Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [23]
Given Kudos: 1128
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: From a full tank containing 729 liters of honey, we pour off "a" litre [#permalink]
Bookmarks
smitsharma wrote:
Suppose a container contains x units of a liquid from which y units are taken out and replaced by water. After n operations, quantity of pure liquid =
x(1−y/x)^n (which in this case = 64)

In this case x = 729
y = a
n = 6

By checking option A. Replace a with 243, equate further, and LHS will match RHS viz. 64.

(This is a CAT question, don't worry. You won't encounter such questions on the GMAT)

nice n crisp explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.04
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
Re: From a full tank containing 729 liters of honey, we pour off "a" litre [#permalink]
smitsharma wrote:
Suppose a container contains x units of a liquid from which y units are taken out and replaced by water. After n operations, quantity of pure liquid =
x(1−y/x)^n (which in this case = 64)

In this case x = 729
y = a
n = 6

By checking option A. Replace a with 243, equate further, and LHS will match RHS viz. 64.

(This is a CAT question, don't worry. You won't encounter such questions on the GMAT)

I see this formula is related to the compound interest formula. But i am not able to relate how is formula applied here? Any help?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
I did not know the formula as well.

However, I was able to answer this quite simply by working backwards from answer choices.

First, I took choice D, which gives 'a' = 90 litres.

Now, if we remove 'a' litres 6 times, we will remove 6*90=540 litres of fluid.
Even if we assume 540 litres as entirely honey (which it is not), then the amount of honey remaining after 6 attempts will be 729-540=189 litres

However, the question says that amount of honey that should remain is only 64 litres, so going by this, the amount being removed has to be far greater than 90 litres.

Conveniently, answer choice A = 243 litres is the only one larger than D, so A is the answer :)

In case you are wondering, how much honey we will actually remove when we use choice D, here is how to work it:

Step 1:
From choice D, a = 90, so we remove 90 from 729 = 639 litres of honey remain

Step 2:
We add a=90 litres of water and remove a=90 litres of mixture.
However, this time, only a fraction of the mixture removed is honey, so we need to calculate amount of honey removed.

Amount of honey in 90 litres of mixture = 90 * Fraction of money in total mixture = 90*\(\frac{639}{729}\) \(\approx{80}\)
Amount of honey remaining = 639-80 = 559 litres

Step 3:
We again add a=90 litres of water and remove a=90 litres of mixture

Now, the fraction of honey in the 90 litres, will now be even less than 80, so if we were to remove it for 3 more steps, the actual of honey removed will get lower and lower, so no need to even do this calculation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts