Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [85]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [24]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [15]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618557 [1]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Re: For years, the debate over public education reform has centered on fin [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
chiragr wrote:
For years, the debate over public education reform has centered on financing. Many claim that pouring more money into the public schools will improve student performance. However, the only way to fix our school systems is to inject new ideas and new approaches. Today the schools are organized to benefit their adult employees rather than the students.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument?

(A) Schools that have instituted “new approaches” attract the best performing students.

(B) Schools without outside playgrounds have lower levels of student performance than schools that do.

(C) Studies show that student performance corresponded most directly with the education of the students’ families.

(D) School employees, by an overwhelming margin, said that the system performed well.

(E) Researchers in education have shown that students from school districts with high per-capita spending tend to receive higher scores on standardized tests.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The correct answer is E.

The conclusion is that the only way to fix our school systems is to inject new ideas and approaches. The author rejects the notion that spending more money can improve education. We are asked to weaken this argument.

Choice A states only that students that perform highly already are attracted to schools with new approaches. This does not weaken the argument. Incorrect.

Choice B states that schools with playgrounds have better students than schools without them. This is irrelevant. Incorrect.

Choice C states that student performance corresponds closely with the level of their family's education. This does not address the issue of spending. Incorrect.

Choice D states that school employees are generally pleased with the school system. This does not address the core of the argument: that money does not
improve student performance.

Choice E states that students from schools that spend more money tend to perform better on standardized tests. This suggests that the claim that money
does not improve performance may be wrong. Correct.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [2]
Send PM
Re: For years, the debate over public education reform has centered on fin [#permalink]
Kudos
OA is E, Though I selected B and I was not debating between B and E,

I considered E weaker because if you analyze

"Researchers in education have shown that students from school districts with high per-capita spending tend to receive higher scores on standardized tests."

It does not say School has higher spending, higher per-capita income may mean nothing in cases such as school district has lower % of family income devoted to school. So basically we have to assume tha higher per-capita goes after school budget!

But if you look at B

Schools without outside playgrounds have lower levels of student performance than schools that do.

I can weakly infer, that there is one to one relationship between having plyaground and financial capabilities of school...

Though I believe this is bad question, because its tough to pick between B and E and I hope that in real exam we will have solid question compare to this one!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Outside Claim: Pouring more money into the public schools will improve student performance.

Author Claim: Schools are organized to benefit adult employees rather than the students.

Conclusion: the only way to fix our school systems is (1) inject new ideas (2) new approaches.

WEAKEN?

A. Schools that have instituted “new approaches” attract the best performing students.
strengthens outside claim
B. Schools without outside playgrounds have lower levels of student performance than schools that do.
second best answer? wrong because playgrounds don't benefit schools employees?
C. Studies show that student performance corresponded most directly with the education of the students’ families.
out of scope!
D. School employees, by an overwhelming margin, said that the system performed well.
out of scope
E. Researchers in education have shown that students from school districts with high per-capita spending tend to receive higher scores on standardized tests.
yes, weakens the claim that into pouring money has no use for performance!

I prefer (E) as well because it is the most obvious, but why exactly is (B) wrong? cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V40
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
My issue with the OA is that how can one assume that school districts with high per-capita spending spend more money on schools. I think high per-capita spending would refer to people in that district spending money and not the school authorities of that district.

Your thoughts are most welcome.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arundas wrote:
For years, the debate over public education reform has centered on financing. Many claim that pouring more money into the public schools will improve student performance. However, the only way to fix our school systems is to inject new ideas and new approaches. Today the schools are organized to benefit their adult employees rather than the students.

> Schools that have instituted “new approaches” attract the best performing students.
> Schools without outside playgrounds have lower levels of student performance than schools that do.
> Studies show that student performance corresponded most directly with the education of the students’ families.
> School employees, by an overwhelming margin, said that the system performed well.
> Researchers in education have shown that students from school districts with high per-capita spending tend to receive higher scores on standardized tests.

I have a couple of issues with this question. It asks us what 'most weakens the argument'. Well, there is no 'argument'. There is just a claim: "the only way to fix our school systems is to inject new ideas". That's not an argument, in the sense that word is used in logic (it's not a logical deduction from a set of premises); it's just an unsubstantiated opinion. It's hard to know how to weaken an 'argument' that isn't an argument in the first place.

I also dislike answer E here, though I prefer it to the other answer choices. First it's unclear just what is meant by 'per capita spending'; does this mean dollars spent per student, or tax dollars spent on education per person in the district? In any case, E contains a kind of overly simplistic logic that real GMAT CR questions normally ask you to attack. That higher spending districts get better test scores is not, in and of itself, reason to think that spending improves test scores. That's a correlation/causation fallacy. There may easily be, for example, sample bias at work here. Those districts which can afford to spend the most are very possibly the wealthiest districts, and that may be the reason for higher test scores; perhaps students in poorer districts need to work part-time jobs and can't focus on their studies, or perhaps those in poorer districts aren't properly nourished and that affects their academic performance, just to list two of a myriad of possibilities here. It may not be the educational spending itself that is producing the better results.

Those problems with the question aside, I don't see how any of the answers A-D could be good here, so E it is, but I don't care for the question at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Although it takes the liberty of unwarranted assumption, the correct answer choice is E. Mostly by process of elimination

The conclusion of the argument is "The ONLY WAY TO FIX school system is to pour new idea and new approach."

(A) Schools that have instituted “new approaches” attract the best performing students.
Wrong:- It actually kind of strengthen the argument

(B) Schools without outside playgrounds have lower levels of student performance than schools that do.
Wrong :- Irrelevant. We cannot simply assume that having a outside playground is some sort of new approach.

(C) Studies show that student performance corresponded most directly with the education of the students’ families.
Wrong:- Students and parents are not at trial here. The school system and ways to improve it are. So out of scope

(D) School employees, by an overwhelming margin, said that the system performed well.
Wrong:- For years there is debate about school reform (mentioned in passage) so there is a problem in the school system. It does not works well as school employees are claiming.

(E) Researchers in education have shown that students from school districts with high per-capita spending tend to receive higher scores on standardized tests.
Right :- Just because this is the only viable option left
I am not entirely happy with this option but on test day I will still take it over other options.
This option makes a lot of assumptions. Higher score on test means better schools. Where are these better school located- In district with high income. What can be inferred assumed- more money is spend on schools in these districts. Hence it can be shown that spending more money on the school system can actually improve school standards and performance. And hence it is proved that injecting new ideas is NOT THE ONLY WAY TO IMPROVE

ALL SAID AND DONE, NOT A VERY GOOD QUESTION.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Re-structuring the argument first :-
today the schools are organized to benefit their adult employees rather than the students
THEREFORE the only way to fix our school systems is to inject new ideas and new approaches

Conclusion :- "the only way to fix our school systems is to inject new ideas and new approaches"
Weaken :- "the only way to fix our school systems is not to inject new ideas and new approaches".{ It means there is something else as well apart from new ideas and approaches}.

Choice D states that school employees are generally pleased with the school system. This does not address the core of the argument: that money does not improve student performance.

Choice E states that students from schools that spend more money tend to perform better on standardized tests. This suggests that the claim that money does not improve performance may be wrong. Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
The conclusion here is money will not lead to improvements in public schools.
The premise is that schools are meant to benefit employees instead of students.

There are no facts and proofs given hence proof is needed here. And E provides this missing proof.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
For years, the debate over public education reform has centered on fin [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi experts VeritasKarishma GMATNinja mikemcgarry BKimball, I do not think that A is strengthening the conclusion. Let us have a look.

Our conclusion is that new ideas and new approaches are the only way to improve student performance. So do you agree that if I prove that new ideas / approaches do not improve students' performance, then I will weaken the argument?

Quote:

According to me, A directly attacks the causation between new approaches and student performance. It says that "new approaches" ATTRACT best performing students and NOT THAT it improves students' performance. Students are already performing at their best, so new approaches is not doing anything. It is merely attracting those students. So there definitely IS a correlation but new approaches do not cause the improvement.

Hence, A weakens my argument.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saman283 wrote:
Hi experts VeritasKarishma GMATNinja mikemcgarry BKimball, I do not think that A is strengthening the conclusion. Let us have a look.

Our conclusion is that new ideas and new approaches are the only way to improve student performance. So do you agree that if I prove that new ideas / approaches do not improve students' performance, then I will weaken the argument?

Quote:

According to me, A directly attacks the causation between new approaches and student performance. It says that "new approaches" ATTRACT best performing students and NOT THAT it improves students' performance. Students are already performing at their best, so new approaches is not doing anything. It is merely attracting those students. So there definitely IS a correlation but new approaches do not cause the improvement.

Hence, A weakens my argument.

saman283 - Actually (A) does nothing to the argument.

The argument is that pumping money does not improve student performance; new ideas do.

(A) says that new ideas attract good students. It doesn't matter the kind of students there are. Will new ideas "improve" their performance is the question. Will "bad" become "good" and "good" become "better" is the question.

To be fair, "school districts with high per-capita spending" in option (E) is ambiguous so I would have ignored this option too. Does it mean districts in which people spend more money per person? Or in which schools spend more money per student? Or in each person gives more money for schools?

Option (B) gives us that outside playground and student performance is correlated. Then new ideas may not be the ONLY way to improve performance. But is outside playground the CAUSE of better performance, cannot say. Also do finances control the availability of outside playground? Could be but not necessary.

Hence, I would struggle to pick an option here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
For years, the debate over public education reform has centered on fin [#permalink]
Whilst I understand that answer choice E is correct, I don't necessarily agree that answer choice A either strengthens or does nothing to the argument. I wanted to share my thoughts around why I think answer choice A could do something to weaken the argument.

If this were true, then schools would attract the best performing students. However, attracting the best performing students is not the same as reforming public education (public education reform is the aim outlined in the argument). This answer choice implies that "new approaches" may not achieve the desired outcome of public education reform and so it somewhat, though not completely, weakens the argument. I say "somewhat" because this answer choice doesn't rule out the possibility that "new approaches" could do more than just attract the best performing students, and potentially reform public education, but this isn't clearly stated.

It would be good to get other people's thoughts on this...
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts