Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1380
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Schools: EDHEC (A$)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: For years, U.S. employers have counted on a steady flow of labor from [#permalink]
David8100 wrote:
soumya170293 wrote:
Would anyone please explain the reason for the question 2 to eliminate A as the potential answer ?
Both A and B may be right and both may be wrong also by the possibility of what has not been told in the option choices ..

So how to eliminate this kind of trap ?

These workers, many of whom leave economically depressed villages in the Mexican interior, are often more than willing to work for wages well below both the U.S. minimum wage and the poverty line.
The text only states the Mexican workers receive the unfair payment that is under the minimum wage.
There is no evidence to support A that many American citizens get the payment that above or equal to.
A. Most of these employers pay Mexican immigrants less money than they pay American citizens.
B. Some of these employers violate wage laws.

I pick the answer A reading this text line.
My reasoning is that the fact that they are willing to work for extremely low wages does not imply that there are employers that pay them in such way.
I think that A is better because implies that as the mexican workers are so "desperate" maybe they can accept the minimum, but we cannot say for certain that some employers violate the law.

These are only my 2 cents :hurt:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: For years, U.S. employers have counted on a steady flow of labor from [#permalink]
souvik101990, Skywalker18,

I am not clear on Qs 2. The reason I did not mark B is because in the passage it was mentioned that workers are willing to work at wage less than minimum wage. It did not mention that the companies are paying less than minimum wage. It just mentioned the pay is less.

Could you please help me understand the error in my analysis?

"For years, U.S. employers have counted on a steady flow of labor from Mexico willing to accept low-skilled, low paying jobs. These workers, many of whom leave economically depressed villages in the Mexican interior, are often more than willing to work for wages well below both the U.S. minimum wage and the poverty line"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Extra Question:
The passage provides evidence to address:
(A) how many children, on average, Mexican women have today
(B) how a smaller average family size in Mexico would likely impact the number of people who migrate to another country in search of work
(C) why the flow of Mexican immigrants to the United States began to diminish
(D) the future impact of Mexico’s family planning campaign on the Mexican middle class
(E) the extent of the disparity that exists between the wealthy elite and those who live in poverty

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Sajjad1994 bm2201

Another question from this passage :

The passage provides evidence to address

(B) how a smaller average family size in Mexico would likely impact the number of people who migrate to another country in search of work

(D) the future impact of Mexico’s family planning campaign on the Mexican middle class

(E) the extent of the disparity that exists between the wealthy elite and those who live in poverty

Answer (B)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
altairahmad wrote:
Sajjad1994 bm2201

Another question from this passage :

The passage provides evidence to address

Answer (B)

Hi altairahmad,

Done, Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Hope you are doing well.

I have attempted this passage and am not sure whether my answers are correct are not.

I have checked all the posts on this topic and most of them suggest different answers for the same question.

Hence, I would request you to confirm me the correct answers to all the questions along with the reason.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
RahulHGGmat wrote:
Hi Experts,

Hope you are doing well.

I have attempted this passage and am not sure whether my answers are correct are not.

I have checked all the posts on this topic and most of them suggest different answers for the same question.

Hence, I would request you to confirm me the correct answers to all the questions along with the reason.

Hi RahulHGGmat,

The answers to all the questions posted currently are correct, its just that earlier the questions had a different order, which is why now since the order has changed and some questions have been added/removed, you see the questions and the post in the different order.

Kindly refer the below post for the Questions and Official Explanations. Let me know if you still have doubts.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/film-scholars-agree-that-hollywood-portrayals-of-america-at-war-follow-145037.html#p1162870
https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-years-u-s-employers-have-counted-on-a-steady-flow-of-labor-from-104161.html#p1128959

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
OE for question number 4
thanx !
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Anshuman0902 wrote:
OE for question number 4
thanx !

Hi Anshuman0902,

Please refer the OE for Question 4 here, is mentioned as Question 2 in the below link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/film-scholars-agree-that-hollywood-portrayals-of-america-at-war-follow-145037.html#p1162870

Let me know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
any explanation for Q 5?

seems very tricky
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
In Q4, can someone explain why option B is correct?

The passage mentions that the Mexican workers are 'willing' to work for wages below the minimum wage but there is no evidence to suggest that there are actually some workers who work for wages below the minimum wage.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

4. Which of the following is most strongly suggested about U.S. employers of Mexican immigrants?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

Correct answers to “inference” questions will not be stated explicitly in the passage; nevertheless, the information must be true according to information given somewhere in the passage. Wrong answers will often go “too far,” asserting something that might be plausible in the real world but is not directly supported by any specific information given in the passage. The first paragraph mentions United States employers, so the answer should be supported by some information in this paragraph.

(A) No information is provided concerning the wages paid to legal versus illegal Mexican immigrants. The passage discusses Mexican immigrants in general; it never breaks the overall immigrant pool down into legal versus illegal groups.

(B) CORRECT. If some of these immigrant workers are working for wages “well below the U.S. minimum wage,” their American employers must either be exempt from or be violating wage laws (i.e. paying wages below what the U.S. minimum wage requires).

(C) The passage does not suggest that without labor from Mexico these employers will be forced to close. This answer is both too predictive and outside the scope of the argument.

(D) It is likely true in the real world that a company is interested in lowering it costs and increasing its profits. This passage, however, does not provide information about the motivation of the U.S. employers when hiring Mexican immigrants.

(E) The passage suggests nothing about whom employers prefer to hire for low-wage jobs. It merely indicates that some employers do hire immigrants for low-paying jobs.

Answer: B

rohan2029 wrote:

The passage mentions that the Mexican workers are 'willing' to work for wages below the minimum wage but there is no evidence to suggest that there are actually some workers who work for wages below the minimum wage.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

4. Which of the following is most strongly suggested about U.S. employers of Mexican immigrants?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

Correct answers to “inference” questions will not be stated explicitly in the passage; nevertheless, the information must be true according to information given somewhere in the passage. Wrong answers will often go “too far,” asserting something that might be plausible in the real world but is not directly supported by any specific information given in the passage. The first paragraph mentions United States employers, so the answer should be supported by some information in this paragraph.

(A) No information is provided concerning the wages paid to legal versus illegal Mexican immigrants. The passage discusses Mexican immigrants in general; it never breaks the overall immigrant pool down into legal versus illegal groups.

(B) CORRECT. If some of these immigrant workers are working for wages “well below the U.S. minimum wage,” their American employers must either be exempt from or be violating wage laws (i.e. paying wages below what the U.S. minimum wage requires).

(C) The passage does not suggest that without labor from Mexico these employers will be forced to close. This answer is both too predictive and outside the scope of the argument.

(D) It is likely true in the real world that a company is interested in lowering it costs and increasing its profits. This passage, however, does not provide information about the motivation of the U.S. employers when hiring Mexican immigrants.

(E) The passage suggests nothing about whom employers prefer to hire for low-wage jobs. It merely indicates that some employers do hire immigrants for low-paying jobs.

Answer: B

rohan2029 wrote:

Hey, thank you for the reply Sajjad.
But I am still confused as to why the answer explanation assumes that there are some workers who work for wages below the minimum wage. The passage does not explicitly state that anywhere.
GMATNinja Sajjad1994
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [0]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohan2029 wrote:
Hey, thank you for the reply Sajjad.
But I am still confused as to why the answer explanation assumes that there are some workers who work for wages below the minimum wage. The passage does not explicitly state that anywhere.
GMATNinja Sajjad1994

Hi rohan2029

First of all, for an inference question, there is no need for something inferable to be explicitly mentioned in the passage, it may or may not be explicitly mentioned in the passage.

No coming to you question, it is clearly mentioned in paragraph 1 that:

many of whom leave economically depressed villages in the Mexican interior, are often more than willing to work for wages well below both the U.S.

Here is the complete paragraph 1:

For years, U.S. employers have counted on a steady flow of labor from Mexico willing to accept low-skilled, low paying jobs. These workers, many of whom leave economically depressed villages in the Mexican interior, are often more than willing to work for wages well below both the U.S. minimum wage and the poverty line. However, thanks to a dramatic demographic shift currently taking place in Mexico, the seemingly inexhaustible supply of workers migrating from Mexico to the United States might one day greatly diminish if not cease. Predictions of such a drastic decrease in the number of Mexican immigrants, both legal and illegal, are driven by Mexico’s rapidly diminishing population growth.

See the bold underlined text above.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Sajjad,
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

Yeah, the passage states that the Mexican workers are more than 'willing' to work but it does not state that there actually are some workers who are working for less than the minimum wage. Option B says that some US employers are either exempt from wage laws or violate them. For this inference to be true, we need to assume that there actually are some Mexican workers who get paid less than the minimum wage. But the passage does not give us enough information to make this assumption. There could be a situation where though the workers are willing to work for less than the minimum wage, the employers insist on paying them the minimum wage.

Am I missing something with my reasoning?

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja Sajjad1994 souvik101990 Skywalker18
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohan2029 wrote:
Hey Sajjad,
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

Yeah, the passage states that the Mexican workers are more than 'willing' to work but it does not state that there actually are some workers who are working for less than the minimum wage. Option B says that some US employers are either exempt from wage laws or violate them. For this inference to be true, we need to assume that there actually are some Mexican workers who get paid less than the minimum wage. But the passage does not give us enough information to make this assumption. There could be a situation where though the workers are willing to work for less than the minimum wage, the employers insist on paying them the minimum wage.

Am I missing something with my reasoning?

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja Sajjad1994 souvik101990 Skywalker18

A. Most of these employers pay illegal Mexican immigrants less money than they pay legal Mexican immigrants.
B. Some of these employers either violate or are exempt from wage laws.
C. Without Mexican immigrants, some of these employers would be forced to close their businesses.
D. Most of these companies employ Mexican immigrants in order to lower their costs and, therefore, increase their profits.
E. The majority of these employers prefer to hire immigrants for low-paying jobs rather than U.S. citizens.

From the passage:
For years, U.S. employers have counted on a steady flow of labor from Mexico willing to accept low-skilled, low paying jobs. These workers, many of whom leave economically depressed villages in the Mexican interior, are often more than willing to work for wages well below both the U.S. minimum wage and the poverty line.

US employers have counted on these people who are willing to work for wages below US minimum wage. So US employers have employed them at the low wages. This implies that some of these employers either violate or are exempt from wage laws.

Besides, note that that question asks for "which of the following is most strongly suggested ..."
It is something that is strongly suggested, not proved without doubt. Hence the small element of doubt is taken care of.

Answer (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Can someone explain Question 6?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts