Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [29]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [5]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: Frailty of understanding is in itself no proper target for scorn and [#permalink]
Gladiator59 wrote:
Yes MP is Main point. I threw a bit of jargon right back at the passage :-D

If MS is manuscript ( good guess) what could be MSS? .. Have a great weekend yourself :-)

Gladi

Gladiator59

MS is an abbreviation of manuscript in singular form ( The best MS then known was )

MSS is an abbreviation of manuscripts in plural form :grin: (upheld the readings of inferior MSS)

Main point ? Well, Critics of 19 century put into into question/challenge the quality of edited manuscripts by 18th centutry editors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 370 Q32 V9
Send PM
Frailty of understanding is in itself no proper target for scorn and [#permalink]
Kudos
Read passage in 5:30 minutes (little above my average reading time, which is 4:30), and got all 4 right. It took me approx. 4 minutes to complete the 4 questions.
In Q.1, The question asks why was the example of the MS used. Since the passage is not about the MS mentioned, it's just a part of it, so Option B seems more right. I was actually confused between B & D as they depict an overall point more than A.
In Q.2, If you have read the passage carefully, you can be sure that (ii) & (iii) are right. For the (i), you can go back to the passage and confirm.
In Q.3, I use a trick in LEAST questions, Instead of crossing the answers I tick them right because they are true (this avoids confusion). Madvig would have been preferred over the others as he was the one who took that edited piece for evaluation and corrected it. Option C is right as not always the edited MS is right, mentioned in the passage as main point. I was confused more between C & D as I didn't know what D meant and it seemed right.
In Q.4, Confused between A & C. Again the answer should depict the overall message after the 1st para & between these two A seemed more right.

I don't always have good reasoning for why I selected an option. Sometimes intuition plays well for me. For the options I selected maybe I would have weighted them more than the ones I was confused with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 256
GRE 1: Q163 V157
Send PM
Re: Frailty of understanding is in itself no proper target for scorn and [#permalink]
i agree with gladiator 59 it a very difficult passage and im still in puzzle with ms and mss means, i believe there are some mistake in the passage or may be im wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13959 posts