Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32847 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [1]
Given Kudos: 193
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: For visitors unaccustomed to this system of hereditary social division [#permalink]
in the last question why is option e wrong
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
For visitors unaccustomed to this system of hereditary social division [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

6. According to the passage, the caste system would affect all except which of the following scenarios in a caste-observant Indian person’s life?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

All of the other answers involve subjects that the passage mentions as having consequences within the caste system: food, marriage, jobs, and cleaning sewage (considered polluting). There is no reason given in the passage to conclude that caste considerations would affect the scenario in C.

ANSWER: C

Hope it helps

jotika86 wrote:
in the last question why is option e wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Re: For visitors unaccustomed to this system of hereditary social division [#permalink]
Hi Sajjad1994

Greetings of the day.

Is there any typo in the below question:-
What inference could reasonably be drawn from the second to last sentence of the passage?

Is it second to last tine of the passage or second last line of the passage?
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Sajjad1994 OE of question 4 please.
My line of thinking is -
Verna divided into jatis :: Deck divided into 52 playing cards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
AnirudhaS wrote:
My line of thinking is -

Hi AnirudhaS,

My thinking process for this question was that a deck of cards can be further divided into 4 parts: Heart, Ace, Diamond, and one other (as Varnas). The single type of card can be inferred as jati and the answer option does not specify the relation of card with a specific type of card whereas B properly emphasize the:

The relationship of a group of related species of animals (jati) to the genus to which the species belongs (varna).

Hope it will bring some clarity to you.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
RahulHGGmat wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994

Greetings of the day.

Is there any typo in the below question:-
What inference could reasonably be drawn from the second to last sentence of the passage?

Is it second to last tine of the passage or second last line of the passage?

There is no typo, I think the question is asking for whole of the passage with only exception of the first sentence of the passage.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:
My line of thinking is -

Official Explanation

4. The relationship of jati to varna is most comparable to which of the following relationships?

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

A species is a category of animal within a larger category of animals known as a genus, much as the jati is a category of caste within a larger category known as the varna. Also, the species/genus pair and the jati/varna pair both refer to divisions within related groups. The comparison is not perfect, because the jati/varna distinction is an artificially created one, while the distinction between species within a genus is a reflection of demonstrable biological differences, but the relationship provides the most accurate comparison among the answer choices. B is the best answer.

ANSWER: B
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
RahulHGGmat wrote:
AnirudhaS wrote:
My line of thinking is -

Hi AnirudhaS,

My thinking process for this question was that a deck of cards can be further divided into 4 parts: Heart, Ace, Diamond, and one other (as Varnas). The single type of card can be inferred as jati and the answer option does not specify the relation of card with a specific type of card whereas B properly emphasize the:

The relationship of a group of related species of animals (jati) to the genus to which the species belongs (varna).

Hope it will bring some clarity to you.

Thanks for your answer.
I do not think you can assume that you know deck of cards have 4 different suits - Spades, Diamonds, Hearts & Clubs
Because if you could, then it is a perfect comparison -
a) 4 different suits is equivalent to Vernas
b) each suit can be further divided into 13 sub-parts - Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10,....2 (equivalent to Jatis)

The reason why A is not the answer is the mere fact that the question asks is it comparable to each playing card to the whole deck. If it would have said the relationship between the suit (Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs) and deck of cards, this would have been a better comparison.

I did not get the answer correct because I was not sure about the relationship between genus and species. The following diagram helped, it might help someone else.
Attachments

Genus-Species-Relationship.JPG
Genus-Species-Relationship.JPG [ 50.6 KiB | Viewed 2835 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts