GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fresh Meat!!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 04:31
Bunuel wrote:
4. The functions f and g are defined for all the positive integers n by the following rule: f(n) is the number of positive perfect squares less than n and g(n) is the number of primes numbers less than n. If f(x) + g(x) = 16, then x is in the range:

A. 30 < x < 36
B. 30 < x < 37
C. 31 < x < 37
D. 31 < x < 38
E. 32 < x < 38

Perfect squares: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, ..,
Prime numbers: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, ...

If x = 31, then f(31) = 5 and g(31) = 10: f(x) + g(x) = 5 + 10 = 15.
If x = 32, then f(32) = 5 and g(32) = 11: f(x) + g(x) = 5 + 11 = 16.
...
If x = 36, then f(36) = 5 and g(36) = 11: f(x) + g(x) = 5 + 11 = 16.
If x = 37, then f(37) = 6 and g(37) = 11: f(x) + g(x) = 6 + 11 = 17.

Thus x could be 32, 33, 34, 35 or 36: 31<x<37.

Answer: C.


It is given "f(n) is the number of positive perfect squares less than n" then X should be greater than 36, with this answer comes to D. ??? please correct if I am wrong & please correct.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49276
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 08:55
thunderbird350 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
4. The functions f and g are defined for all the positive integers n by the following rule: f(n) is the number of positive perfect squares less than n and g(n) is the number of primes numbers less than n. If f(x) + g(x) = 16, then x is in the range:

A. 30 < x < 36
B. 30 < x < 37
C. 31 < x < 37
D. 31 < x < 38
E. 32 < x < 38

Perfect squares: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, ..,
Prime numbers: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, ...

If x = 31, then f(31) = 5 and g(31) = 10: f(x) + g(x) = 5 + 10 = 15.
If x = 32, then f(32) = 5 and g(32) = 11: f(x) + g(x) = 5 + 11 = 16.
...
If x = 36, then f(36) = 5 and g(36) = 11: f(x) + g(x) = 5 + 11 = 16.
If x = 37, then f(37) = 6 and g(37) = 11: f(x) + g(x) = 6 + 11 = 17.

Thus x could be 32, 33, 34, 35 or 36: 31<x<37.

Answer: C.


It is given "f(n) is the number of positive perfect squares less than n" then X should be greater than 36, with this answer comes to D. ??? please correct if I am wrong & please correct.


It's not clear from your post as to why should x be greater than 36. The solution you quote explains that x could be 32, 33, 34, 35 or 36: 31<x<37, which is answer C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 91
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 02:47
Bunuel wrote:
10. If x is not equal to 0 and x^y=1, then which of the following must be true?

I. x=1
II. x=1 and y=0
III. x=1 or y=0


A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. None

Notice that if x=-1 and y is any even number, then \((-1)^{even}=1\), thus none of the options must be true.

Answer: E.


Bunuel
If we consider only I
i.e x=1
1 to power anything will be one so shouldn't the OA be A ?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49276
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 02:54
teaserbae wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
10. If x is not equal to 0 and x^y=1, then which of the following must be true?

I. x=1
II. x=1 and y=0
III. x=1 or y=0


A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. None

Notice that if x=-1 and y is any even number, then \((-1)^{even}=1\), thus none of the options must be true.

Answer: E.


Bunuel
If we consider only I
i.e x=1
1 to power anything will be one so shouldn't the OA be A ?


The question asks: which of the following MUST be true, not COULD be true. Now, ask yourself is x = 1 ALWAYS true? Doesn't the solution you quote, gives an example when x = 1 is NOT true?
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 91
Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jul 2018, 03:10
Bunuel wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
10. If x is not equal to 0 and x^y=1, then which of the following must be true?

I. x=1
II. x=1 and y=0
III. x=1 or y=0


A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. None

Notice that if x=-1 and y is any even number, then \((-1)^{even}=1\), thus none of the options must be true.

Answer: E.


Bunuel
If we consider only I
i.e x=1
1 to power anything will be one so shouldn't the OA be A ?


The question asks: which of the following MUST be true, not COULD be true. Now, ask yourself is x = 1 ALWAYS true? Doesn't the solution you quote, gives an example when x = 1 is NOT true?


Bunuel
Yeah I got that but what's wrong with C ?
X=1 than x^y=1
y=0 than x^y=1
there doesn't exsist any other case for which x^y is not equal to 1

Originally posted by teaserbae on 23 Jul 2018, 02:57.
Last edited by teaserbae on 23 Jul 2018, 03:10, edited 2 times in total.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49276
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 03:09
teaserbae wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
10. If x is not equal to 0 and x^y=1, then which of the following must be true?

I. x=1
II. x=1 and y=0
III. x=1 or y=0


A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. None

Bunuel
If we consider only I
i.e x=1
1 to power anything will be one so shouldn't the OA be A ?


The question asks: which of the following MUST be true, not COULD be true. Now, ask yourself is x = 1 ALWAYS true? Doesn't the solution you quote, gives an example when x = 1 is NOT true?


Yeah I got that but what's wrong with C ?
X=1 than x^y=1
y=0 than x^y=1
there doesn't exsist any other case for which x^y is not equal to 1


I'll copy my solution here:

Notice that if x=-1 and y is any even number, then \((-1)^{even}=1\), thus none of the options must be true.

Please read carefully.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 91
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 03:16
Bunuel wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
10. If x is not equal to 0 and x^y=1, then which of the following must be true?

I. x=1
II. x=1 and y=0
III. x=1 or y=0


A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. None

Bunuel
If we consider only I
i.e x=1
1 to power anything will be one so shouldn't the OA be A ?


The question asks: which of the following MUST be true, not COULD be true. Now, ask yourself is x = 1 ALWAYS true? Doesn't the solution you quote, gives an example when x = 1 is NOT true?


I'll copy my solution here:

Notice that if x=-1 and y is any even number, then \((-1)^{even}=1\), thus none of the options must be true.

Please read carefully.


Bunuel
By III x=1 or y=0
since x= -1 so y=0
Isn't (-1)^0 = 1 ?
As 0 is even integer
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49276
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 03:24
1
teaserbae wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
10. If x is not equal to 0 and x^y=1, then which of the following must be true?

I. x=1
II. x=1 and y=0
III. x=1 or y=0


A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. None


The question asks: which of the following MUST be true, not COULD be true. Now, ask yourself is x = 1 ALWAYS true? Doesn't the solution you quote, gives an example when x = 1 is NOT true?


I'll copy my solution here:

Notice that if x=-1 and y is any even number, then \((-1)^{even}=1\), thus none of the options must be true.

Please read carefully.


Bunuel
By III x=1 or y=0
since x= -1 so y=0
Isn't (-1)^0 = 1 ?
As 0 is even integer


I'll try this last time. The question asks: which of the following MUST be true?

None of the options is necessarily true because if x = -1, and say y = 2, then x^y = 1 and not I, not II and not III is true.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 48
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 11:48
Hello Bunuel,

You mentioned that we can factor 17 in the solution to this problem, is that a typo?

Thanks.

Bunuel wrote:
5. Which of the following is a factor of 18!+1?

A. 15
B. 17
C. 19
D. 33
E. 39

18! and 18!+1 are consecutive integers. Two consecutive integers are co-prime, which means that they don't share ANY common factor but 1. For example 20 and 21 are consecutive integers, thus only common factor they share is 1.

Now, since we can factor out each 15, 17, 33=3*11, and 39=3*13 out of 18!, then 15, 17, 33 and 39 ARE factors of 18! and are NOT factors of 18!+1. Therefore only 19 could be a factor of 18!+1.

Answer: C.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49276
Re: Fresh Meat!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 20:38
1
funsogu wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

You mentioned that we can factor 17 in the solution to this problem, is that a typo?

Thanks.

Bunuel wrote:
5. Which of the following is a factor of 18!+1?

A. 15
B. 17
C. 19
D. 33
E. 39

18! and 18!+1 are consecutive integers. Two consecutive integers are co-prime, which means that they don't share ANY common factor but 1. For example 20 and 21 are consecutive integers, thus only common factor they share is 1.

Now, since we can factor out each 15, 17, 33=3*11, and 39=3*13 out of 18!, then 15, 17, 33 and 39 ARE factors of 18! and are NOT factors of 18!+1. Therefore only 19 could be a factor of 18!+1.

Answer: C.


17 is a factor of 18!:

18! = 1*2*3*...*17*18.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Fresh Meat!!! &nbs [#permalink] 09 Sep 2018, 20:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 170 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Fresh Meat!!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.