Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3663 [312]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [62]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [35]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [5]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo [#permalink]
Kudos
Think this Q tests on modifiers

its clearly between C & E

baggage, yet being so light here baggage is modified it means baggage is so light

E uses it properly
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [7]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ayrish wrote:
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light
(B) baggage being so light
(C) baggage, yet being so light
(D) baggage, and so light
(E) baggage yet was so light

Examine the Main sub and verb.

Menomini crafted a canoe <about...blah blah blah>, which could carry... yet was so light

Canoe could carry .. Yet <canoe> was so light.

So light should modify "Canoe" not "baggage"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [7]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
.... Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide [,with small ribs and rails of cedar, {which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage}] yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

here first bolded area tells about how big was a canoe, the second part contrasts that with such huge dimensions it was yet was so light
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
I thought "yet" was never a good choice. Please could someone explain the usage of 'yet"
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [5]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
If you really break this one down, the main clause in the sentence is:

The Menomini crafted a canoe (Memomini is the subject, crafted the verb, and canoe the object)

then the canoe, the object of the dominant clause, becomes the subject of the subordinate clause:

the canoe could carry...yet was so light...

So "could carry" and "was so light" are verbs that refer back to the canoe.

The good news, at least to me, is that once we've established that we are in the past tense and that we're talking about permanent qualities of the canoe (it WAS light...it wasn't temporarily BEING light), then we need that past-tense "was". So even if you're not fully diagramming that sentence (with apologies to East Middle School's English teacher Mrs. Bain, who did a great job, I absolutely hated diagramming sentences!) I think you can still determine that you need the word "was" and not "being" just through context.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
BKimball wrote:
Let's take a look at some of the other issues in this question:

"being" --> This word is almost always wrong. There's really no reason to ever use it unless you're referring to an "alien being" or a "human being." The reason is that it simply does not add any value to the sentence. The following two sentences mean the same thing:

"Because I was being so cold, I put on a jacket."
"Because I was cold, I put on a jacket."

This is a simple example, but notice how the question above plays with this exact same concept.

"yet" --> When we use the conjunction "yet" or "but" we're indicating a contrast:

"I love cheese, but I hate cream cheese." --> There's a contrast here, so I'd use "but" or "yet."
"I love pizza, and I love lasagna." --> No contrast here, so we use "and."

Notice how the answer choices here play with your ability to decide whether you need to use "yet" or "and."

Just wanted to take this question a bit further. It's always good to dissect an OG problem in as many ways as you possibly can.

Shouldn't yet' mentioned in option E be preceded with a comma? Without that, the construction doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Kindly explain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [3]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
prasannar wrote:
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light
(B) baggage being so light
(C) baggage, yet being so light
(D) baggage, and so light
(E) baggage yet was so light

Tough one IMO. As I am finding in many 700 level questions, and as the GOAT GMATNinja says, the best way to eliminate answer choices is based on MEANING.

siyer did a great job of reducing the sentence. Let's do that real quick.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage..."

Right off the bat, I'm noticing a construction of "could carry X or Y" Our answer choices are all after "Y" (baggage), so we need to figure out what the purpose is for everything after Y.

The quick answer? Everything after Y needs to be modifying "canoe", but some answer choices modify "baggage."

prasannar wrote:
(A) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

I fell for this answer. I misinterpreted the meaning.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapids."

I thought that everything after "baggage" was just modifying "baggage." But what would that mean? The baggage was so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapid?

Wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense. The person wouldn't be portaging the baggage around rapids. They would be portaging the canoe around rapids. Therefore we need everything after baggage to be modifying canoe, not "baggage."

Eliminate based on MEANING.

prasannar wrote:
(B) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage being so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

BKimball did a great job explaining the problem with "being." Further, this answer choice makes the same mistake as (A). Everything after "baggage" would be modifying "baggage" instead of "canoe."

Eliminate based on MEANING and grammar.

prasannar wrote:
(C) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage, yet being so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

Same issue as (B), "being" is wrong here. But since we have a comma after "baggage", I think we are actually OK from a meaning perspective, everything after "baggage" is referring to "canoe", which is good. Nonetheless, "being" is not needed.

Eliminate based on grammar.

prasannar wrote:
(D) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage, and so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

Yuck. Let's look at our reduced sentence for this answer choice.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage, and so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapids."

The "comma + and" is wrong here. If we're going to have a comma + and, I think we need an independent clause. But we don't have a verb after the comma + and.

Eliminate based on grammar.

prasannar wrote:
(E) From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

I was unable to eliminate this one, but like I mentioned earlier, I sheepishly still chose (A). But when we dive into the meaning, this one is the most clear and concise.

The "yet" introduces a contrast.

"The Menomini crafted a canoe, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around violent rapids.

*Thinking out loud:* So the Menomi crafted a canoe, it could carry X or Y, yet (the canoe) was so light that a person could portage it around violent rapids.

This makes sense from a meaning perspective. I kind of wish we had a comma before "yet." Maybe a grammar expert can explain why we don't need a comma?

Regardless, there's nothing clearly wrong with this sentence, and it's the only other answer choice aside from (C) and (D) that conveys the correct meaning by having the modifier after "baggage" refer to "canoe."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Kudos
himanshumalhotra1990 wrote:
BKimball wrote:
Let's take a look at some of the other issues in this question:

"being" --> This word is almost always wrong. There's really no reason to ever use it unless you're referring to an "alien being" or a "human being." The reason is that it simply does not add any value to the sentence. The following two sentences mean the same thing:

"Because I was being so cold, I put on a jacket."
"Because I was cold, I put on a jacket."

This is a simple example, but notice how the question above plays with this exact same concept.

"yet" --> When we use the conjunction "yet" or "but" we're indicating a contrast:

"I love cheese, but I hate cream cheese." --> There's a contrast here, so I'd use "but" or "yet."
"I love pizza, and I love lasagna." --> No contrast here, so we use "and."

Notice how the answer choices here play with your ability to decide whether you need to use "yet" or "and."

Just wanted to take this question a bit further. It's always good to dissect an OG problem in as many ways as you possibly can.

Shouldn't yet' mentioned in option E be preceded with a comma? Without that, the construction doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Kindly explain.

could anyone answer this question that I bold it in red color ???? I do not know why "yet" did not get comma in preceding ?!?! although conjunction need comma !
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [15]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos