It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1834 [4], given: 289

From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2014, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (00:24) correct 33% (00:25) wrong based on 298 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unemployment and prices,

(A) but also
(B) and also
(C) but so have
(D) and so also
(E) but so did
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 27 Sep 2017, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 1834 [4], given: 289

1 KUDOS received
Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [1], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 16:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goodyear2013 wrote:
From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unemployment and prices,
A) but also
B) and also
C) but so have
D) and so also
E) but so did

Good question! After "but" we need a verb to have both parts parallel. So A,B and D are out. Between C and E. Here we have "from 1965 on", which means that action started in the past and is still valid. Hence we need present perfect. E is out, C is correct choice.

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 349

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Kudos [?]: 84 [3], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 20:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I agree that an auxiliary verb is needed to keep both sides of the question parallel. Eliminate A, B and D. The first part of the sentence uses present perfect, so the second part should also. Eliminate E. It is also interesting to ask yourself when solving some questions whether there is a contrast or not in the sentence you are considering. Soaring standards of living are positive, but rising prices and unemployment are negative, so a contrast is needed. You need “but”.

Economist GMAT Tutor
Claim your completely free, full-access trial: http://econgm.at/GMATFreeTrial
Follow us @econtestprep
Contact us at (866) 292-0660 or support@gmat.economist.com

Kudos [?]: 84 [3], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 18:54
goodyear2013 wrote:
A) but also
B) and also
C) but so have
D) and so also
E) but so did

A B and D elimnated.

Need a but - C & E left.

First part of sentence contains 'has'. The event started from point in the past and continues today, thus use 'have'

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 205

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 01:10
Dear expert, I chose C here, but I still need a valid reason why we must write "have" or helping verb in the right hand? Why "but also" alone is not enough?

Thanks!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
septwibowo wrote:
Dear expert, I chose C here, but I still need a valid reason why we must write "have" or helping verb in the right hand? Why "but also" alone is not enough?

Thanks!

Two problems with "but also":

1. The complementary part "not only" is missing. However even if "not only" were there, there could be parallelism issue:
a. From 1965 on, NOT ONLY the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unemployment and prices.: Wrong - parallelism between clause (the region’s standard of living has soared) and noun phrase (unemployment and prices). Note that "have soared" in the second element of the parallel structure cannot be omitted because the word "have" does not occur in the first part of the sentence.
b. From 1965 on, NOT ONLY the region’s standard of living has soared, but also have (soared) unemployment and prices.: Correct - compares clause with clause. The word "soared" can be eliminated from the second element because the word already occurs in the first element of the parallel structure.

2. Now ignore the above error and consider that "but also" can be used without "not only" (in fact it can be, but not ideally in GMAT). Now (in option A) arises a parallelism issue ( similar to the one mentioned in 1a above.) The parallelism is between clause (the region’s standard of living has soared) and noun phrase (unemployment and prices). The part "have soared" in the second element of the parallel structure cannot be omitted because the word "have" does not occur in the first part of the sentence.

Thus option A ("but also" alone) is wrong in 2 ways.

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 03:12
sayantanc2k wrote:
septwibowo wrote:

Thanks!

Two problems with "but also":

1. The complementary part "not only" is missing. However even if "not only" were there, there could be parallelism issue:
a. From 1965 on, NOT ONLY the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unemployment and prices.: Wrong - parallelism between clause (the region’s standard of living has soared) and noun phrase (unemployment and prices). Note that "have soared" in the second element of the parallel structure cannot be omitted because the word "have" does not occur in the first part of the sentence.
b. From 1965 on, NOT ONLY the region’s standard of living has soared, but also have (soared) unemployment and prices.: Correct - compares clause with clause. The word "soared" can be eliminated from the second element because the word already occurs in the first element of the parallel structure.

2. Now ignore the above error and consider that "but also" can be used without "not only" (in fact it can be, but not ideally in GMAT). Now (in option A) arises a parallelism issue ( similar to the one mentioned in 1a above.) The parallelism is between clause (the region’s standard of living has soared) and noun phrase (unemployment and prices). The part "have soared" in the second element of the parallel structure cannot be omitted because the word "have" does not occur in the first part of the sentence.

Thus option A ("but also" alone) is wrong in 2 ways.

Dear sayantanc2k , what a wonderful explanation! One kudo seems not enough! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well noted for your explanation. In addition, I want to ask, how if I change the statement into :

From 1965 on, NOT ONLY the region’s standard of living has soared, BUT ALSO unemployment.

I removed the prices, so we only have one noun in right side. Is it correct that in this case, we can OMIT "has"?

Thanks a million!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Re: From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unp   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2017, 03:12

From 1965 on, the region’s standard of living has soared, but also unp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap