Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Forbes: It's better to go to Tier 2 Bschool than Tier 1? [#permalink]
ninkorn wrote:
If this is the case, why not go to Ross, Booth, or Kellogg? How is it better going to B-Level school like Wisconsin?

Maybe Forbes is implying that besides H/S/W (schools mentioned in the article), all other schools are b-level...

I think Forbes is trying to compete with BW to see who can write more ludicrous article for online traffic.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
If this is the case, why not go to Ross, Booth, or Kellogg? How is it better going to B-Level school like Wisconsin?

Quote:
At the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business, nearly 64% of the class stays in the Midwest, heading for companies like General Mills (nyse: GIS - news - people ) in Minneapolis and Procter & Gamble (nyse: PG - news - people ) in Cincinnati, which continue to need new hires in brand management and marketing.

"Companies in the Midwest are certainly affected, but many are still hiring," says Blair Sanford, director of the M.B.A. career center at the Wisconsin school. "The students who want to go to banks on the East Coast are the ones we're working harder to get conversations for."

I think they are trying to make the point that people who may not be able to gain admission to Ross, Booth, Kellogg, or top b-schools in general, are not faring as badly now, relative to those who are graduating from top schools. I think most people would agree, all things being equal (expenses, career goals, regional preference, etc.), you are still better off going to the more prestigious schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Tuck
 Q45  V40
Send PM
Because most of the well paid jobs have disappeared, is better to go to a school where companies offer less paid jobs... Impressive logic!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
That article seems kinda silly doesn't?

Of course a school that normally feeds into extremely competitive IB jobs is having a harder time right now than one that feeds into industries that haven't been as badly affected by the economy.

But to draw the conclusion that you're worse off at a high ranked school? Doesn't really make sense. I think you could claim that the difference between an MBA from a top ranked school vs. a regional school has narrowed (in terms of employment prospects).

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
atlmba2009 wrote:
ninkorn wrote:

I think they are trying to make the point that people who may not be able to gain admission to Ross, Booth, Kellogg, or top b-schools in general, are not faring as badly now, relative to those who are graduating from top schools. I think most people would agree, all things being equal (expenses, career goals, regional preference, etc.), you are still better off going to the more prestigious schools.

The way I interpreted the article was more that people who attend top schools are more likely to want to go into banking or consulting, so the economy is making people rethink those plans. People who go to Rice or UW weren't expecting that dream job at Goldman or McKinsey, so there's been less disruption. From the article:

Quote:
Not that M.B.A. holders from the name-brand schools are going without work. With their first-choice jobs gone, they're finding there are plenty of smaller employers eager to hire them. They're just not starting careers as rich or as glamorous as they once expected. They're going to places they wouldn't have taken a second look at in the past.

It's not that the article is saying it's better to be at a tier 2 school than a tier 1 school, just that people from tier 2 schools are still getting jobs. I'm fairly sure if you go to Kellogg you will have no problem competing against the UW students for that brand management job at P&G or General Mills.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Honestly, there is a certain amount of sense in this article, though a lot of people here aren't really going to see it. It is more about expectations versus outcomes. I think it won't really be saying that lowering your expectations is better, but those at lower tier schools are less likely to see their expectations damaged.

There is a huge amount of realism that happens during first year at business school, you just are yet to see it. It happens to everyone, and can't be prescribed in advance.

er - like jerz says.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
Nowhere in this article did they say you are better going off to a "b-list" school than an "a-list" program. All they are saying is that people currently in those b-list schools are more likely to be on track to still get the job they had originally hoped for upon entering the school, whereas a-list program students aren't finding it as easy to find the job they expected upon graduating their program. Pretty much this is a function of your expectation as to what your school's brand name/education would bring you after graduation. Makes sense to me.

***EDIT***

Typed my response as jerz and 3under were typing theres apparently. I agree with both of them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Honestly, there is a certain amount of sense in this article, though a lot of people here aren't really going to see it. It is more about expectations versus outcomes. I think it won't really be saying that lowering your expectations is better, but those at lower tier schools are less likely to see their expectations damaged.

There is a huge amount of realism that happens during first year at business school, you just are yet to see it. It happens to everyone, and can't be prescribed in advance.

I think that's true, although it makes the article a bit absurd. It's essentially saying, "People who have different priorities and ambitions than a Tier 1 b-school applicant are happier than Tier 1 b-school applicants right now because their expectations are more realistic." Most people with unrealistic career goals won't adapt them until they get slapped with reality, so an article like this is not going to be that useful. And for those of us with more realistic (some would say less ambitious) life goals, at best this article is just a temptation to feel superior to other people, which is not very helpful. :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Well, the alternative is an article saying that the Tier 1 schools, their major advertisers, revenue generators and publicity sources - are going to get hammered for the level of jobs they will get it the next few years compared to what they have talked of for the past five or so years.

I think they phrased it in the safest way possible to not damage relationships.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I think schools like that do have something going for them. They need to place less students and they can do it at a smaller cost to the employers. WI has only like 10 or so students in their brand management program. So if they can place on at P&G, one at Kraft, one at General Mills, etc they're done.
GMAT Club Bot