Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Re: Fresh out of College/ Non-Traditional Applicant Need Advic [#permalink]
Thanks for all the advice!

Just a clarification: I originally thought of applying to an MBA as a non-traditional applicant after doing some public policy or NGO work for a few years and after getting my degree maybe entering management consulting.

Of course, I'm still in the midst of realizing that my 4 years of "law school prep" have gone down the drain and failed to develop marketable finance/business skills which is killing me in the job search now.

I'm such a newb at this so any suggestions of alternative plans would be greatly appreciated.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
gg2 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice!

Just a clarification: I originally thought of applying to an MBA as a non-traditional applicant after doing some public policy or NGO work for a few years and after getting my degree maybe entering management consulting.

Of course, I'm still in the midst of realizing that my 4 years of "law school prep" have gone down the drain and failed to develop marketable finance/business skills which is killing me in the job search now.

I'm such a newb at this so any suggestions of alternative plans would be greatly appreciated.

If NGO or public policy is something that genuinely interests you, go for it! Incidentally, having an Ivy + non-traditional background will be an asset for b-school admissions especially when you'll be up against other Ivy alums, many of whom will have come from finance, consulting, etc.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree. If you can build a good solid career in NGO, you can be a far more unique candidate than many others. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I say take the GMAT if you decide an MBA is the best option. Although all major schools accept the GRE now, only a small fraction of students apply with GRE scores. So a strong GMAT score would help you more since schools have more familiarity with evaluating applicants who have taken this exam.

If you are not sure of what you wish to do you might look at Leadership Rotational Programs in which you gain experience in multiple areas/regions by participating in multiple rotations.
Here is a list of some of these programs: https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog/le ... -programs/.

Best of luck,
Affiliations: Harvard Club Lecturer
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
City: Los Angeles
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 1998
Send PM
Expert Reply
There is no need to take the LSAT, and perhaps don't rush to take the GMAT vs GRE yet. You went to a great school, performed solidly, and now it's time to start thinking less about what do I need to do to get an MBA, and more about what do you want to try! And trust your instincts and don't follow the herd.

You are at such a great time in your life to test and try directions that appeal to your instincts and not to your head. Public policy, NGOs, teaching…and other directions can be very rewarding and very managerial by the way. MBA programs are high on public sector candidates and HBS even gives stipends of $50K to graduates to pursue public sector opportunities. But in trying a job, you may realize that what you thought interested you might not. Some folks find they don’t have the patience for the public sector and are then keen to try an industry job. As long as you try to stick it out in your choices and don't jump around from job to job, you can still protect your MBA viability if you so choose to pursue that or another advanced degree. By the way, my pre HBS experience included teaching English in Spain for a year, and it helped me get a position in Johnson & Johnson's International Development Program---which then had me in Madrid for another 2.5 years in brand management.

So get cracking on finding a job that you feel could be a great fit, and don't worry about what others are trying---but learn from what others are trying! Nobody can answer the question for you of what you should be doing---but also don't be afraid to talk to others, even a career counselor, about avenues. There is no shame in self exploration.
GMAT Club Bot