GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 13:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

For the last several years, the most popular breed of dog in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
For the last several years, the most popular breed of dog in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Feb 2012, 04:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:17) correct 20% (01:40) wrong based on 197 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For the last several years, the most popular breed of dog in the United States has been the Labrador Retriever. An official at a national association of dog breeders concluded that the breed is the most popular only because of the Labrador Retriever's friendly disposition and the ease with which the dogs can be trained.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the accuracy of the official's conclusion?

A. The Labrador Retriever is closely related to the Golden Retriever, another popular breed in the United States.
B. Labrador Retrievers have been trained in a number of useful ways, such as to serve as guide dogs or as hunting companions.
C. Some people do not like Labrador Retrievers because they can be quite large as adults and often chew furniture when they are puppies.
D. The Australian Shepard is another friendly and easy to train dog breed, yet it does not have nearly the popularity of the Labrador Retriever.
E. No recent popular television shows have featured a Labrador Retriever.

Originally posted by subhajeet on 21 Feb 2012, 22:54.
Last edited by subhajeet on 22 Feb 2012, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Re: The most popular breed of dog in the United States  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2012, 01:39
I think the answer should be D.

Conclusion: "the breed is the most popular only because of the Labrador Retriever's friendly disposition and the ease with which the dogs can be trained."

Option D. The Australian Shepard is another friendly and easy to train dog breed, yet it does not have nearly the popularity of the Labrador Retriever.

If this is true then we are sure that if other dogs with the same characteristics as mentioned are not popular, there must be some other reason why Labrador Retrievers are so popular and hence the conclusion is weakened.

What's the original answer?

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2012, 02:49
What is the OA?

What can weaken "that the breed is the most popular only because of the Labrador Retriever's friendly disposition and the ease with which the dogs can be trained"

--> We need to find something, which does not make the Labrador most popular only be it is friendly and easy to train

A. The Labrador Retriever is closely related to the Golden Retriever, another popular breed in the United States. --> Does not weak the argument, not related
B. Labrador Retrievers have been trained in a number of useful ways, such as to serve as guide dogs or as hunting companions. Does not weak the argument, interesting but not related
C. Some people do not like Labrador Retrievers because they can be quite large as adults and often chew furniture when they are puppies.Does not weak the argument, not related
D. The Australian Shepard is another friendly and easy to train dog breed, yet it does not have nearly the popularity of the Labrador Retriever.if the argument would be true, the australian Shepard must be as popular as the Labrador Retriever as both dogs are friendly and easy to train; that would definitely weaken the argument
E. No recent popular television shows have featured a Labrador Retriever. Does not weak the argument, out of scope
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2012, 04:38
I have updated the OA. you guys have got it right. It's D :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2012, 13:36
I picked B because I didn't read D. How stupid of me?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: For the last several years, the most popular breed of dog in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 13:16
here is the official explanation from Kaplan.

Answer D - In the stimulus, the dog breeder official concludes that Labs are the most popular dog only because they are friendly and easily trained. In other words, the friendliness and ease of training of the Labs causes their popularity. In any weaken question with a causal argument, your task is to show that the causality is not properly draw – in this case that the friendliness and training ease are not alone causing the Lab to be the most popular dog breed. Choice (D) gives us reason to believe that this is true. If the Australian Shepard has the same characteristics as the Labrador Retriever, but does not have the same outcome (i.e., the high popularity), then there must be other factors involved (e.g., availability, reputation, etc.) that cause the Lab to be the most popular breed.

None of the other answer choices work to sever the causality as it is stated in the stimulus. Choice (A), (C), and (E) are out of scope – we do not care that the Lab is related to the Golden Retriever, nor that some people do not like the Lab, nor that the Lab has not shown up much on TV recently.

Choice (B) may actually strengthen the argument by confirming one of the useful and popular characteristics of the Lab – namely the ease with which the breed is trained. Since this is a weaken question, Choice (B) is incorrect.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 08:21
Does anybody here think answer D is not rightly framed? I know that we need to get the best ( and not the ideal) answer in the GMAT. I have the doubt because option D can be interpreted as:

"Since the Shepard does not have as much friendly disposition or cannot be trained with as much ease as a Lab , the Shepard is not as popular as the Lab. IT IS POPULAR because of the 2 factors but not as much as a Lab .So, this doesn't weaken the fact that the 2 factors make a dog popular.

I voted for B because B says that if a dog is trained as a hunting companion or guide dog then it becomes popular( and not because of the dog' friendly disposition and ease with which it can be trained)

Been breaking my head over this for long. :( . Need experts help !!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 08:28
I too think that B weakens the conclusion because it provides an alternate reason as to why the breed is popular.
If the breed is popular because of other reason apart from being friends and easily trained then that should weaken the conclusion.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 10:14
The phrase "cast the most serious doubt" identifies this as a Weaken question.

In the stimulus, the official concludes that Labs are the most popular dog only because they are friendly and easily trained. In other words, the friendliness and ease of training of the Labs causes their popularity.

Weaken a causal argument by finding information that says the causation may be reversed, that there may be another cause, or that there may be only correlation between the two factors, not causation. In this case, the most likely candidates are the last two. Look for a choice that contains information there may be a factor other than friendliness and ease of training that is contributing to the popularity of Labs (perhaps they're the latest choice for celebrities' pets) or information that indicates there's only a correlation between the two factors. Reversed causation doesn't make sense, as the popularity of Labs can't be making the dogs more friendly and easier to train.

(D) matches the prediction and is correct. If the Australian Shepherd has the same characteristics as the Labrador Retriever, but does not have the same popularity, then there must be some other reason--cost, availability, reputation, etc.--that causes the Lab to be the most popular breed.

(B) and (E) strengthen the argument. (B) provides support that Labs are easy to train, and (E) discounts another possible reason Labs may be popular.

(A) is irrelevant. The Lab's association with any other breed is not mentioned in the argument. You may think that Golden Retrievers are also friendly and easy to train, and that the choice therefore weakens the argument, but the choice does not mention any characteristics of Golden Retrievers.

(C) is irrelevant. The fact that some people disagree with the argument does not weaken it. The argument is only concerned with the reason the Labs are so popular.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 11:30
avohden wrote:
here is the official explanation from Kaplan.

Answer D - In the stimulus, the dog breeder official concludes that Labs are the most popular dog only because they are friendly and easily trained. In other words, the friendliness and ease of training of the Labs causes their popularity. In any weaken question with a causal argument, your task is to show that the causality is not properly draw – in this case that the friendliness and training ease are not alone causing the Lab to be the most popular dog breed. Choice (D) gives us reason to believe that this is true. If the Australian Shepard has the same characteristics as the Labrador Retriever, but does not have the same outcome (i.e., the high popularity), then there must be other factors involved (e.g., availability, reputation, etc.) that cause the Lab to be the most popular breed.

None of the other answer choices work to sever the causality as it is stated in the stimulus. Choice (A), (C), and (E) are out of scope – we do not care that the Lab is related to the Golden Retriever, nor that some people do not like the Lab, nor that the Lab has not shown up much on TV recently.

Choice (B) may actually strengthen the argument by confirming one of the useful and popular characteristics of the Lab – namely the ease with which the breed is trained. Since this is a weaken question, Choice (B) is incorrect.

Hi,

Please correct me if i am wrong.
i understand i need to find an alternate reason or dismiss the causality here. As you correctly mentioned (..then there must be other factors involved (e.g., availability, reputation, etc.) that cause the Lab to be the most popular breed.) ,so being easily trained and affable doesnt make them the most popular breed , rather they are a sub type of breed which enjoys popularity, and may be people like to buy them as they are related to another popular breed. which is stated in A.
of course D provides another new info about completely another breed that shows causality do not happen, it does not mean that it might not happen for a sub species of LABs family.
i find A more intriguing than D.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For the last several years, the most popular breed of dog in &nbs [#permalink] 29 Aug 2018, 11:30

For the last several years, the most popular breed of dog in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap