Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618587 [12]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618587 [3]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Re: Permutations and Combinations Question!!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
kiran882 wrote:
Four persons enter the lift of a seven storey building at the ground floor. In how many ways can they get out of lift on any floor other than ground floor

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is a solution to your question.

Each person out of 4 has 6 floors (options) to get out of (since no one gets out on the ground floor), hence total ways is 6*6*6*6=6^4. Now, there is no need to actually calculate this value: 6^4 will have 6 as the units digit and there is only one option (B) which offers such a number.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Oh!! Its very easy question!
Thanks for ur lucid explanation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Four persons enter the lift of a seven storey building at [#permalink]
Hi Buneul,

When they say 4 and 6 floors should we not account the possibility that

1st floor : A

2 nd floor B

3rd floor C
4th floor D

alos combinations like

1st floor AB

or BC

Am i confused?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Brunel,

I tried a different approach which I thought would also be applicable in this situation but got a different answer. Can you please tell me where did I go wrong? Here we go:

Option 1: All 4 people get out on one of the six floors. This can be done in 6 ways (2nd floor, 3rd floor, 4th floor, etc)

Option 2: 3 people get out together on one floor, and I person on a different floor. This can be done in the following manner:

4C3 * 1C1 * 6!/4! = 120 ways

Option 3: 2 people get out on one floor and 2 on another floor:

4C2 * 2C2 * 6!/4! = 180 ways

Option 4: 2 people get out on one floor and then 1 and 1. Again we have

4C2 * 6!/3! = 720 ways

Option 5: One person on each floor:

6!/2! = 360 ways

A total of 1386 ways. But my answers is different than yours..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Four persons enter the lift of a seven storey building at [#permalink]
kiran882 wrote:
Four persons enter the lift of a seven storey building at the ground floor. In how many ways can they get out of lift on any floor other than ground floor

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

Just want to check one doubt regarding ground floor, does it represents floor# 0 OR Floor# 1 ?
The country where i live ground floor represents 0 , and with that in mind
i was trying 7*7*7*7 , none of the option has 1 as unit digit so i inferred that ground floor here represents floor #1 .
are we expected to have such knowledge specific to a country ?
for eg: 1 have one permutation/combination question
QU: A family of 5 is going for a summer vacation and they decided to drive the car (with 5 seats ) to a hill station .
family is composed of 2 daughters ,1 son and parents. only parents can drive . none of the girl want to sit adjacent to a right side window of the car.
how many possible combinations are there ?
considering in USA the steering is on left side while in ASIA the steering in on right side , we will have two different answers for this question.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
samichange wrote:
Four persons enter a lift on the ground floor of a nine-floor building. Each person is equally likely to leave the lift at any floor except the ground floor. What is the probability of all the persons leaving the lift at different floors?

A. 105/512
B. 105/256
C. 112/243
D. 1560/2147
E. 7/8

I have solved the above; but I have a doubt.-
P(Event) + P (Non-Event) =1
Where event =all leaving at different floors.

Please help me in finding solution by P(Event)= 1- P(Non-event)

Please explain how to calculate using the Non-Event method.

hi,
why do you want it to become complicated by solving this by non-event.
rather if it asks you for probability of people not leaving on different floors, you would use non event method..
choose this method when it simplifies calculations- example.. atleast one thing is done.. etc
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
samichange wrote:
Four persons enter a lift on the ground floor of a nine-floor building. Each person is equally likely to leave the lift at any floor except the ground floor. What is the probability of all the persons leaving the lift at different floors?

A. 105/512
B. 105/256
C. 112/243
D. 1560/2147
E. 7/8

I have solved the above; but I have a doubt.-
P(Event) + P (Non-Event) =1
Where event =all leaving at different floors.

Please help me in finding solution by P(Event)= 1- P(Non-event)

Please explain how to calculate using the Non-Event method.

hi,
why do you want it to become complicated by solving this by non-event.
rather if it asks you for probability of people not leaving on different floors, you would use non event method..
choose this method when it simplifies calculations- example.. atleast one thing is done.. etc

Hi

Thanks.

I just solved it little while ago by the non-event method and arrived at the correct answer.
I found it little complicated to solve by the non-event method. Took me 30 minutes to solve by the non-event method.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lucky2783 wrote:
kiran882 wrote:

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

Just want to check one doubt regarding ground floor, does it represents floor# 0 OR Floor# 1 ?
i was trying 7*7*7*7 , none of the option has 1 as unit digit so i inferred that ground floor here represents floor #1 .
QU: A family of 5 is going for a summer vacation and they decided to drive the car (with 5 seats ) to a hill station .
family is composed of 2 daughters ,1 son and parents. only parents can drive . none of the girl want to sit adjacent to a right side window of the car.
considering in USA the steering is on left side while in ASIA the steering in on right side , we will have two different answers for this question.

A seven storey building means a building with seven floors - it doesn't matter how you name them. You could call them "floor 1 to floor 7" or "ground floor to floor 6". If the seven storey building has a ground floor (as given in the question), it will have 6 more floors above it. So either ways, your answer will be the same irrespective of the country to which you belong.
As for the car question, you will not see such a discrepancy in an actual GMAT question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:
kiran882 wrote:

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

A seven storey building means a building with seven floors - it doesn't matter how you name them. You could call them "floor 1 to floor 7" or "ground floor to floor 6". If the seven storey building has a ground floor (as given in the question), it will have 6 more floors above it. So either ways, your answer will be the same irrespective of the country to which you belong.
As for the car question, you will not see such a discrepancy in an actual GMAT question.

thank you karishma for the clarifications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
kiran882 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kiran882 wrote:

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

Hi Bunuel, I got the OE however Please let me know where i am wrong in this , No of ways for 1st floor to get persons = 5(0,1,2,3,4)similarly for all other floors , so i got 5^6
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
kiran882 wrote:

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

Each person out of 4 has 6 floors (options) to get out of (since no one gets out on the ground floor), hence total ways is 6*6*6*6=6^4. Now, there is no need to actually calculate this value: 6^4 will have 6 as the units digit and there is only one option (B) which offers such a number.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

Can you please tell me why can't we take it this way:4 can be out on 1st flr, 4 can be out on 2nd flr.. so effectively it will 4^6?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5909
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Johnson '21
Send PM
kkrrsshh wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kiran882 wrote:

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

Can you please tell me why can't we take it this way:4 can be out on 1st flr, 4 can be out on 2nd flr.. so effectively it will 4^6?

Each person has 6 floor option to choose from:
1: 6 option
2: 6 option etc
4 person so 6^4
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3962 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
kiran882 wrote:

A. 720
B. 1296
C. 1540
D. 1478
E. 360

Given: Four persons enter the lift of a seven storey building at the ground floor.

Asked: In how many ways can they get out of lift on any floor other than ground floor?

# of ways can they get out of lift on any floor other than ground floor \(= (7-1)^4 = 6^4 = 1296\)

IMO B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts