Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [5]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: From nowhere to 740 (Q49V40) [#permalink]
mbaaspirant80 wrote:
Hi
Congrats for the big score and good luck for app part.
what was your verbal accuracy in 2nd attempt . Also please share your mock tests scores.

I am not sure about the accuracy in the second attempt as I have not yet purchased the enhanced report this time. But as I mentioned in the post, the accuracy in the mocks increased with every passing test.
The mock test scores ranged from 680 to 730 across tests from all the providers.
Current Student
Send PM
Shiv2016 wrote:
Congrats on an amazing score.

You have mentioned in your post that you purchased Veritas tests. How did you find them in terms of accuracy ? How close was the score to the real test?

Thanks

Hi Shiv, I got the Veritas tests free with GMATClub subscription and could also reset the tests after I had exhausted all 7 of their tests. Contrary to the popular belief within my circle, I found the tests very challenging at the beginning and struggled to even complete the Quant on my first two tests. The Quant section is harder in both Veritas and Manhattan tests than the real test. Verbal is pretty much of the same difficulty. My point in the post was that one can learn a great deal through only tests. In my second attempt, I did not go through any of the theory mentioned in the textbooks but religiously reviewed the test answers. The verbal section in Veritas has some good questions but the algorithm is not as per the real test. I found that in Veritas even if you get 3-4 600-700 questions right at a stretch, there are still chances that you will get a question of same difficulty in the next. But in the real test, I found every question more difficult than the previous. Maybe it was because of the testing and the thing it does to your head but the Veritas scoring algorithm is not similar to the real test.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Abhigyanashakuntalam wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

You have mentioned in your post that you purchased Veritas tests. How did you find them in terms of accuracy ? How close was the score to the real test?

Thanks

Hi Shiv, I got the Veritas tests free with GMATClub subscription and could also reset the tests after I had exhausted all 7 of their tests. Contrary to the popular belief within my circle, I found the tests very challenging at the beginning and struggled to even complete the Quant on my first two tests. The Quant section is harder in both Veritas and Manhattan tests than the real test. Verbal is pretty much of the same difficulty. My point in the post was that one can learn a great deal through only tests. In my second attempt, I did not go through any of the theory mentioned in the textbooks but religiously reviewed the test answers. The verbal section in Veritas has some good questions but the algorithm is not as per the real test. I found that in Veritas even if you get 3-4 600-700 questions right at a stretch, there are still chances that you will get a question of same difficulty in the next. But in the real test, I found every question more difficult than the previous. Maybe it was because of the testing and the thing it does to your head but the Veritas scoring algorithm is not similar to the real test.

Thank you for your reply.

You are right about the algorithm. I reviewed my test that I gave yesterday (scored 610: Q45, V29), I found that I did not get any 600 + question even after answering all questions correctly in a row. All questions in Quant were of 500-550 level. This is making me think that may be Q45 is not correct. I say that because if the test was adaptive, I would have faced more challenging questions and the score thus would have varied.

What do you think about this?
Current Student
Send PM
Shiv2016 wrote:
Abhigyanashakuntalam wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

You are right about the algorithm. I reviewed my test that I gave yesterday (scored 610: Q45, V29), I found that I did not get any 600 + question even after answering all questions correctly in a row. All questions in Quant were of 500-550 level. This is making me think that may be Q45 is not correct. I say that because if the test was adaptive, I would have faced more challenging questions and the score thus would have varied.

What do you think about this?

Since GMAC does not openly declare how it makes the test adaptive, testing sites like Veritas, Manhattan, Kaplan etc, try to mimic the pattern using the GMATPrep tests. So even if their tests are also adaptive, but they are not the real deal.
Do not think too much about low scores in mock tests.
Just learn through the questions.
The score you get in the GMATPrep just a few days before the exam, will be reflective of the real situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
i got a 720 with the same split i feel like shooting myself. I know you get different scores with same sectional scores but 20 points more seems too much
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts