route between Town A and Town B has been plagued by increasing congestion over the last five years, as the area's population has doubled during that time..

Its basicially saying it will take more time

b) Most of XYZ’s courier vehicles are heavy trucks, for which speed limits are lower than for passenger vehicles.
If the speedlimit is just below so basically he can travel faster and possibly complete before 80 mins

c) Many of the packages carried by XYZ between Town A and Town B are large, high-security packages, for which the processes of loading, unloading, and delivery can take up to half the length of the trip itself.. Correct Choice

d) John will make his personal trip at an hour when XYZ does not make delivery trips. weakens cos hes completing the trip faster.

e) Before a freeway was built between Town A and Town B two years ago, the only routes between the two towns were state highways with multiple traffic lights and reduced-speed downtown zones. This is saying for 3 years it was taking more time and now its lower cos the average time is 80 mins according to the passage
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2013, 19:16
How is it NOT E??? E has absolutely nothing to do with his logic.
Manager
Manager
Re: For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 09:27
E is not out of scope as it implies that for three years out of five, time required for a round trip was much more than it has been for the last two years.Thus the average turns out to be 80 mins.John should lower his estimate of time required for the personal trip.He won't take 80 mins now.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2014, 10:50
Hi All,

Let me see if I can help clarify. The Correct answer is "C"

As a lot of you have stated, this is not a weakener, as the 'loading' etc has already been taken out of the timing equation in the paragraph. So that loading is time consuming, does not matter in the 80 min calculation.

With E though, there is a problem. The 80min estimation has been done over 5 years the question says. But E tells us that for 3 of those, the drive would have been done on a local road, but it can now be done on the freeway. So the average time now is likely to be less than the average over the past 5 years.

This means that John's journey should be estimated to take less time, hence why E does indeed weaken, and so is incorrect.

Hope this helps.

James
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 10:22
Scenario is not clear; what this argument is trying to tell? what is the circumstance?
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".
Manager
Manager
Re: For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular deli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 09:57
fluke wrote:
pkmme wrote:
The answer is C; however, bear my ignorance, my point is that as per the question "does not call John’s conclusion into question" can be interpreted as choose an option that doesn't call John's conclusion that he can cover the round trip in 80 mins into question or doesn't weakens the conclusion. Taking this into consideration, B also points out the courier vehicles are slow as they carry heavy goods and the courier vehicles take 80 mins. Thus, John going on a personal journey can definitely cover the trip in less than 80 mins. So, B also doesn't weaken the conclusion

If you predict that you would score approximately 750 in GMAT.

Scoring an 800 or a 700 would both be considered bad prediction. This argument is similar.

80 mph means 80 mph.
both 130 mph AND 30 mph are bad result.

fluke nailed it. What makes this question hard is - to understand that taking less time than 80 mins. also calls John's conclusion into question. This thought just doesn't occur under timed conditions and folks engage in only one direction i.e. what answer choices say that John will take more time than expected. Everyone easily eliminates options A and B, after that struggles with C,D and E.

A and B - say he will take more time.
D and E - say he will take less time.

C - is neutral/doesn't affect and hence the answer.

Took time to fully decouple this, including multiple readings. Happy to have finally got it!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 13:18
a) The route between Town A and Town B has been plagued by increasing congestion over the last five years, as the area's population has doubled during that time. - The population has increased. So, when John wants to drive NOW, his conditions are such that it takes him twice as long to drive through the congestion. Conditions changed, timings should also change

b) Most of XYZ’s courier vehicles are heavy trucks, for which speed limits are lower than for passenger vehicles. - This proves that trucks and cars are treated differently for their speed limits. Conditions changed, timings should also change.

c) Many of the packages carried by XYZ between Town A and Town B are large, high-security packages, for which the processes of loading, unloading, and delivery can take up to half the length of the trip itself. - The process of loading, etc has already been discounted from the argument. So, this choice adds no value to what is asked. CORRECT

d) John will make his personal trip at an hour when XYZ does not make delivery trips. - This proves that trucks and cars are treated differently for their timing of operation.Conditions changed, timings should also change.

e) Before a freeway was built between Town A and Town B two years ago, the only routes between the two towns were state highways with multiple traffic lights and reduced-speed downtown zones. - So the average time of 5 years (=3 years of 1 state highway + 2 years of freeway) is 80mins. Now, John, as of NOW, has 2 options to drive on. This change implies that John has an incentive to decrease his drive time to less than 80mins by using freeway. Conditions changed, timings should also change
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular deli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 21:42
We are looking for variables between regular delivery trips and personal trip.

Loading, unloading time doesn't matter so anything that focus upon that, we can exclude that as a weakener.

c) Many of the packages carried by XYZ between Town A and Town B are large, high-security packages, for which the processes of loading, unloading, and delivery can take up to half the length of the trip itself. => ruled out.

IMO A & E is also not weakener.
a) The route between Town A and Town B has been plagued by increasing congestion over the last five years, as the area's population has doubled during that time. => this situation applied to both regular delivery trips and personal trip so we can't sat say that this will make a difference in time for personal trip.

e) Before a freeway was built between Town A and Town B two years ago, the only routes between the two towns were state highways with multiple traffic lights and reduced-speed downtown zones. => you have no idea if both regular delivery trips and personal trip are made on same highway or a different one. We are assuming a lot here.

For reference :

A physically active lifestyle has been shown to help increase longevity. In the Wistar region of Bellaria, the average age at death is considerably higher than in any other part of the country. Wistar is the only mountainous part of Bellaria. A mountainous terrain makes even such basic activities as walking relatively strenuous; it essentially imposes a physically active lifestyle on people. Clearly, this circumstance explains the long lives of people in Wistar.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) In Bellaria all medical expenses are paid by the government, so that personal income does not affect the quality of health care a person receives.
B) The Wistar region is one of Bellaria, s least populated regions.
C) Many people who live in the Wistar region have moved there in middle age or upon retirement.
D) The many opportunities for hiking, skiing, and other outdoor activities that Wistar's mountains offer make it a favorite destination for vacationing Bellarians.
E) Per capita spending on recreational activities is no higher in Wistar than it is in other regions of Bellaria.

In this question, A is not weakener because we are looking for a certain variable between whole bellaria and a part of bellaria, wistar. As option A talks about whole Bellaria, we can't considered that as a weakener.

Expert pl advise
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 11:56
megha_2709 wrote:
I dont understand the question and ans choices at all :( , some one please please help what is the conclusion and how
we need to strengthen it

John thinks he should allow approx 80 mins for round trip , now does he includes loading etc in this 80 mins or excluding it
.If he exluded loading etc in this round trip , he want to take personal trip in this 80 mins only or outside of it
please please help . I dont understand the question neither how C is correct . :(

Besides this if someone could please explain the strategy for such questions.

Regards
Megha

Premise: Delivery trips take 80 mins.
Conclusion: John's personal trip will also take 80 mins.

If the underlying conditions under which the 80 mins time frame is achieved by the delivery trips is different from those for John' personal trip, then the timing would be different and the conclusion would be weakened.

Therefore weakening statements would illustrate some difference between the delivery trips' driving condition and John's personal trip's driving condition. All options except C do so.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 09:20
kannn wrote:

Which of the following, if true, does not call John’s conclusion into question?

a) The route between Town A and Town B has been plagued by increasing congestion over the last five years, as the area's population has doubled during that time.

b) Most of XYZ’s courier vehicles are heavy trucks, for which speed limits are lower than for passenger vehicles.

c) Many of the packages carried by XYZ between Town A and Town B are large, high-security packages, for which the processes of loading, unloading, and delivery can take up to half the length of the trip itself.

d) John will make his personal trip at an hour when XYZ does not make delivery trips.

e) Before a freeway was built between Town A and Town B two years ago, the only routes between the two towns were state highways with multiple traffic lights and reduced-speed downtown zones.

What is the question type? Assumption / Strengthen / Weaken ?

What is that ans choice C is trying to say?

Thanks

undoubtedly C is the correct answer.
the argument says that trip time doesn't include the loading/unloading process.
C has nothing to do with the length of the trip John plans to have...

A. this would question the assumption. it might be true that before, the trucks were making a round trip in 20 minutes, but as the population increased, the new time might be, say 150 minutes. when averaging for all 5 years, we might get to 80...but it does not represent the current situation.
B. this would question the conclusion;
D. it might mean less traffic, thus, weaken the conclusion;
E. it might be true that new freeway was built in the last year. since the average time of the trips is for the all 5 years, it might be true that now, trucks take less time for the roundtrip.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Insead '20

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 01:31
First of all the question asks us which statements strengthen John's claim or are neutral

I was stuck between answers A and C but finally I went for C because for the following reason:
A:- The average speed for the last 5 years is 80 mps and the congestion is growing meaning that speed must be declining from year 5 to now. For instance,5 years ago the speed was 100 mps but today is 60 mps so the average for the last 5 years is 80 mps, which probably was an actual speed in Y3. Today, however, the speed must be lower.

C - the question stems exclude activities such as loading, unloading, and delivery so this is neutral for John's claim

Does it make sense?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular deli   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2019, 01:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

For the last five years, the XYZ Courier Company has made regular deli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics