GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Mar 2018, 08:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:58) correct 30% (02:20) wrong based on 436 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag, whereas dehydrated instant potatoes cost, on average, about $3 per pound. It can be concluded that some consumers will pay 15 times as much for convenience, since sales of this convenience food continue to rise.

Which of the following, if true, indicates that there is a major flaw in the argument above?

(A) Fresh potatoes bought in convenient 2-pound bags are about $1 a bag, or 2 1/2 times more expensive than fresh potatoes bought in 10-pound bags.

(B) Since fresh potatoes are 80 percent water, one pound of dehydrated potatoes is the equivalent of 5 pounds of fresh potatoes.

(C) Peeled potatoes in cans are also more expensive than the less convenient fresh potatoes.

(D) Retail prices of dehydrated potatoes have declined by 20 percent since 1960 to the current level of about $3 a pound.

(E) As a consequence of labor and processing costs, all convenience foods cost more than the basic foods from which they are derived

Please explain why your answer is correct.
thanks

Originally posted by tarek99 on 09 Jan 2008, 11:48.
Last edited by broall on 09 Mar 2018, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
SVP
SVP
Re: Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2008, 22:27
tarek99 wrote:
Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag, whereas dehydrated instant potatoes cost, on average, about $3 per pound. It can be concluded that some consumers will pay 15 times as much for convenience, since sales of this convenience food continue to rise.

Which of the following, if true, indicates that there is a major flaw in the argument above?

(A) Fresh potatoes bought in convenient 2-pound bags are about $1 a bag, or 2 1/2 times more expensive than fresh potatoes bought in 10-pound bags.

(B) Since fresh potatoes are 80 percent water, one pound of dehydrated potatoes is the equivalent of 5 pounds of fresh potatoes.

(C) Peeled potatoes in cans are also more expensive than the less convenient fresh potatoes.

(D) Retail prices of dehydrated potatoes have declined by 20 percent since 1960 to the current level of about $3 a pound.

(E) As a consequence of labor and processing costs, all convenience foods cost more than the basic foods from which they are derived

thanks

I was just about to post this problem from one of the paper tests I took. I thought it was a great problem. Here was my analysis that I posted into excel.

C: irrelevant. D: irrelevant. E: irrelevant. For AB do the math! 1lb of dehydrated=5lbs fresh. 2$ for 10lb 3$*10 dehydrated lb =30$. So it would seem that 30/2=15 times more. But b/c 1lb=5lbs of fresh. Its actually 6$ for 2lbs of dehydrated which is 10lbs of fresh, which is actually only 3 times more expensive. So this is why B is correct. A: the weight of the bag is irrelevatn here.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2008, 12:44

According to this people aren't necessarily willing to pay 15x more for convenience. They're really only paying about 3x more.
VP
VP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2008, 23:41
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

thanks

I was just about to post this problem from one of the paper tests I took. I thought it was a great problem. Here was my analysis that I posted into excel.

C: irrelevant. D: irrelevant. E: irrelevant. For AB do the math! 1lb of dehydrated=5lbs fresh. 2$ for 10lb 3$*10 dehydrated lb =30$. So it would seem that 30/2=15 times more. But b/c 1lb=5lbs of fresh. Its actually 6$ for 2lbs of dehydrated which is 10lbs of fresh, which is actually only 3 times more expensive. So this is why B is correct. A: the weight of the bag is irrelevatn here.

Agree!

At first, I choose C because the most epensive must be the most convinient and because I dont know what is the peeled. After reading this, B surely correct my misleading! Thanks
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 23:29
can someone please explain what is the type of the question ??

"Which of the following, if true, indicates that there is a major flaw in the argument above?"

whether it is weaken , strengthen , vulnerable to criticism ??
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 00:46
diljeetsingh wrote:
can someone please explain what is the type of the question ??

"Which of the following, if true, indicates that there is a major flaw in the argument above?"

whether it is weaken , strengthen , vulnerable to criticism ??

this is a weaken question. You have to weaken the conclusion i.e. "It can be concluded that some consumers will pay 15 times as much for convenience, since sales of this convenience food continue to rise" by stating an alternating reasoning that might be responsible for customer buying behaviour
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 18:44
diljeetsingh dreamofbest2020 This is not weaken question but a logical flaw type question. Let me explain the approach.

The author concludes that customers will be willing to pay as much as 15 times more for convenience.

But do we know 1 pound dehydrated potatoes is equal to 1 pound fresh potatoes? No right!
So, such a comparison may be flawed.

We are given fresh potatoes--> 2$ for 10 Pounds --> 1$ for 5 pounds ( Basically we paying 1$ for 5 pounds)

Option B--> Since fresh potatoes are 80 percent water, one pound of dehydrated potatoes is the equivalent of 5 pounds of fresh potatoes.

Option B implies --> 3$ for 5 pounds( As per pound is 3$ and 1 pound dehydrated potato = 5 pound fresh potato).

Definitely, we can determine that we are not paying anywhere close to 15 times for the convenience.
This the major flaw or leap of faith in the author's argument.

For these questions--> Always think along the lines what possible assumptions the author makes when he draws the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Sustainability
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2019, 04:04
eschn3am wrote:

According to this people aren't necessarily willing to pay 15x more for convenience. They're really only paying about 3x more.

Hi,

Even in option A, essentially dehydrated bags are 6x more expensive than fresh potatoes. In that case, this opton also weakens the argument as B does. Can you please correct if I am wrong?

Thanks,
Rishov
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2019, 04:12
Rishovnits
Here, the comparison is between 2pound bag Vs 10-pound bag, and in both cases the price of fresh potatoes.

You can't infer something unless it is stated explicitly.

Kudos will be appreciated if you liked my prompt response.
Please, refer to my answer in case of further doubt.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.99
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 04:44
Conclusion: It can be concluded that some consumers will pay "15 times" as much for convenience, since sales of this convenience food continue to rise.
Flaw: NOT "15 times"

Conclusion says that,
Fresh: $2/10P
Dehydrated: $3/P -> $30/10P
Therefore, $30/$2 = 15 times more expensive!

However, 1P Dehydrated : 15P Fresh

Let's recalculate based on the information in B,
Fresh: $2/10P
Dehydrated: $30/10*5 -> $30/50P -> $3/5P -> $6/10P
Therefore, $6/$2 = 3 times only more expensive NOT 15 times !

It is not 15times, only 3 times. Caught the flaw!

In A,

Conclusion says that,
Fresh : $2/10P
C Fresh: $1/2P -> $5/10P
Therefore, $30/$5 = 6 times more expensive! yeah the flaw is caught. But why is this Answer choice not better than A?
This answer choice is comparing convenient stores fresh potatoes, not in general of fresh potatoes.

Therefore, B wins. B is better than A.

OFS- Seriously, why peeled potatoes? :roll:

OFS
Fresh : $2/10P
Therefore, $30/$5 = 6 times more expensive! yeah the flaw is caught. But why is this Answer choice not better than A?
OFS

(E) As a consequence of labor and processing costs, all convenience foods cost "more" than the basic foods from which they are derived
OFS- OK. Convenient cost more than basic, but it does not shows the "MORE" means what.

KUDOS
are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: LBS '22, ISB '20, IE '22
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2019, 02:37
The author concludes that customers will be willing to pay as much as 15 times more for convenience.

But do we know 1 pound dehydrated potatoes is equal to 1 pound fresh potatoes? No right!
So, such a comparison may be flawed.

We are given fresh potatoes--> 2$ for 10 Pounds --> 1$ for 5 pounds ( Basically we paying 1$ for 5 pounds)

Option B--> Since fresh potatoes are 80 percent water, one pound of dehydrated potatoes is the equivalent of 5 pounds of fresh potatoes.

Option B implies --> 3$ for 5 pounds( As per pound is 3$ and 1 pound dehydrated potato = 5 pound fresh potato).

Definitely, we can determine that we are not paying anywhere close to 15 times for the convenience.
This the major flaw or leap of faith in the author's argument.

For these questions--> Always think along the lines what possible assumptions the author makes when he draws the conclusion.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag,   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2019, 02:37

Fresh potatoes generally cost about $2 for a 10-pound bag,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics