It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 14:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2013, 22:29
pqhai wrote:
honchos wrote:
This is OG13 Q81

Fossils is Plural, hence B C and E can be eliminated immediately subject verb agreement issue.

D seems to be correct, But can some faculty give in depth explanation WHY A is wrong D is correct.

Hi honchos.

A is wrong because of the comma.

A) Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
The green part is modifier that should be blocked off both sides by commas. However, there is only a comma on the right, not on the left. Grammatically, this is wrong structure.

D). sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
The modifier is blocked off perfectly both sides by two commas. Hence, D is a correct sentence.

Hope it's clear.

Noted, I still believe there is more grammatical flaws here in A. However i have noted your explanation, that is quite impressive.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 298

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3608 [1], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2013, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
honchos wrote:
pqhai wrote:
honchos wrote:
This is OG13 Q81

Fossils is Plural, hence B C and E can be eliminated immediately subject verb agreement issue.

D seems to be correct, But can some faculty give in depth explanation WHY A is wrong D is correct.

Hi honchos.

A is wrong because of the comma.

A) Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
The green part is modifier that should be blocked off both sides by commas. However, there is only a comma on the right, not on the left. Grammatically, this is wrong structure.

D). sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
The modifier is blocked off perfectly both sides by two commas. Hence, D is a correct sentence.

Hope it's clear.

Noted, I still believe there is more grammatical flaws here in A. However i have noted your explanation, that is quite impressive.

I want to elaborate more.

(1) If a modifier is blocked off by commas --> there must be two commas on both sides.
For example: The new car, designed by BMW and manufactured by Ford, is super expensive.

(2) If a modifier is NOT blocked off by commas --> No commas on both sides.
For example: The SARS virus expanding over Asia in November 2002 was first originated in Hongkong.

Hope it's clear now.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3608 [1], given: 123

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 308 [2], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2013, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
honchos wrote:
pqhai wrote:

There is more to A that's wrong. When a section of a sentence is set off by commas, as is "and dated" in version A, that section of the sentence is unnecessary. That is, the sentence should read logically and grammatically with the isolated section excised. Try that with (A)

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

You get nonsense! How did fossils make the sloth the earliest known mammal? The dating is what made it the earliest known mammal, and (D) makes that logical connection clear, unlike (A).

Hope this helps!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Kudos [?]: 308 [2], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

Schools: INSEAD Jan '15
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2014, 14:58
Another quick way / split method:

a) Eliminate A, C and E because "... the earliest mammal of the Greater Antilles islands" is incorrect. It should be the "... mammal on the... XX islands"

b) Between B and D, difference lies in the singular/plural choice of "Fossils". Since "Fossils" is plural, we will require "have been dated" instead of "has been dated". B also have the problem of ambiguity with "they" with no Antecedent. B therefore can be eliminated, leaving "E" the only best choice in the 5 given options.

If I could rewrite the sentence, I probably will try to eliminate the 2 commas in option D (which made it a little nervous choosing it, but is the only correct answer by POE)

Hope this helps.

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.
A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2014, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
russ9 wrote:
Can someone please explain why "WAS dated" is wrong. Wasn't the fossil dated in the past? - Referring to choice E.

Hi russ9,

Let’s first understand the usage of the two tenses.

The simple past tense is used to represent an event/action that happened in the past and has no effect in the present time.

The present perfect tense is used to represent an event/action that started at some point of time in the past and
1. either has continued till now
2. or ended in the past but its effect is still visible in the present.

Now, in the given sentence what is the result or effect of the fact that the fossils have been dated/was dated at 34 million years old.

Effect: It makes the sloth the earliest known mammal on the Greater Antilles islands.

Is this effect still visible in the present?
Yes, so the present perfect tense is correctly used here.

If we consider the simple past tense as the correct answer in this option then the effect won’t be visible in the present. In that case the meaning of the sentence becomes that when these fossils were dated at 34 million years old, at that point of the time the sloth was the earliest known mammal on the Greater Antilles islands.

Let’s understand this with one more official question. I have taken this question from OG-13 with the correct option.

• Rock samples taken from the remains of an asteroid about twice the size of the 6-mile-wide asteroid
o that eradicated the dinosaurs
• have been dated at 3.47 billion years old
• and thus are evidence of the earliest known asteroid impact on Earth.

In this case the present perfect tense (have been dated) is used because its effect (and thus are evidence of…..) is visible in the present.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 2

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 23:20
Hi e-gmat,

Hi Experts,

Source: Explanation links provided under OG quiz SV.

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles Islands.

Isn't grammatically in this choice (A) "Found" modifies "SLOTH" when meaning wise it should modify "FOSSILS".

Sloth found and dated.

(D) sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on

Per this sentence also "found" structurally seems to modify "SLOTH", when meaning wise it should modify "FOSSILS".

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 02:55

A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of
Usage"and" shows \\sm and IC both are missing + "it" has no reference

B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on
"that" refers to sloth which is not a subject + "they" doesn't have a reference + Usage of "has been" is wrong must be have been + "it" has no reference.

C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of
Same as B

D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
Correct

E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of
Which refers to "sloth" not to the subject hence wrong

Hence D
Ans

Regards
SG

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 21

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 20:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [1], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 01:46
This post received
KUDOS

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 132 [1], given: 57

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 21:36
g3lo18 wrote:
I thought a verb-ed modifier must modifier the preceding noun entity.

Isn't found a past tense verb-ed modifier?

Hi g3lo18, found is a past participle. Past participles have a bit of a flexibility in terms of what they modify: They can modify the Noun or the Noun-Phrase (whichever makes sense) immediately before the participle.

There are quite a few official examples (other than this one) that corroborate this point. I am listing a few:

An OG 13 question:

In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

- made modifies observation (and not electric current)

An OG 12 question:

Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation’s third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.

- surpassed modifies nation’s third leading cause (and not death)

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of Participial Phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 13

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 22:46
A super easy question
We don't need grammar and rules and stuff to get the correct answer (at least for this question). What we need is a little common sense.
Lets work on this problem

So the arm of a sloth was found. and thus Sloth was designated the earliest known mammal.
But in the sentence , the subject of the sentence is "the arm" not the "Sloth" himself

So the correct option must remove this discrepancy by using the word "Sloth" while addressing information about sloth being the earliest mammal.

OPTION A,B,C HAVE INCORRECT MEANING BECAUSE OF THE PRONOUN "IT". "IT" MAKES IT SEEMS THAT ARM OF THE SLOTH WAS THE EARLIEST MAMMAL AND NOT THE SLOTH

D AND E are possible answer

E is incorrect because it talks about three chronological actions in the past (first found, then dated and then finally declared the oldest) but just uses simple past for all three actions.
Also "made" is incorrect meaning wise. Sloth is still the oldest mammal. So use of past simple "Made" is wrong for an action that is still persisting.

D remains and is the correct answer

trainspotting wrote:
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years
old, made it the earliest known mammal of
the Greater Antilles islands.

A. sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the
earliest known mammal of
B. sloth, that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years
old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on
C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old,
making this the earliest known mammal of
D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old,
making the sloth the earliest known mammal on
E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old,
made the sloth the earliest known mammal of

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 10:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 01:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello everyone,
I still have problems to understand the pronoun - one antecedent issue in this setence. As far as i know:

- Sentences should convey the intended meaning without any ambiguity.. Thus, each pronoun must refer to one and only one antecedent . If there are sentences with more than one pronoun then the reader is left confused about the sense.

- The pronoun-anticedent pair must make sense. Pronouns can only refer to nouns, if they refer to any other part of the sentence the usage is considered incorrect.

Lets analyse the first option:

So here are my questions:
A noun can also be included into a prepositonal phrase, right?

Fossils of the arm of a sloth ...

Since "of" is a prepositonal phrase marker, there are two different nouns available: "the arm" and "a sloth". Thus, it is not clear without any ambiguity what "it" refers to? This ambiguity is solved in answer option D by explicity using "the sloth"?

I would be deeply grateful if someone could help me with that issue.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 05:31
CAN ANYONE HELP ME REINFORCE SPLIT3). THIS IS NEW KNOWLEDGE FOR ME!

SPLIT1) SVA. THE SUBJECT IS FOSSILS, THE VERB WILL HAVE TO BE SINGULAR. B, C AND E ARE OUT. "HAVE BEEN DATED" IS PLURAL THAT'S WHY D STAYS IN

SPLIT2) THE SINGULAR PRONOUN "IT" NEEDS TO REFER TO THE PRIOR NOUN IN THE SENTENCE, IN THIS CASE THE PRIOR NOUN IS PLURAL "FOSSILS", THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS FOR A TO BE WRONG. A IS OUT.

SPLIT3) THE PRONOUN "IT" MUST REFER TO A "FREE ANTECEDENT". THE WORDS "OF THE ARM" AND "OF A SLOTH" ARE PREPOSITIONAL PHRASES SO "IT" CANNOT REFER TO ARM OR SLOTH. A IS OUT.

SPLIT4) LOGIC BEHIND PARALLELISM. IN A YOU ARE BEING TOLD THAT THE SLOTH WAS FOUND IN PUERTO RICO AND DATED 34M YEARS OLD. FOUND + DATED = PARALLEL. BUT THAT FACT THAT THE SLOTH WAS FOUND IN PUERTO RICO IS A DETAIL, SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD SEE IN COMMA BRACKETS. THE FOSSIL DATE OF 34 MILLION YEARS OLD IS THE MAIN IDEA BUT YET IT IS PRESENTED AS PARALLEL WITH A DETAIL INFORMATION. THAT IS WEIRD. OPTION D CLARIFIES THIS ISSUE. A IS OUT.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2044 [0], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 13:12
Expert's post
Top Contributor
KARISHMA315, the issue here is that in (B), (C), and (E), we have the noun modifiers ("relative pronouns", if you like grammar jargon) "which" and "that." With rare exceptions, these modifiers will point to the immediately preceding noun. So if we look at (B), (C), and (E) very strictly and literally, the sentences are saying that the sloth was found. And that doesn't make sense, unless you think that sloths live for millions of years. :)

When participles (often an "-ed" or "-ing" word, such as "found" or "making" or "including") are used as modifiers -- and that's exactly what "found" is doing in (A) and (D) -- they're much more forgiving in terms of their placement. It's fine for the participle "found" to modify the entire phrase that precedes it. So the phrase beginning with "found" can modify "fossils of the arm of a sloth", and not necessarily just the sloth.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2044 [0], given: 465

Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 18:03
Merged topics. please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 18:25

--> it clearly and truly modidies sloth. The issue in this sentence is meaning: that fossils have been dated at 34 million years old makes the sloth the earliest known mammal, not fossils makes the sloth the earliest known mammal.

--> correct.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 275

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 05:01

Meaning:
The sentence is talking about fossils of a sloth's arm. This sloth was found in Puerto Rico in 1991. The fossils that have been found are 34 million years old and this makes the sloth earliest known mammal of some islands.

Error:
1) Verb-ed modifier modifies the immediate preceding noun and thus 'found' modifies sloth and thus presents more information about the sloth.
Also how can we know if a verb-ed word is a modifier or a verb?
Simply ask the question who is the subject of this verb and is this subject REALLY PERFORMING the task?
In this sentence, sloth did not found itself and thus found is a verb-ed modifier.

2) The sentence tries to show that there are two verbs of the subject fossils by connecting two verbs with 'and' and this is incorrect.
Also we use comma if a list contains more than two items.
A,B, and C

Also comma+and (FANBOYS) connect two independent clauses but in this sentence what follows this structure is not an independent clause.

3) Use of pronoun 'it' is kind of okay because 'it' can refer to only sloth here (logically). If 'it' refers to fossils, the sentence won't make sense.
Let's replace 'it' with fossils, we get:
made fossils the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

Can fossils be the earliest known mammal? According to me, it really does not make sense.

Let's look at the choices:
Incorrect

'they' found. Who found? 'They' does not have an antecedent.
The subject 'fossils' is plural and thus does not agree with singular verb 'has been dated'.

Same subject verb error

The use of present perfect tense 'have been dated' shows a fact that is true in the current scenario as well.
Also the 'ing' modifier: making the sloth............clearly presents a result of the preceding clause.

An 'ing' modifier either presents the result of the preceding clause or modifies the action of the preceding clause.
Correct choice
Same subject verb error.
Also 'made the sloth.....' shows that it is no more true and the sloth is no more the earliest known mammal on.......

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 275

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Erasmus '18
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 23:23
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old,
made it the earliest known mammal
of the Greater Antilles islands.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 21:39
daagh wrote:
Let us first clear up a few things. This is not a test of the usage of ‘which’ or ‘that’. GMAT doesn’t test that aspect any more as it would not like to indulge in this controversial usage.

This is a clearly test of SV agreement, tense and idiom. What is the verb and what is its subject? Made is the verb and what made it the earliest mammals? The fossils made it (it stands for the sloth) because only fossils are dated and not any other thing. So the subject is the plural fossils and let us find the matching verb with a proper number and tense.

A. Sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of …. ‘Made it’ is wrong tense to use for something that was initiated in the past, and which remains even today so. The right tense should be the present perfect ‘have made’. Mammals of is unidiomatic

B. sloth that they found in Puerto Rico in 1991, has been dated at 34 million years old, thus making it the earliest mammal known on … Fossils …. Has been dated – S-V mis - match.

C. sloth that was found in Puerto Rico in 1991 was dated at 34 million years old, making this the earliest known mammal of …… Fossils … was dated –S-V mis-match and use of past tense which is wrong.

D. sloth, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, have been dated at 34 million years old, making the sloth the earliest known mammal on……. Correct number agreement, proper tense usage and right idiom – the perfect choice

E. sloth which, found in Puerto Rico in 1991, was dated at 34 million years old, made the sloth the earliest known mammal of….. Fossils was dated SV mis - match , wrong tense and wrong idiom

Can someone help me clarify my following doubts:
option c is the usage of 'this' correct?
option e is the usage of 'which' correct? if so, what does it refer to? usually which is preceded by comma. However, in this sentence comma is preceded by which. How does this change the meaning?

Thanks for your time!!!

"You can help me achieve my goal by sharing your knowledge"

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Re: Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991,   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2017, 21:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap