Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
 Q35  V13
Send PM
Re: From 630 -> 730 - Mission Accomplished....Detailed Debrief [#permalink]
Does practice LSAT tests help sharpen your CR skill?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
tracyyahoo wrote:

Yes it does. But you have to be careful with the lsat questions because some question type in LSAT are not tested in GMAT. But for sure, if you tackle LSAT strenghten/assumption/weaken/must be true questions, you will really K.O CR in GMAT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Mahtab wrote:
tracyyahoo wrote:

Yes it does. But you have to be careful with the lsat questions because some question type in LSAT are not tested in GMAT. But for sure, if you tackle LSAT strenghten/assumption/weaken/must be true questions, you will really K.O CR in GMAT

True, practicing LSAT questions should be helpful but you shouldn't do every question type. For example, on the LSAT a question type called "Find the principle"/"Apply the principle" is tested. The GMAT will rarely test this. LSAT also has a lot of parallel reasoning and Method of argumentation questions. Though these questions are tested on the GMAT but not very often.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Duke, Haas, Tepper, Insead and IESE
 Q44  V33 GMAT 2: 680  Q49  V32
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I think you had your weak areas covered this time. Awesome! All the best with your Apps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rajeshu84 wrote:
I think you had your weak areas covered this time. Awesome! All the best with your Apps!

Thanks. All the best to you too. Hope that you benefit from this great community we have here. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Awesome 100 point jump. Thanks for sharing

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey shovit,
Did you do the CR from the 1000CR document which is floating around the internet ? Do you think that doing this document is going to be useful. I have two weeks left for the GMAT and want some extra practice for CR as my accuracy is still below mark.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Shovit, can you suggest something for CR practice with explainations other than OG 12 and 11 and verbal guide ??
Intern
Intern
Status:Preparing for GMAT; want to join MBA program in fall 2012
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations Management, Finance
Schools:Tippie School of Management, University of Iowa, Iowa City
 Q49  V24 GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
shovitdhar wrote:
Hello everyone

I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a respectable 730 (51/40) :-D . This was my 2nd shot at the test and I'll discuss my strategies at the end of this post; before that here's a quick summary of the books i used and my practice test scores:

Books used:

OGs 10, 11 & 12

SC - MGMAT SC Guide, Aristotle SC Grail, 1000 SCs (did around 300)

CR - Powerscore CR Bible, LSAT questions

RC - Aristotle RC99

Practice Test Scores (over the period Nov. 20th - Dec 14th)

MGMAT 1 - 690
MGMAT 2 - 720
MGMAT 3 - 680
MGMAT 4 - 730
MGMAT 5 - 750
MGMAT 6 - 730
Kaplan Free Test - 750
Princeton Free Test - 710
Knewton Free Test - 720
GMATPrep 1 - 770 (not representative since I remembered a lot of the answers from my earlier attempt)
GMATPrep 2 - 780 (not representative since I remembered a lot of the answers from my earlier attempt)

Detailed Debrief & Strategies:

Background - I had taken the GMAT in Sept 2010 and scored a dismal 630 (50/28). My target score was 700+ so I was definitely going to retake but before that I wanted to make sure I figured out what aspects of the test to approach differently. Quant was never a problem for me and in verbal I was quite comfortable with CR. My two problem areas were SC & RC. In my first attempt my one major weakness had been timing in the verbal section since I could just attempt around 35 questions and guess on the remaining 5-6. Specially in SC I was taking an average of around 2 minutes to get to the answer.

I had primarily used MGMAT SC Guide for my SC prep the first time around and while it is an excellent book in my case it made me too conscious of trying to find out what was wrong with every option. This obviously meant i was taking too much time on SC and combined with my lack of practice in RC, this spelled disaster for me.

SC Strategy - During my 2nd attempt I decided to refer to some other material as well for SC and came across two options on the GMATclub forums- egmat and Aristotle SC Grail . I was on a tight budget having to take the test twice and i had read good things abt the SC Grail book (and it was cheap at $15 :lol: ) so i thought i would give it a try. Turned out to be a great decision 'coz this bok summarizes what the GMAT will test you on in a very crisp manner and provides you with shortcuts to get to the answer in less than a minute. Overall I think MGMAT and SC Grail are more than enough for your SC prep.

CR Strategy - Nothing specific since I never really had any problems in CR. Since I had already finished the OGs in my first attempt, I did a lot of LSAT practice questions though I am not a big fan of these.

RC Strategy - The other problem area for me (and most students) and simply because its too boring and one just doesn't feel like practicing it. But as I have realised the only way to improve RC is by doing as many practice passages as you can, specially the long boring ones. Here I have a major grouse with most test prep companies because they spend pages discussing RC strategy but don't give you enough practice passages. The ones that do (like the OGs) ask too many questions whereas on the GMAT the idea is to skim through the passages since there won't be more than 3-4 questions from each. The only decent practice material i have come across is the RC99 which provides you with 99 boring passages (avg. 3-4 questions each) some of which are really difficult. I religiously did each one of these passages (3 passages a day x 33 days) and this has a numbing effect on you in the sense that i stopped bothering abt the 'boring' part of it and started approaching the questions in a very practical (almost mechanical) manner. Helped me big time and I recommend it to everyone but only if you are willing to do all 99 passages (requires a lot of discipline, specially in the initial stages). If you can do these you won't need anything else for RC believe me.

I spent the last 3-4 weeks only doing full length tests (had bought the Manhattan 6-test package for this and some other free tests). Another mistake that I had made the first time around was not spending enough time analysing the tests; this time i spent more time analysing the tests than taking them and this actually helps specially by revealing trends in the questions that you are getting wrong. For example after 3-4 tests I realised that i was consistently making mistakes on 'Modification' questions in SC so I went back to Manhattan and refreshed my knowledge of Modifiers.

One final word on mental strength - Test day 'nerves' play a major role in pulling down your score as no matter how confident you are the occassion does tend to get to you. Don't know how you can avoid this except to be prepared for it, though this gets better in the 2nd attempt (at least it did for me), probably because you've been there once so you know what to expect.

All in all it turned out well for me in the end :) . Would love to address any specific queries.

Cheers!

Excellent score dude congratulations!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
Hi Shovit, can you suggest something for CR practice with explainations other than OG 12 and 11 and verbal guide ??

Although there's a CR document available on the website of aristotle prep, but it doesn't come with solutions.
You may wanna try doing the CR questions from OG10, since it has explanations too!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Consulting, General Management
Send PM
Congrats!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Congrats for the wonderful improvement. I had an off track query. Why do some user ids like yours and whiplash's appear in green while the others are plain blue. I have also seen someone called "bb" here whose id is in green ? Is it based on the number of points you secure for posting here on the forum ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
hustler22 wrote:
Congrats for the wonderful improvement. I had an off track query. Why do some user ids like yours and whiplash's appear in green while the others are plain blue. I have also seen someone called "bb" here whose id is in green ? Is it based on the number of points you secure for posting here on the forum ?

You are probably looking for this: nink-s-guide-on-how-to-navigate-through-gmatclub-for-newbies-76938.html#p582787

Green = Moderators

Red = Administrators (danger) :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hustler22 wrote:

"bb" is the lord of the gmatclub world. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
shovitdhar wrote:
hustler22 wrote:

"bb" is the lord of the gmatclub world. :-D

Oops! I never knew that. Great to see the "lord" commenting on my post. I'm humbled! :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
@shovit
do you by any chance happen to have the access to the Manhattan gmt Cats and if yes can you please oblige me by sharing th sharing the same :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sorry, i don't have access to the manhattangmat cats anymore. And even if i would have had it i would have probably not shared it because doing so is unethical

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts