It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 11:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 600 [0], given: 0

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2008, 21:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:00) correct 47% (01:11) wrong based on 687 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light
(B) baggage being so light
(C) baggage, yet being so light
(D) baggage, and so light
(E) baggage yet was so light
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Kudos [?]: 600 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2008, 09:37
for a canoe four hundred pounds and eighty pound is not light rather it is heavy so the intention of the sentence is contrast.
therefore we use -YET
though - so ....adj /adv...that - is correct idom it does not go with the sentence

and also the sentence described about the past for this -was- is perfect
thatswhy ans is E

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2009, 23:39
Think this Q tests on modifiers

its clearly between C & E

baggage, yet being so light here baggage is modified it means baggage is so light

E uses it properly

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 412

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1059 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2009, 21:00
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
Please can anyone help? I chose C.
Cedar, which could carry baggage yet being so light that a person could portage it.

320. From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.
(A) baggage so light

E is a right one.

Please Don't post the OA right away.

Examine the Main sub and verb.

Menomini crafted a canoe <about...blah blah blah>, which could carry... yet was so light

Canoe could carry .. Yet <canoe> was so light.

So light should modify "Canoe" not "baggage"

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1059 [1], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 949 [1], given: 621

GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2010, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
.... Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide [,with small ribs and rails of cedar, {which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage}] yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

here first bolded area tells about how big was a canoe, the second part contrasts that with such huge dimensions it was yet was so light

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 949 [1], given: 621

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 103 [1], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2010, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
Reduce the sentence to
'The Menomini crafted a canoe which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage..'

A & B refer to the weight of the baggage and not that of the canoe.
We can easily eliminate A & B.

Of the remaining, E is the best formed answer.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Kudos [?]: 103 [1], given: 25

7 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 261 [7], given: 7

Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let's take a look at some of the other issues in this question:

"being" --> This word is almost always wrong. There's really no reason to ever use it unless you're referring to an "alien being" or a "human being." The reason is that it simply does not add any value to the sentence. The following two sentences mean the same thing:

"Because I was being so cold, I put on a jacket."
"Because I was cold, I put on a jacket."

This is a simple example, but notice how the question above plays with this exact same concept.

"yet" --> When we use the conjunction "yet" or "but" we're indicating a contrast:

"I love cheese, but I hate cream cheese." --> There's a contrast here, so I'd use "but" or "yet."
"I love pizza, and I love lasagna." --> No contrast here, so we use "and."

Notice how the answer choices here play with your ability to decide whether you need to use "yet" or "and."

Just wanted to take this question a bit further. It's always good to dissect an OG problem in as many ways as you possibly can.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 261 [7], given: 7

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 7

Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2011, 15:03
DenisSh wrote:
321. From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of [u]baggage so light/u] that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

(A) baggage so light

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Initially I also went for A but after reading further came to the following few notes:

- This sentence is not complete with a coordinating conjunction i.e. "yet". Yet is also required to make sentence logical: "A canoe could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet the canoe was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids".
Eliminate A,B and D.

- Avoid using "being" in gmat to the possible extent. Eliminate B. Remains E.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:58
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of [u]baggage so light/u] that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids

Here Canoe (small boat) is referred by which in the sentence, you can portage it .. here again it is referring the Canoe not to baggage.. So yet was so light is correct answer .. E

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2011, 12:15
Let me break the sentence and then I will ask the qusn -

From the bark of the paper birch tree - (modifies Menomini)
Clause 1 -
the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage
Clause 2 -
yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

My Qusn - Shouldnt the subject of clause 1 be subject of clause 2?

In this case - "Menomini"

Please let me know if I am wrong theoretically. I know rhetorically Canoe sounds correct.

Thanks
Sumeet

Thanks
Sumeet
http://www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 07:03
vanidhar wrote:
From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet
wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage
so light
that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.
(A) baggage so light

The original sentence intends to contrast two qualities of the canoe but fails to do so using 'so' .Hence (A) is wrong.

(B) and (C) - unnecessarily wordy - 'being' is not required in both cases.
(D) 'and' does not show the intended contrast. Also, ', + and' should introduce an independent clause.

Left with (E), which is the correct answer.

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 98

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 17:24
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [2], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
BKimball wrote:

"being" --> This word is almost always wrong. There's really no reason to ever use it unless you're referring to an "alien being" or a "human being." The reason is that it simply does not add any value to the sentence. The following two sentences mean the same thing:

This is a simple example, but notice how the question above plays with this exact same concept.

"yet" --> When we use the conjunction "yet" or "but" we're indicating a contrast:

"I love cheese, but I hate cream cheese." --> There's a contrast here, so I'd use "but" or "yet."

Notice how the answer choices here play with your ability to decide whether you need to use "yet" or "and."

Just wanted to take this question a bit further. It's always good to dissect an OG problem in as many ways as you possibly can.

Shouldn't yet' mentioned in option E be preceded with a comma? Without that, the construction doesn't make sense, in my opinion. Kindly explain.

Kudos [?]: 4 [2], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 07:20
BKimball wrote:

Hello Brett,

May you give us some comments about the too far placement of "which", why is such too far placement permitted?

Regards,

Manuel

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2017, 07:20

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe abo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap