FINAL DECISION
SORT BY
Most helpful
SORT BY
Recent interviewed
SORT BY
Recent posted
Debrief posted on  Feb 18 2019 [#permalink] Fuqua, Full Time MBA
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 17 2019 Final Decision: Waitlisted with Interview

"Behavioural questions where I was meant to reference the work experiences he wanted, based on my resume. Some Fuqua questions and goals but very little in comparison. And then engaging with him in the end may have taken 30 mins. I asked questions about returning to India and classes that were helpful. Entire process took 2 hours which was way longer than I expected"

shah8 WE: 48 months;
0 out of 0 people found this Debrief helpful.

Was this Debrief helpful for you?

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 28 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 27 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"I recently had my interview with an Alumn in my country. In total, the interview lasted for 1 hour with about 40 minutes of questions and 20 minutes of QA / discussion about the school. I'm not sure if he has read my resume or not, but he didn't appear to have it in front of him. Anyway, the interviewer started with a short intro about themselves then asked me to walk them me through my resume Then; *Why an MBA *Why Fuqua * Post MBA Goals (ST/LT and why these goals) * How can Fuqua help you achieve these goals specifically Then we moved onto behavioral There was 5 questions chosen from a list of questions that seem to be issued by Fuqua. I can't remember exactly but the questions were along the lines of 1) Tell me about a time you had to influence a decision 2) What is your leadership style / what makes a good leader and how do you motivate a team 3) What is 3 characteristics of a successful team 4) What unique aspect can you bring to the program 5) can't remember exactly what the 5th one was. The interviewer took a lot of notes. They also generally didn't probe too deep into my responses. I'm not sure if this was by design or because we come from completely different fields. The interview was very pleasant and casual and overall I am very happy with how it went. It seemed to be very fit focused"

AUSJ GMAT 700;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 26 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 26 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"First, she introduced herself, her background, how she came to Fuqua, how Fuqua helped her grow in her career, some experience at Fuqua. I managed to ask a question at this time too. This part took around 5 minutes. Then change to me. 1) Tell me about yourself, why MBA, why the US, why Fuqua (all were asked at once, I only answered up to why the US, then later on she asked why Fuqua again. She didn’t ask long-term/ short-term goals specifically but I mentioned them in my answers). 2) Why Fuqua 3) More about my current job, why I chose this job, how it relates to my long-term goal 4) Some short questions/ clarification about my background, such as whether I was scholarship during university. 5) She was particularly interested in one of my volunteer experiences. She asked me what I did there. I took this opportunity to tell a 2-3min story. That’s it! So simple right? No behavioral questions! This section took around 20-30min. Then I asked her some questions too. Around 5min. In total 40-50min. In summary, it was very nice talking to her. I was super stressed before the interview but felt so good after it. I must say it is because Fuqua people are super nice! So all the best to all of you who are still waiting for your interview. Take it easy, don’t worry, be confident!"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 13 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
Skype Interviewed on: Nov 01 2018 Final Decision: Interviewed

"Tell me about yourself. Told me to not worry as he was not looking for reasons to dismiss me. Just make sure I would fit well at Fuqua. Asked about my time at university. Describe a project at work. What was the most important things thing you learnt on that project? Another example where you utilised this learning. Qualities of a leader. Most important quality of a leader. Why should a team listen to you if you’re made the leader? An example in your life of failed teamwork. An example where you had to deal with a non cooperative member on the team. How did you manage it? Clubs and activities you would like to participate in at Fuqua. Questions for me. He answered in detail and with examples and nuances. It was more like a conversation. He was very warm and welcoming. Thoroughly enjoyed my interview. Lasted 40mins (30+10 Q/A)"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Dec 04 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
On Campus Interviewed on: Sep 28 2018 Final Decision: Admitted

"Interviewed with a second year student. He had definitely taken some time to look through my resume and ask questions based on what was on there: 1) Resume specific question about a particular challenge of my industry and my position in it 2) Tell me about a time you had to be creative at work 3) Why an MBA? 4) Why Fuqua? 5) Can you tell me about a team conflict and how you overcame it? 6) Can you tell me about a time where you put somebody else's needs before your own? 7) Can you tell me about a time where you made a mistake or failed? 8) How do you see yourself getting involved at Fuqua? There was plenty of time to ask questions--be prepared for this! I probably got to ask 6-8 questions which was more than I had anticipated and our conversation kept going based on his responses and follow ups. There were no questions intended to test or challenge, it seems like they genuinely want to make sure you understand Team Fuqua and the community because it is so team-based."

This user wants to stay Private from United States

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Nov 27 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
Skype Interviewed on: Sep 14 2018 Final Decision: Matriculating

"Interviewed in the afternoon on Skype, was supposed to interview on campus, but weather was bad and the campus was closed for the day. Relatively conversational interview, started out with the interviewer telling me about herself and rolling right into what my short-term goal was and why Fuqua. Moved into more behavioral questions that I am having trouble remembering, but they were mostly name a time when, or walk me through how you dealt with x. Have your story down and make sure to really show some enthusiasm for Fuqua and what you hope to bring to the campus. One question caught me off guard, What is something you expected me to ask you? I didnt have a good answer, but the interviewer was very kind and easy to speak with so it went fine. Overall, don't stress too much, just come prepared to talk about your goals, Fuqua, and have work/personal stories prepared for the behavioral questions."

sgw131 from United States GMAT 710; WE: 60 months; Other

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 20 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 20 2018 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"I had my Fuqua interview today. It was a great talk, I felt really comfortable. Questions being asked: - Why MBA now and why Fuqua? - How do you work in teams? - How would your friends and family describe you? - Which clubs and activities would you like to join/do at Fuqua? - LTG/STG It was really conversational. Hope it helps"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 02 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
On Campus Interviewed on: Oct 24 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"I had my interview with a second year student on campus during the open interview period. My interviewer carried himself very well, looks like they are well trained. He started off by describing his background and asked about mine. This was followed by the usual questions- 1) Why MBA? 2) Why Fuqua? 3) How will you contribute? 4) Leadership experience and what you learnt from that? 6) Tell me about a time when you failed? I spoke about a careless mistake I made and he was happy that I shared it with him. 7) Teamwork experience-few follow up questions regarding that. 8) One minute pitch to Adcom. At the end he gave me the opportunity to ask few questions. I asked him about a time when he faced difficulty working in team at Fuqua and what he did about that, not sure if it was appropriate to ask. I think preparation is the key-when you know that you are doing well for the first few questions, nervousness goes away and you begin to feel more confident. My advice is to prepare well, especially the inevitable first few questions-about yourself, why MBA and why Fuqua. A quick note regarding Fuqua application- its online app is outdated and exhaustive. I made few spelling mistakes in the app and realized them after submitting. Please make sure you double check the work so that you don't end up losing sleep."

sveniga4 from United States GMAT 760; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Oct 13 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"Hello Peeps, I had my interview last Sunday at a Cafe in Mumbai with an Alum. Sharing my experience for the benefit of those who are gonna interview in later rounds. First of all I would like to say that the best way to approach this interview is to think of it as a conversation with an Alum. 1. Discuss your aspirations, goals and even queries earnestly. 2. At the same time treat it as a formal interview in terms of your dressing and language. 3. Try to give specific examples for each aspect you are talking about I was asked questions on the following aspects: 1. Go through your resume 2. Why MBA 3. Why Duke 4. Any experience as a leader where you failed. What did you learn? (I had given a non work related example) 5. Follow up question- How did you apply this learning in your professional life? 6. Strengths/Weaknesses 7. What will you do if some one from the team is not performing ? 8. Any example of collaboration that you have achieved ? 9. Any questions for me ? Just be cool, confident and yourself during the interview. All the best folks !!! Ping me up if you need any help otherwise."

madmax2017 from India GMAT 750; Consumer Products

yes
no
Off Campus with current Student Interviewed on: Oct 02 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"I had my interview last night with a 2Y, "Admissions Fellow." The interview was very conversational, and felt more just like interacting with a friend than anything else. My interviewer was very personable and I really enjoyed the interaction. All the basic questions were asked; here's a snapshot below: - Walk me through your resume. - Why MBA - Why Fuqua - Short term goals - Time you received constructive criticism - Time you failed - What does a typical Saturday look like? - What's the most important part of being on a team? - What activities do you want to get involved in at Fuqua? Don't be stressed about the Duke interview- it's actually a lot of fun. Good luck!"

trw1987 from United States GMAT 730;

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Feb 01 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
Skype Interviewed on: Feb 24 2017 Final Decision: Interviewed

"My interview experience was a very pleasant one. I had a video chat with one of the Admissions representative, and she was very kind and her questions were on point. Nothing too tricky, but in depth questions to try to understand your personality and your fit with the program. Once you qualify for an interview, it means they already like your credentials and everything you submitted on your application, so it is important to show your true self and to try to connect with the interviewer so that they feel confident that your presence in the classroom will definitely contribute to a diverse, healthy and collaborative class. I felt very comfortable with my interviewer and would recommend applying to Duke, Fuqua School of Business for their good values, best professors and best overall experience!"

yes
no
Debrief posted on  Jan 31 2018 [#permalink] Fuqua
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Feb 13 2017 Final Decision: Admitted

"Just got done with my Fuqua Round 1 interview with an alumnus in India. I'll be honest: it wasn't my best interview. Although the interview questions were fairly standard, the interviewer's reactions to my responses seemed far from encouraging. I felt that a lot more questions than usual were focused on my weaknesses, preconceived notions about me, and criticisms. Other questions included Why MBA, Why particularly in the US, Why Fuqua, Contribution to Fuqua, Career Goals, and a lot of behavioural questions. The interview lasted about 50 minutes. At this point, I'm not sure I can expect too much from Fuqua; but I'm not ruling it off just yet. Good luck to the others."

Hormazd91 from India GMAT 770;

yes
no
Skype Interviewed on: Feb 05 2016 Final Decision: Admitted

"I had scheduled a skype interview. Had it on 13th. Had a great experience. The interviewer was a 2nd yr, really nice person. He appeared to have some standard set of questions. Questions appeared pretty normal to me - - walk me through your resume. - leadership experience in a team where you faced difficulties. - teamwork experiences (conflict situation) - an achievement as a leader. - a time when you failed at something. - most constructive feedback that you have received, how did you react to it? A second situation where you applied the learning from that feedback. - what differentiates you from other applicants? - your biggest weakness (one) and how are you working on it? - what past experiences have prepared you for your future ambitions and how fuqua will help you? - what does team fuqua mean to you? - how will you build further on your leadership skills at fuqua? - what clubs/activities are you looking forward to? - any questions from me? Experience was great as I mentioned earlier. He was very friendly and we started off with a chat about how I was staying back in office for the interview and then a bit about Tata group after which we started with the questions. We had a few light moments as well! In the end, he also told me that I did well and wished me best for other parts of the process."

ambarisha from India GMAT 760; Manufacturing

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Feb 05 2016 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"Interviewed on campus. Let me try my best to recollect all the conversation: 1. The 2nd year student called out my name at the lounge where all prospects were sitting and busy talking to FY students. 2. Greeting each other we went to a room close by. 3. She had read my resume and had made notes on it. She told me that she'll be making a lot if notes during the next 45 minutes and that I wouldn't worry about it. 4. She introduced herself and II did so too. 5. She said my story and need for a MBA made perfect sense. 6. She said her brother tried entrepreneurship like me and felt that he wouldn't be able to be a part of a structured learning environment and asked me what I thought about it. 7. She asked me what I thought of as a good leadership style and asked me to share what type of a leader I think I'm. 8. Why Duke 9. A challenging team work experience 10. What makes me nervous 11. Which round I was applying in 12. Anything I wish to say that she didn't ask 13. Questions for her Feeling during and after the "conversation" was like any other conversation with a friend. It was very simple and friendly."

AdmitJA from India GMAT 710; Accounting

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 24 2015 Final Decision: Interviewed

"I am a reapplicant and I submitted my application in Early action. I had my interview(open-interview session) on-campus yesterday. I thought I will share my experience. 1) The visit to campus was awesome. There are FY students who are available at any time to answer your questions. They are all very friendly and supportive. They know what you are going through as they were on the same boat last year. 2) My interview was very casual. Here are some of the questions. -Walk me through your resume -Why Duke? -What was the constructive feedback that you ever gave to someone and how did the issue get resolved? -What was the constructive feedback that you received and...? -what motivates you the most? -What are some aspects that you liked about a team that you were part of? (I think it was framed differently but this kinda sums up! It was very conversational and the questions are kinda linked to one another). -What is your leadership style? -How would you contribute to Duke? -Tell me something about yourself that you haven't shared with the adcom before? -What are your hobbies? -questions for me? Overall, the SY students are trained very well. They are passionate about the school and want to know whether you fit in. Interview was very conversational. I had a very good vibe about it. I answered a question and the interviewer either nodded in agreement or added some new information related to it. It is like talking to a friend over lunch. There was a lot of back and forth conversation. I know that my reply might be late for the open interview session but for those of you who might be called in for interview, hope this helps. Good luck to all. Also, I got a chance to sit in a class and the overall experience is great. Duke is definitely one of the best schools!"

yes
no
Off Campus with Alumni Interviewed on: Nov 24 2015 Final Decision: Denied with Interview

"I just had my in-person, off-site interview with a Fuqua alum (class of 2015). Similar to my Kellogg in-person interview, the questions were not your typical cookie-cutter "Walk me through your resume", "What are your short- / long-term goals", etc. These were a lot more behavioral, and I found myself talking a lot about lessons I had learned working in teams - both as a leader and as a follower. The questions require a lot more introspection, and it is very difficult to provide canned responses to them (and I actually like their method). Some of the bang-on questions you would have seen shared already include: 1. What does Team Fuqua mean to you and why? 2. What differentiates you from other applicants? 3. If admitted, what will you bring to Fuqua as a student? In what ways will you contribute? 4. What qualities of mine am I most proud of? (and after I gave a response to those, there were follow-up questions on specific examples of times when I exhibited those qualities.) 5. Give me an example of constructive feedback you have received and tell me about a specific instance of where you have applied that. 6. What surprised you most from your most recent performance review? I think that to do well in this interview, one needs to have at least five good stories with multiple lessons that you can call on if needed. Thinking back, I don't even think I talked about my short- or long-term goals at all. When I realized the pattern the interview was taking, I wove in some of my long-term goals and reasons I like Fuqua into some of my responses to other questions. All said, I think it went well. I didn't have time for questions in the end, but we did have a chat about class specializations, switching careers, Dan Ariely, and Duke sports. All the best to everyone preparing for their Fuqua interviews!"

abduabd GMAT 670; Energy and Utilities

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 20 2015 Final Decision: Admitted

"My interview was with a second year student on campus. I waited in the waiting area with other interviewees then was taken to a small two person interview room. Brief introductions and chatter. Talked about the recent basketball camp out. Interviewer did not look at my resume beforehand. Asked me to walk through my resume. I was then asked many, many questions, I believe my interviewer was looking to get enough material to write his/her review. Questions were standard such as -- why mba, -- why fuqua, -- pitch yourself to admissions, -- name a weakness/strength, -- what makes you stand out etc. Interviewer was very pleasant throughout, at no time did I feel grilled. Interviewer ended interview by handing over card and stating that he/she was there to help and to reach out with any questions. Total time of about 40 minutes. I was worried about a couple things but neither hurt me: scheduled an interview only and skipped tour and class due to workload, dressed more towards consultant than banker attire (on the casual side)"

yes
no
On Campus Interviewed on: Nov 20 2015 Final Decision: Matriculating

"I took the opportunity to visit campus last week and have my interview, which was very casual, zero pressure. Qs that I remember: Tell me about yourself Why MBA Why now Why Duke (very subtle, not a direct question) Qualities of a good leader What do you do in stressful team situations, give an example What role do you play in teams What sort of feedback did have you received What are your strengths/weaknesses What motivates you What will you contribute to Fuqua As a re-applicant, what have you done to strengthen your candidacy What would you say to adcom for 1 minute Qs for the interviewer Now the hard part comes, wait till December... Best of luck to everyone."

kabayero14 GMAT 660; Consumer Products

yes
no
Skype Interviewed on: Nov 02 2015 Final Decision: Matriculating

"Had my interview today, thought I would post a debrief: Interview was with an alum in India over Skype (I am in Mumbai, he is in Hyderabad). It was a very conversational interview, as is expected from Fuqua. The guy was very amiable and instantly put me at ease. He asked the following questions: - Walk me through your profile. We spent a good 7-8 minutes on this, because he wanted to know more about some of the things I have done. - Tell me about one piece of constructive criticism you have received and how did you work on it. (This question cam up earlier than I thought, so the flow of the interview was a little different) - Tell me about a good team work experience that you have had. - What would your current Manager see you as? - What is your biggest weakness? - How will Fuqua help you overcome this weakness? - What are top 2-3 initiatives that you want to be a part of at Fuqua? - Why MBA? Why now? Why Fuqua? (This one came last, by this time we had talked about everything. So I gave him my top 3 reasons for the first two questions. By then, he said ok I already know the reasons you want to go to Fuqua, so let's not discuss this) Then couple of questions for him and bye bye. Hope this is helpful for people."

anupamgupta2112 from India GMAT 740; Consulting

yes
no