Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2555 [96]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618673 [61]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [46]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: For the students in class A, the range of their heights is r centimete [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel ,

According to me C will not give the answer because , When i plug in the values say

g=15 and h = 10
r= 2 and s = 3

the max value for A is 15 and the minimum value will be 1 (since the range is 2)
The max value for B is 10 and the minimum value will be 1 (since the range is 3)

the min value for both is 1 .. (we will not be able to ans question "Is the least height of the students in class A is greater than the least height of the students in class B"

Here , A=B

In one more instance ,

g=10 and h =9
r=4 and s=5

the min value for A will be 2
the min value for B will be 4

Here,

A < B

One more instance

g=12 and h =10
r=7 and s=8

the min value for A is 5
the min value for B is 2

here A > B

I was getting 3 different values.
So i marked E as my option. Can you please tell me what i am missing here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: For the students in class A, the range of their heights is r centimete [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
BANON wrote:
For the students in class A, the range of their heights is r centimeters and the greatest height is g centimeters. For the students in class B, the range of their heights is s centimeters and the greatest height is h centimeters. Is the least height of the students in class A greater than the least height of the students in class B ?

(1) r < s
(2) g > h

QUESTION A>B?........Where A is the smallest hight of class A and B is the smallest hight of class B

we can simply form an equation from this problem
from the question stem we can draw this as per my undestanding G-A=R, H-B=S, G for greatest hight and A for smallest in class A, R for range, H for greatest in B CLASS, B for smallest hight in B class, S for range in B CLASS
from stmnet 1. we can get R-S<0 AND FROM stmnt 2. we can get G-H>0

SO WE have four equations
1.G-A=R
2.H-B=S or H= B+S
3.R-S<0
4.G-H>0
NOW action

Eq.3.------R-S<0 OR G-A-S<0( putting value of R.) or -A<S-G OR A>G-S
Eq 4......... G-H>0 OR G-B-S>0 (putting value of H.) OR -B>S-G OR B<G-S
FROM this two we can easily form this
B<G-S<A..................WHERE ALL OF THE ACRONYMES ARE POSITIVE NOT NEGATIVE SO B MUST BE LESS THAN A

THAT directs us to combine these two statements for the solution

hence C
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618673 [4]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Desperate123 wrote:
Hi Bunuel ,

According to me C will not give the answer because , When i plug in the values say

g=15 and h = 10
r= 2 and s = 3

the max value for A is 15 and the minimum value will be 1 (since the range is 2)
The max value for B is 10 and the minimum value will be 1 (since the range is 3)

the min value for both is 1 .. (we will not be able to ans question "Is the least height of the students in class A is greater than the least height of the students in class B"

Here , A=B

In one more instance ,

g=10 and h =9
r=4 and s=5

the min value for A will be 2
the min value for B will be 4

Here,

A < B

One more instance

g=12 and h =10
r=7 and s=8

the min value for A is 5
the min value for B is 2

here A > B

I was getting 3 different values.
So i marked E as my option. Can you please tell me what i am missing here.

The red parts above are not correct. How did you get those values there? Anyway:

The range of a set is the difference between the largest and smallest elements in the set.

Which means that if: g=15, h = 10, r= 2 and s = 3, then:

For A: {Largest}-{Smallest}={Range} --> 15-{Smallest}=2 --> {Smallest}=13, not 1 as you've written.
For B: {Largest}-{Smallest}={Range} --> 10-{Smallest}=3 --> {Smallest}=7, not 1 as you've written.

13>7.

The same for the second example in your post.

Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [11]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Class A:
Smallest height=g-r
Range of heights=r
Greatest height=g
Class B:
Smallest height=h-s
Range=s
Greatest height=h

Question is asking whether g-r>h-s? or whether g+s>h+r?
Statement 1: S>r Not sufficient. Since we don't know about g & h.
Statement 2: g>h Not sufficient. Since we don't know about s & r.
On adding the two inequalities,
We get: g+s>h+r. Hence sufficient.

Please note that we can add or multiply the inequalities but we can't divide or subtract.
Hope that helps.
-s
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [11]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Assume smallest in class A as a
=> g - a = r
=> a = g - r

Assume smallest in class B as b
=> h - a = s
=> a = h - s

Question is whether g - r > h - s

(1) just says that r < s
Since we don't know anything about g and h, this is insufficient.

(2) says that g > h
Since we don't know anything about r and s, this is insufficient.

Combining,

s > r
g > h

Reversing the inequality r < s to s > r, so that now we have both inequalities pointing in the same direction.

Once that's the case, we can simply add the two inequalities

=> s + g > r + h
=> g - r > h - s

Hence, sufficient.

So, C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29901 [9]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
j_shreyans wrote:
For the students in class A, the range of their height is r cm and the greatest heights is g cm. For the students in class B , the range of their heights is s cm and the greatest heights is h cm. Is the least height of the students in class A greater than the least height of the students in class B?
Statement 1) r < s
Statement 2) g > h

Given: For the students in class A , the range of their heights is r cms and the greatest height is g cms.
Range = greatest height - least height.
Rearrange this to get: least height = greatest height - range.
So, for class A, the least height = g - r

Given: For the students in class B, the range of their heights is s cms and the greatest height is h cms.
So, for class B, the least height = h - s

Target question: Is the least height of the students class A greater than the least height of the students in class B?

We can rephrase this as...
REPHRASED target question: Is h - s < g - r

Since it's often easier to deal with sums than with differences, let's rephrase the target question one more time by taking h - s < g - r and adding s and r to both sides to get...
RE-REPHRASED target question: Is h + r < g + s

Perfect!! Now that we've rephrased the target question, this question is relatively easy to solve.

Aside: We have a free video with tips on rephrasing the target question: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency?id=1100

Statement 1: r < s
Since we have no information about h and g, we cannot answer the RE-REPHRASED target question with certainty.
So, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: g > h
Since we have no information about r and s, we cannot answer the RE-REPHRASED target question with certainty.
So, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
IMPORTANT: If we have two inequalities with the inequality symbols FACING THE SAME DIRECTION, we can add them.

Statement 1: r < s
Statement 2: h < g [I rewrote the inequality so that it's facing the same direction as that in statement 1]
ADD the inequalities to get: h + r < g + s
Perfect!! Since we can answer the RE-REPHRASED target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13386 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
BANON wrote:
For the students in class A, the range of their heights is r centimeters and the greatest height is g centimeters. For the students in class B, the range of their heights is s centimeters and the greatest height is h centimeters. Is the least height of the students in class A greater than the least height of the students in class B ?

(1) r < s
(2) g > h

Answer: Option C

Check solution
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
14.jpg
14.jpg [ 127.4 KiB | Viewed 34007 times ]

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM