It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3395 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2015, 19:39
Hi pacifist85,

While "adding in" a radius can be a useful 'step' in dealing with a multiple-shape Geometry question, it won't actually help us here.

With the information in Fact 2, we know that we have a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 18, but we don't know ANYTHING else.

With that info, we have A^2 + B^2 = 18^2, but we don't know the actual values of A and B (which we need to figure out the area). If we had info about the other angles, then we COULD figure those sides out though (since we'd have a relationship among the 3 sides based on the angles).

Adding in a radius won't help us figure out any of the other angles (in the big triangle or in either of the smaller triangles).

To figure out the area of the triangle, we need a "base" and a "height." We COULD set the 18 as the base, but we have no way of determining the height without additional information (at least one more of the sides or one of the non-90 degree angles). As such, Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 169

GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)
For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 03:19
Hi Rich,

I understand eveything you said. Actually, I wasn't assuming any of this. I added the image to illustrate what I thought.

So, after drawing it, I realised the mistake in my line of reasoning. The problem is that I cannot be sure which one the hypotenuse is, in any of the 2 smaller triangles, so using the pythagorean I can find the third side. Right?

Because all I know is that AC + CB >18 and that 18> CB - AC. But even with this information, I cannot figure out which one of the sides has the bigger or smaller length.

I was focusing on the lower triangle, because it seems that CB is greater than the radius, but I cannot be sure. So, "it seems" is not enough.
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 6.63 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2015, 12:42
Hi pacifist85,

A hypoteneuse ONLY exists in right triangles, so neither of the two small triangles actually has a hypoteneuse.

When dealing with Geometry questions on the GMAT, it's often really helpful to draw the physical shapes (as opposed to just staring at words or sticking to just the math formulas involved). You'll be far more likely to make 'connections' and the proper deductions when you can "see" the shapes and your work, so I encourage you to continue doing what you did here - draw the pictures and get the points.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 05:16
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pacifist85,

A hypoteneuse ONLY exists in right triangles, so neither of the two small triangles actually has a hypoteneuse.

When dealing with Geometry questions on the GMAT, it's often really helpful to draw the physical shapes (as opposed to just staring at words or sticking to just the math formulas involved). You'll be far more likely to make 'connections' and the proper deductions when you can "see" the shapes and your work, so I encourage you to continue doing what you did here - draw the pictures and get the points.

Rich

Hmmmm... a very good point that did not even occur to me... OK I will pretend that I had a mini stroke an move on!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

Concentration: Other, Technology
Schools: Molson '19 (A)
GMAT Date: 06-05-2015

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 03:44
enigma123 wrote:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on a circle, and line segment AB has length 18, what is the area of triangle ABC?

(1) Angle ABC measures 30°.
(2)The circumference of the circle is \(18\pi\).

Choice (1) by itself is insufficient. However, there is an equation to find the area of a triangle

Area of a triangle, A = P * r /2
P = perimeter of the inscribed circle
r = radius of the inscribed circle

Won't B alone suffice to reach the answer?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 457 [1], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
enigma123 wrote:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on a circle, and line segment AB has length 18, what is the area of triangle ABC?

To be honest it's a very easy question, if you don't assume your decisions based just on the drawing ! -- > It's a DS question, so don't assume anything.
(1) We have ONLY one side and one angle, it's not sufficient to calculate the area of a triamgle
(2) C=18pi, this tells us that the diameter is equal to 18 and that it's a right triangle, BUT it's still not sufficient to calculate an area with ONLY one side and one angle
(1) + (2) It's a 30-60-90 Triangle, thus we can calculate an are with the given information (all 3 angles + Hypotenuse =18)

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Kudos [?]: 457 [1], given: 200

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 03:35
In order to find the area of the triangle, we need to find the lengths of a base and its associated height. Our strategy will be to prove that ABC is a right triangle, so that CB will be the base and AC will be its associated height.

(1) INSUFFICIENT: We now know one of the angles of triangle ABC, but this does not provide sufficient information to solve for the missing side lengths.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: Statement (2) says that the circumference of the circle is 18 . Since the circumference of a circle equals times the diameter, the diameter of the circle is 18. Therefore AB is a diameter. However, point C is still free to "slide" around the circumference of the circle giving different areas for the triangle, so this is still insufficient to solve for the area of the triangle.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: Note that inscribed triangles with one side on the diameter of the circle must be right triangles. Because the length of the diameter indicated by Statement (2) indicates that segment AB equals the diameter, triangle ABC must be a right triangle. Now, given Statement (1) we recognize that this is a 30-60-90 degree triangle. Such triangles always have side length ratios of 1: sqrt3 :2

Given a hypotenuse of 18, the other two segments AC and CB must equal 9 and 9sqrt3 respectively. This gives us the base and height lengths needed to calculate the area of the triangle, so this is sufficient to solve the problem.

The correct answer is C.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 09:56
Why is B not enough ? If AB is the diameter then triangle ABC has to be 30-60-90 triangle and if that's the case then we can calculate the area right ?

I had read somewhere that if the Hypotenuse is confirmed as the diameter then the triangle is always a right angle triangle.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 11:16
Hi anuj11,

With the information in Fact 2, we know that we have a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 18, but we don't know ANYTHING else.

With that info, we have A^2 + B^2 = 18^2, but we don't know the actual values of A and B (which we need to figure out the area). If we had info about the other ANGLES, then we COULD figure those sides out though (since we'd have a relationship among the 3 sides based on the angles). However, we don't know whether the triangle is a 30/60/90 or some other right triangle... and those different options would have different areas. As such, Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Schools: Rotman '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 2.75

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 00:39
Can any one please explain why B alone is not sufficient.?
Is it because angle A and B could either of measures (i.e. 45,45 or 30,60).?

Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128459 [0], given: 12173

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 01:00
AdityaSurana94 wrote:

The second statement is not sufficient because even though we know that ABC must be a right triangle we don't know measures of its remaining angles. It's not necessary ABC to be either 30-60-90 or 45-45-90, it can be any right triangle, say 0.5-89.5-90 or say 17-73-90, ...

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128459 [0], given: 12173

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Rotman '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 2.75

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 23:37
Bunuel wrote:
AdityaSurana94 wrote:

The second statement is not sufficient because even though we know that ABC must be a right triangle we don't know measures of its remaining angles. It's not necessary ABC to be either 30-60-90 or 45-45-90, it can be any right triangle, say 0.5-89.5-90 or say 17-73-90, ...

Hope it helps.

THANKS. :) it did

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 13:38
AdityaSurana94 wrote:

even though we know that ABC must be a right triangle we don't know measures of its remaining angles

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 66

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 21:53
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Bunuel If it were given in the question that angle ACB = 90, then can we conclude that AB is the diameter of the circle?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 66

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128459 [1], given: 12173

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 23:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RMD007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

Bunuel If it were given in the question that angle ACB = 90, then can we conclude that AB is the diameter of the circle?

Yes.

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128459 [1], given: 12173

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 01:22
enigma123 wrote:
Attachment:
Untitled.png

St 1

We don't know anything about the other angles and we cannot assume that this is a 90 degree triangle unless one the sides of the triangle is the diameter of the circle

insuff

St 2

Even if we know that this is a right triangle we do not know whether this is an isosceles right triangle or a scalene right triangle

insuff

St 1 & 2
180- 30 = 60

If we know the remaining angle is 60 then the we can just adjust for ratio 1 \sqrt{3} 2

C

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Re: For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 01:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

For the triangle shown, where A, B and C are all points on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap