It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1862 [2], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:28) correct 50% (02:01) wrong based on 271 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illiterate. This is clearly the outcome of a flawed educational system.

Almosk: Technological progress has provided many solutions to assist people that are illiterate through audio. It is not the educational system, but these alternative forms of communication that have reduced the importance of being literate, allowing people to avoid having to learn how to read and write.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens Almosk's response to Franjel's explanation?

A. A device has been invented that is capable of speedily scanning a printed page and immediately reading it aloud using voice-synthesizing software.
B. The increased number of audio stimulii and high volume levels to which humans of all ages are being subjected has resulted in hearing problems in one third of the population.  
C. The educational system has undergone drastic reforms in the last 25 years, including changes in teacher training programs which were proven to be successful.
D. Statistics about illiteracy percentages are formed, along with other demographic statistics, by conducting extensive survey operations.
E. Many jobs do not require literacy although it is important that an employer is aware of an employee's inability to read or write.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1862 [2], given: 302

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 2

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99
Re: Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
Technological progress has provided many solutions to assist people that are illiterate through audio.

A. that
B. who
C. which
D. they
E. whom

It is not the educational system, but these alternative forms of communication that have reduced the importance of being literate, allowing people to avoid having to learn how to read and write.

A. the importance of being literate
B. the importance of having been literate
C. the necessity of being literate
D. the necessity of having been literate
E. the importance of literacy

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT
http://www.apexgmat.com/

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 55 [2], given: 57

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
This seemed like a tricky one, but once you write down Almosk's response, things will get easier.

Franjel: 10% illiterate because of a flawed educational system.

Almosk: No, not due to educational system. It is due to technical progress, which assist illiterate people through audio and thus they don't need to learn how to read and write.

Now we need to weaken Almosk's explanation.

A. A device has been invented that is capable of speedily scanning a printed page and immediately reading it aloud using voice-synthesizing software.
- Good, this new software can convert text to audio. But more audio is strengthening Almosk's explanation. WRONG.

B. The increased number of audio stimulii and high volume levels to which humans of all ages are being subjected has resulted in hearing problems in one third of the population.
- Hearing problems means people cannot adopt audio solution. As it has already resulted hearing problems, these illiterate people haven't used this audio solution. So the reason for the illiteracy must be something else. Now, this weakens Almosk's explanation. CORRECT.

C. The educational system has undergone drastic reforms in the last 25 years, including changes in teacher training programs which were proven to be successful.
- Seemed like a strong contender as it talks about last 25 years and discussion between Franjel and Almosk is about adults. It says education system has improved, but it isn't explaining the reason behind illiteracy of 10% people. It is not weakening Almosk's explanation. WRONG

D. Statistics about illiteracy percentages are formed, along with other demographic statistics, by conducting extensive survey operations.
- It doesn't say anything about the reason behind the illiteracy. WRONG.

E. Many jobs do not require literacy although it is important that an employer is aware of an employee's inability to read or write.
- Same as above. WRONG.

Correct choice will be B.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 01:36
Hi GMAT aspirants / mikemcgarry / daagh / chetan2u,

IMO--E

Almosk's conclusion- It is not the educational system, but these alternative forms of communication that have reduced the importance of being literate

these alternative forms of communication (X)----> Y (importance of being literate)

If we find any option Z which leads to Y. Then the conclusion is weakened.

Many jobs do not require literacy (Z) ---> So it leads to Y (importance of being literate)

---------------------------------------------------------

My reasoning to B.

Lets discuss through an example: parallel with the above-mentioned example

I want to learn driving // I want to become literate.
To learn driving I need to go ABC Institute // To become literate I need to use alternative forms of communication (AUDIO).
ABC institute has high rate of accidents // Using alternative forms of communication (AUDIO) person is likely to loose herring power.

Now-
I will not learn driving because the resource that I have is not up-to the mark (I might get INJURED).
Or
I will not become literate because the resource that I have is not up-to the mark (I might loose hearing power).

So, alternative forms of communication (AUDIO) led people to not to become literate ( Which is Almosk's concluion)
So, it strengthens the argument rather then weakening.

Please help, whats wrong in my reasoning.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 79

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 04:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

RAHKARP27071989 wrote:

IMO--E

Almosk's conclusion- It is not the educational system, but these alternative forms of communication that have reduced the importance of being literate

these alternative forms of communication (X)----> Y (importance of being literate)

If we find any option Z which leads to Y. Then the conclusion is weakened.

Many jobs do not require literacy (Z) ---> So it leads to Y (importance of being literate)

---------------------------------------------------------

As you said the conclusion is "It is not the educational system, but these alternative forms of communication that have reduced the importance of being literate". So the conclusion can be weakened if we can prove that these alternative forms of communication i.e. "audio" didn't play a major role in the illiteracy.

B. A lot of people had hearing problems, so obviously they couldn't use these alternative forms of communication i.e. "audio", but are still illiterate. That means these alternative forms of communication i.e. "audio" was not the reason for the illiteracy of those people.

E. You are correct. Many jobs do not require literacy ---> So it leads to (importance of being literate). But those people may also be listening to the alternative forms of communication i.e. "audio" and that's why never learnt how to read and write. So it doesn't weaken the conclusion.

RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
My reasoning to B.

Lets discuss through an example: parallel with the above-mentioned example

I want to learn driving // I want to become literate.
To learn driving I need to go ABC Institute // To become literate I need to use alternative forms of communication (AUDIO).
ABC institute has high rate of accidents // Using alternative forms of communication (AUDIO) person is likely to loose herring power.

Now-
I will not learn driving because the resource that I have is not up-to the mark (I might get INJURED).
Or
I will not become literate because the resource that I have is not up-to the mark (I might loose hearing power).

So, alternative forms of communication (AUDIO) led people to not to become literate ( Which is Almosk's concluion)
So, it strengthens the argument rather then weakening.

Please help, whats wrong in my reasoning.

- No. Almosk's statement says that audio is one of the way to assist illiterate people. It doesn't say that to become literate, you necessarily have to use audio. Moreover, Almosk's statement says that using this audio communication has allowed people to avoid having to learn how to read and write.

- I believe that you inferred this from Option B. If so, you didn't read the option B correctly. Option B says "The increased number of audio stimulii and high volume levels to which humans of all ages are being subjected has resulted in hearing problems in one third of the population." The people already have the hearing problem because of high volume levels of sound they were exposed to in their life. It doesn't say the Audio form of communication (which is used to assist illiterate people) has caused the hearing problems.

Let me know if it helps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 679

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 11:32
Really tricky one. Of course, got it wrong :/

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 679

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 14:45
B imo. The argument Almosk offers is that, as a result of better audio technology, fewer people need to be literate (i.e. relative value of literacy has declined because quality of substitutes has improved). But if people cannot profit from those technologies because of hearing problems, than the value of literacy may be preserved and indeed may increase. Since both changes are concurrent, we have reason to suspect that the improvement of audio technology may not have had the salutary effect Almosk has suggested.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illi   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 14:45

Franjel: It has been reported that 10% of our adult population is illi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap