Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: From 0 to 650 in 42 days [#permalink]
Hello Richard,

My exam is on the 8th January, I had done very little revision before my first post.

As to answer your questions:
1) See above
2) Thus far, I have read the GMAT 2018 official books (didn't help much), I have spent the last 3 days (8 hours a day) watching various youtube videos on the English side of the GMAT. I am starting to make improvements on the SC. I have been watching the channels GMATprepnow, Veritas and also Jamboree (After getting used to the Indian Accent I think this channel is fantastic!)
3) The test I took was with London Business School. If I am honest, I don't remember the score as it was sub 400 without any revision I simply wanted to know where I stood, so its probably of little use even now.
4) See Above
5) I will be applying for the end of January. This is the only university I will apply for, if it doesn't work out I have already spoken to the university about doing the Phd as an independent student although I won't get funding for this.

I understand it may be a tall order to get the score I require in such a small amount of time. Thankfully, I am self employed so I have shut the business down until the 14th and I will also give myself a week before the exam to get to grips with the test. From the test I did do, I had over 30 mins left for both of the verbal and Qaunt. Whilst I appreciate I can take more time on the questions I am fairly confident that timing won't be an issue I face, as I have always finished my test before the allocated time even whilst at school.

I look forward to your response,

Shaun
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Shaun,

Since you're relatively short on time, we need to see how you score on a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Whilst there can be no substitute for practice I am feeling ok with the Verbal, I will benefit from more revision but I will do so after I take a practice test. What I will do is have a day of intensive revision for the 3 areas of Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry and then I will take the practice test on the 3rd of December.

I will respond with the results then,

Many thanks for your time and response.

Shaun
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have just taken my first CAT exam which came to 410. V23 Q24

There are positives and negatives to come from this...

The Q I am happy with, I have done very little math in 10 years and I am aiming for a 35 to 37. My problem is content knowledge, I am confident that I can fill the gaps within the timeframe I have as math is very logical. My weakest area by far is geometry, I have done 1 day of revision and it really showed in the test, next would be algebra which I am putting a lot of time into. I am not going to get drawn into the percentile, its a non point. The fact is I won't win a battle against people from a Q background, for me its more about getting the marginal gains I need to hit the number I feel will help my cause.

The V I am disappointed with, if I am honest I panicked at the countdown and screwed up the first 10 questions (only 3 correct) because I was worried about time. My sentence correction has improved but I was making errors on my strengths which I need to cut out. After looking at the answers, I probably could have got 8 or 9 answers correct had I not panicked which would have dramatically changed my scored. If I eliminate those errors and improve on my SC then I do believe that 40 is obtainable.

My time management was 62 mins per test, I actually took a 5 minute break during each of them (middle of the math and end of English). That tells me that I can eliminate mistakes on both test if I double check. I think had I done that on this test my score (if it wasn't adaptive) would have been around Q27-28 V32-33. Which would mean I need to find gains of around 7 for both tests.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Shaun
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Shaun,

Raising a 410 to a 600+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. From what you describe, your current timeline allows for roughly another 6-7 weeks of study, but that's unlikely to be enough time to hit your Score Goal. Are there any later Application Rounds for the Program that you are applying to? I ask because there's clearly a financial 'incentive' for you to hit your Score Goal, so if there was a later Round - and you had more time to study - then you would have a better chance at hitting that Goal.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I can put it back by two months. I had a long hard think since taking the mock test and I think you are correct in your analysis. There is little to no point in taking the exam on the 8th. I wanted to apply for the early bird route but unfortunately Im not prepared to waste my time and money by doing so.

I think a lot of my issues are content, especially with the math. I think it would be beneficial to simply have some consistent revision with this area. I took the 176 questions in the Official GMAT guide before I did any revision and scored 57/176. Whilst this doesnt say much, the first 100 questions I got 46 correct. As this was untimed it shows there are huge holes in my knowledge.

I will keep this thread updated.

Many thanks for your help Rich

Shaun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE:Education (Consulting)
Send PM
Shaun, You are correct about the money grab! This is a cartel! Can't do anything about the GMAT, but I can about the prep. $30 for 6 Manhattan Prep 5th Ed. books. The codes were still valid! $11 for used OG 2017. 4 weeks of free classes from various vendors. 10+ free practice tests.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts