It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [2], given: 20

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:36) correct 53% (01:28) wrong based on 287 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century.

A)Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

B)Fought on 22 August 1485, The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century- was won by the Lancastrians

C)Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses- the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

D)The Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, fought on 22 August 1485, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

E)The Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field fought on 22 August 1485; it was the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses- the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos-----> If my post was Helpful

Last edited by VyshakhR1995 on 24 Apr 2017, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 103 [1], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century.

A. Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

B. Fought on 22 August 1485, The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century- was won by the Lancastrians

C. Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses- the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

D. The Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, fought on 22 August 1485, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

E. The Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field fought on 22 August 1485; it was the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses- the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

I think the simplest way to look for the answer in this question would be to look the best fit for the last part of the line "the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century"

In options A,B,C and D, the line "the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century" is an example of run on sentence. E corrects this and separates 2 major parts of the line using ';'.

Hence, E will be the answer.

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 103 [1], given: 10

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 00:45
A and C are instant elimination

Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians .......
cannot modify Lancastrians

B and D are run on sentences

E is best

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 11:23
Hello expert,

Why option b is not correct?
Is it because there 2 additional information phrases between "battle of Bosworth field" and its verb?

2 additional information ( means "the last significant battle...." and "the civil war between the house of lancaster and ......"

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 12:03
VKat wrote:
Hello expert,

Is it because there 2 additional information phrases between "battle of Bosworth field" and its verb?

2 additional information ( means "the last significant battle...." and "the civil war between the house of lancaster and ......"

I don't think there is a modifier error in B.I think construction in E is much better(active) compared to that of B(passive)

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 20

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3510 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 01:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
VKat wrote:
Hello expert,

I do not think that the reason you stated is sufficiently significant to eliminate an answer. Moreover passive construction is also not a solid reason to eliminate an option. The author of this question probably considers using an appositive (" the civil war between...) within another appositive ("the last significant battle ...") awkward, though I do not see a reason why it should be.

Moreover using a hyphen instead of a comma to separate a modifier (in both options B and E) is not generally observed in GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 3510 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 01:39
VyshakhR1995 wrote:

IMO (E) is the answer.

A)Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century - The Lancastrians was not fought on 22 August, 1985 but the Battle of Bosworth was.

B)Fought on 22 August 1485, The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century- was won by the Lancastrians - Run on sentence.

C)Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses- the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century - The Lancastrians was not fought on 22 August, 1985 but the Battle of Bosworth was.

D)The Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, fought on 22 August 1485, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century- run on sentence without any pause.

E)The Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field fought on 22 August 1485; it was the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses- the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century
- the semicolon clearly indicates two independent clauses stating the meaning clearly.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 05:47
In Answer "E", I felt that the use of "it" after the semicolon was ambiguous. The two nouns in the preceding clause are "Lancastrians" and "Battle". Although it's logical that "it" would refer to battle, is there a grammar rule that would allows us to definitely say that "it" points to "battle"?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 11:20
Can someone please explain how is Option (B) a run on sentence.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 235

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 21:16

A)Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

B)Fought on 22 August 1485, The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century- was won by the Lancastrians

C)Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field- the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses- the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

D)The Lancastrians won The Battle of Bosworth Field, fought on 22 August 1485, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war between the House of Lancaster and the House of York that raged across England in the latter half of the 15th century

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 235

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 23:08
Expert @sayantanc2k please help me with this.
I did choose correct answer (E) but have a concern regarding a way to eliminate (A), (C) and (D) that above users did not mention.
As far as I'm concerned, it should be [the battle is fought], rather than [the Lancastrians/humans is fought]. That's why I eliminated 3 above choices.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1235 [1], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@Lucy_Phuong, you're right, but that objection has been made above. eddy8700 and leanhdung eliminated A and C for this reason. We can't eliminate D this way, though, since in that case "fought" modifies "battle."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 47

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 20:42
Are some of these actually run-on sentences?If yes, how?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 47

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 22:13
DmitryFarber wrote:
@Lucy_Phuong, you're right, but that objection has been made above. eddy8700 and leanhdung eliminated A and C for this reason. We can't eliminate D this way, though, since in that case "fought" modifies "battle."

Oh yes I see now. I just didn't understand their brief explanation. Thank you. +1 kudos

Btw, could you please confirm the following:
in (D), "fought on 22 August 1485, the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses" includes 2 modifiers modifying "The Battle of Bosworth Field". But when the sentence is arranged this way, it seems that the second modifier modifies "22 August 1485", right?

Also, I have a question (I don't question the correct answer. I just wanna further understand this issue):
If we add "which was" before "fought on..." and a word "and" between 2 modifiers), will option (D) be okay?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 22:31
jy295 wrote:
In Answer "E", I felt that the use of "it" after the semicolon was ambiguous. The two nouns in the preceding clause are "Lancastrians" and "Battle". Although it's logical that "it" would refer to battle, is there a grammar rule that would allows us to definitely say that "it" points to "battle"?

I have this same doubt, any explanation for this? A semicolon should separate 2 independent clauses but does "it" after the semicolon not make the 2nd clause a dependent clause?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 00:54
This post received
KUDOS
ankitsaroha wrote:
jy295 wrote:

I have this same doubt, any explanation for this? A semicolon should separate 2 independent clauses but does "it" after the semicolon not make the 2nd clause a dependent clause?

It after the semicolon does not make the second clause a dependent one.
It can be a part of independent clause.

It can act as a placeholder.

Eg : she made it possible for us to attend the movie

Pronouns can refer to objects from preceding clause too as long as there is no ambiguity and meaning is clear.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Lucy, we could try to fix up D as you suggest, although we'd need to say "and was the last significant battle." It's just a lot of modifiers to stack together. Going for two full independent clauses in E makes it easier to cram in all that content. Basically, we have too much here for one sentence, and by adding a semicolon we're essentially getting a second sentence.

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 11:36
Please explain how option b is a run on sentence?

Thanks

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
B

Kudos [?]: 1235 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 21:29
B isn't a run-on sentence. The original authors of this q seem to think that the passive voice makes B more convoluted, but I'm not sure how serious a problem that is.

Looking back, E also has some problems. By not placing a comma before "fought on 22 August," it almost seems like we are trying to narrow down *which* Battle of Bosworth Field we are talking about. We'd probably be better off saying "Field; fought on 22 August, 1485, it was . . . "

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1235 [0], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
OE

Step 1: Identifying What Is Tested

Comparing answer options, we can notice that there are a number of modifiers that refer to “The Battle of Bosworth Field”. The difference in the options seems to be in the ordering of these modifiers. Also, one of the options is in passive voice and another of the options splits the sentence into two run-on sentences.

Step 2: Understanding the Sentence

The first modifier “Fought on 22 August 1845” should refer to “The Battle of Bosworth Field”. However, in some options, the modifier has been placed next to “the Lancastrians”.
In some options, when the modifiers are all listed together, it is not clear whether the various phrases are descriptions of one battle or whether each is describing a different battle. There should be no ambiguity in the meaning of the sentence.

Step 3: Eliminating Options

Choices (A) and (C) can be eliminated because the modifier “Fought on 22 August 1845” has been placed next to “the Lancastrians”.
Choice (D) lists the various descriptions of the battle one after another. Starting with “the last significant…”. One possible interpretation of the sentence is that the Lancastrians fought and won THREE battles – The one at Bosworth Field, the one that was the last of the War of roses, and the civil war. This ambiguity in meaning is the reason to eliminate the option.
While both options (B) and (E) correct the modifier errors, option (B) is convoluted because it is in passive voice, making (E) the better construction. Splitting up the sentence into two enhances the ability to understand the information.

Choice E is the correct answer.

https://practice-questions.wizako.com/g ... er-5.shtml

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 198 [1], given: 191

Re: Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2017, 11:50

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Fought on 22 August 1485, the Lancastrians

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap